Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing for Hospital

I highly doubt that my husband (who had gastric bypass last year) worried or even thought ahead to what clothes he was taking to the hospital to wear home. So I thought I would post this here, because ladies may care a little more about that comfort! What did you, or what will you, bring with you to the hospital to wear home? I'm still a month away from surgery and my mind goes everywhere right now, and this is where it has landed for the moment. Ha! I want something comfortable, that won't bother the incisions, that I can wear around the house in those first few days.

You basically need nothing. They give you everything. The less you bring the better.

I had surgery in the middle of summer so I wore a summer maxi dress. I purchased a wire free leisure bra that fastened in the front.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I know in the hospital that you don't need anything. I was looking more at the ride home and to wear at home. A light weight Maxi dress is what I was thinking of.

My hosptial was about 45 minutes away. I wore the same dress there and home. Make sure you have a pillow for your stomach for the car ride home.

I would add, a bottle of Water for the ride home. Especially if you have the scopolamine patch. (This is especially true if you’re out patient like I was) that patch gives you cotton mouth so bad.

I wore my MUMU's. And make sure they have a zipper or snaps because you don't want to lift your arms over your head. Ditto on the pillow/ Also be sure to bring slippers that have rubber soles the hospital floors are slippery BIG TIME!!! Good luck on your journey!!! I only wish I could have been more like your hubby about what to bring!! I believe that women stress so much more than men!! We stress (or I do anyway) about EVERYTHING!!!!

I had the lap band a few years ago, and didn't overthink that surgery as much because it was outpatient. This one, gastric bypass, they ha e told me to prepare to be there 3 days. I'm thinking about it way more!

I took way too much stuff to the hospital. But I did wear in a pair of soft leggings and a tunic, and a wireless bra and I wore them home as well, I had a rolled up towel instead of a pillow. I took boy short knickers as they sit under the waist so didn't bother my incision sites. But honestly at the hospital. I took 3 pairs of pajamas and only used one pair because most of the time I was in a hospital gown. I soooo over packed

LOL as @OutsideMatchInside said...the less the better. I've had a bunch of surgeries and really the 3 things I ever need are: 1 new cheap pair of slippers (cuz I will toss them in the trash in my hospital room when I leave--no C Diff or MRSA for this gal!), 1 toothbrush, and THE most important thing--a soft standard size pillow for the ride home.

I just wore the same stretchy pants and tunic I wore to the hospital to go home--no bra (but I'd had breast surgeries and I've not worn a bra since them).

I was sleeved on 9/25. The same thing I wore to the hospital is the same thing I wore home. I took a change of underwear, my phone and charger that's it. Truthfully I didn't even need my phone or charger because the last thing I wanted to do was to talk to anyone. They provide everything you need.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Just now, readytolose727 said:

I was sleeved on 9/25. The same thing I wore to the hospital is the same thing I wore home. I took a change of underwear, my phone and charger that's it. Truthfully I didn't even need my phone or charger because the last thing I wanted to do was to talk to anyone. They provide everything you need.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I went commando the whole time, cuz the last thing I wanted to do was have to pull down and pull up my underroos when I had incisions everywhere. :)

So glad this was brought up because my wheels were starting to turn about the very same thing. I'm shocked about the "less is more" but pleased. Now I don't have to fret so much about what to bring.

I brought a robe so that I could take walks without mooning everyone on the ward. I also brought a toothbrush and toothpaste, 1 pair of pajamas (because I get so cold and knew the hospital Johnny would not be adequate warmth) I brought a Super soft fluffy blanket, phone and charger, chapstick because my lips always get so dry, hairbrush and pony tail things, 2 clean pairs of panties, and slippers with actual rubber soles. I wore the same pants home but brought a clean blouse because I didn't want any cooties close to my incisions from previously worn clothing. Even if I did only wear it for 2 hours on the way to the hospital. My hubby had a nice new bottle of Water for me for the ride home.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using BariatricPal mobile app

One thing I can say is make sure your clothes either snap or button because you don't want to lift your arms over your head. Slippers that don't slip hospital floors can be easy to fall on. A pillow might help for the ride home, if you have very far to go. Congratulations to you all.