Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, since surgery 8 weeks ago, I have been having heart palpitations. Had another ekg, and my Pcp and Bariatric nurse both guessed electrolyte imbalance. 1st labs come back fine, so no electrolyte imbalance.

It happens after I eat, but not always. Ham, Tomato Soup w/1/2 grilled cheese, chicken tenders, all cause my heart rate to go over 120, sometimes up to a few hours. I'm not always hitting my Protein goal, get my Water and stay under 60 carbs total.

White bread toast doesn't make it happen, nor did a soft serve ice cream cone.

So, nurse thinks dumping, even though my only symptoms is palpitations and feeling like I have to sit down. I've seen anecdotal evidence that this is normal digestive processing for some Bariatric patients.

As a side note, my BP monitor has thrown the irregular heart beat indicator a handful of times since surgery. But no one seems concerned.

Anyone else have a similar experience? My current bmi is 29, and I'm off cholesterol meds, BP meds and my sugar is not high any more. So a real heart problem isn't super high on my worry list. Could I just be super sensitive to carbs and be one of those who easily dump post sleeve? If so, at least it's an easy fix.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm going to ask the obvious question..

Why in the hell are you eating all of that at 8 weeks post-op? I was on soft baked fish and Protein Shakes at that point.

I dumped once in the first 6 months and it was my fault for eating something I shouldn't.

You might be hypoglycemic.

Overall you need to adjust your eating habits

I have excuses for all of these things. Being sick for 9 days and wanting a piece of toast one day, and then a small soft serve to soothe my throat. Hubby being sick so we stop for Soup and I have a few bites of grilled cheese. I'm not perfect. 1 piece of toast, an ice cream, a few chicken tenders ... if this the worst that I've strayed from my plan, I'm OK with it. I've logged it and am meeting my Fluid, Protein and weight loss goals. My plan had me on regular food after 1 week, though I didn't make perfect choices a few times. The ham was allowed on my plan.

It may be due to carbs, if I eat a lot of carbs I get flushed. I have a friend who got heart palpitations from eating too many carbs while she was doing ketogenics.

I still limit my carbs (1 year 8 months post surgery) I rarely eat bread and/or breading. I agree with Outside I would change your eating habits. Weight loss is easy the first year but after that it is all about what you eat not how much you eat. Go back to your surgeons plan and start there. Protein first then veggies then carbs. I would eliminate chicken tenders and make baked chicken, no more grilled cheese, no Soups (no protein in them.)

I agree. Seems you need to clean up your diet and make better choices. Sooth your sick throat with ice or yogurt next time.

Well, the weekend was a fail. Experienced 'dumping' with sugar free pudding and a chocolate muscle milk Protein Shake.

thanks for the feedback.

I have had this happen one time exactly two days ago... I am not sure if it is because I ate one two many bites, I had about 8-10 bites or Im not sure if It was the frozen yogurt ice pop I however had my heart wanting to explode out of my chest I became hot and dizzy worst feeling I have had since pre-op I walked for nearly two hours around my yard until finally it stopped. I do hope it happens to get better for you as I never want it to happen again :( mannnnnn Sending good vibes your way

I am 8 weeks post bypass and my new plan which is still minced or soft has grilled cheese no crusts. I haven't had it yet though. I'm not sure if I want to reintroduce bread. I also buy Soups but choose the meaty ones they can have up to 13gm of Protein. At first I pureed them now I leave them as they are. Twice I felt bad after eating but didn't get dumping. The first one was one of those liquid Breakfast things. In auto mode I opened the carton and drank with the straw! Made me feel sick for hours. 2nd I made grilled chicken in the health grill and veges. The chicken was nice and tender but still to dense even with a dab of gravy. Dumping is like an unknown entity different for everyone. One lady was fine with all foods until she had an egg and had dumping. With the foods you mentioned it could be the sugar and fat content. Tomato based soups seem to be high in sugar and salt. Fat in the grilled cheese if it was buttered on the outside and chicken tenders even the bake one have loads of fat to keep them from going dry. I would take a step back and slowly introduce foods. My dietitian said from this stage the food is all trial and error if one food doesn't suit don't have again until the next phase.

Sent from my CPH1607 using BariatricPal mobile app

I've never experienced dumping with the sleeve personally and I've eaten things I probably shouldn't have at this point, however I'm over 9 months out and 13 pounds from goal, so I might not be much help.

I'm wondering if the issue is that your to early out of surgery for your stomach to handle some things. I know your plan might call for it but you might not be able to "stomach" it. I've noticed that eggs I have to stay away from now because my body just can't handle it anymore. I don't have a heart issue but more of a digestion issue.

Also it seems to be items with sugar/carbs or sugar supplements that are giving you an issue so you might just have to avoid simple carbs and sugars for awhile and try to slowly add them back in when you are closer to goal. Your stomach is still healing at 8 weeks post op so it might just be to early to process them right.

Edited by Sullie06