Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all October sleevers!!

@ProfessorSlim - try some greek yogurt, it has lots of Protein - stir just a little no sugar jam in it. Maybe you are still swollen and need a little more time. Drink warm tea right before trying anything, don't worry about the rule of stopping drinking 30 min before food at this point - that is for when you are on solid food - all we do all day at this point is to get all the liquids and all the protein in any way we can. Hang in there.

Thanks Sosewsue, I wish I did not hate all types of yogurt, but I do. I think I will stick with Protein Shakes, soft boiled eggs, cream or wheat (I might sprinkle some unflavored Protein Powder in it) and Soup for now. No need to rush things and feel gross. Thanks for your response!!

My surgeon allowed me soft foods one week post-op. I had none of the nausea or complications others endured.

I was the same way. I can eat what I want now

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 235
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

I am 3 weeks and 1 day post op and feeling great. Here are some pics to show my progress so far. The first is me at roughly my high weight of 355. The next are the day after surgery, Oct 23, 2017. The last 2 were taken a few minutes ago. I have already gone from a size 48 pant to a size 40, and down to 282lbs

Fat Lyle.jpg

Post Surgery 11-24-2017 (2).jpg

Post Surgery 11-24-2017.jpg

3 weeks post op 11-14-2017 (2).jpg

3 weeks post op 11-14-2017.jpg

Hello everyone. Great to hear how we Octobers are doing so well. I was sleeved 10/27 and my weight was 237lbs, this morning I was 213 and I can sure tell. I have pulled clothes out of the closet that had not been worn in a while and it feels good! Actually, feels great.

I had no complications at all from surgery, just a LOT of gas discomfort the first couple of days but not really much pain. I am still on liquids and purees and have no hunger. I pretty much have to remind myself to eat and while my Dr doesn't care about me counting calories I am maybe averaging 500-600 if that. But what I do eat I have no problem at all eating, just bored to death with it. Does this resonate with anyone?

Now my big question for those of you out longer is what should I expect when I start eating solids? I have yet to feel full, though I don't feel hungry, and quite frankly given the amount of liquids I can easily drink it sort of surprises me I don't feel full. I know it's just my old obese brain f'ing with me but I keep feeling like am doing something wrong. My Dr said I can have a fluffy omelette tomorrow (Woohoo!) and flaky white fish Friday before I see him on Saturday again. I will also meet the exercise guru Saturday and she will hopefully clear me for some restricted gym time though with my current energy levels am not sure how much I will do. Maybe they will ask me to force myself to down more Protein which for now they have kept me at about 30 grams, and YES from reading everyone else's posts I do realize this is low but who am I to argue with this awesome Dr who I've had such great results with so far and has been doing this for 20+ years. At any rate, any advice/prep-talk I can get for solids and hopefully feeling full will be very welcomed.

Congrats @lpsouth1978 looking good!

18 minutes ago, Bruno1966 said:

Hello everyone. Great to hear how we Octobers are doing so well. I was sleeved 10/27 and my weight was 237lbs, this morning I was 213 and I can sure tell. I have pulled clothes out of the closet that had not been worn in a while and it feels good! Actually, feels great.

I had no complications at all from surgery, just a LOT of gas discomfort the first couple of days but not really much pain. I am still on liquids and purees and have no hunger. I pretty much have to remind myself to eat and while my Dr doesn't care about me counting calories I am maybe averaging 500-600 if that. But what I do eat I have no problem at all eating, just bored to death with it. Does this resonate with anyone?

Now my big question for those of you out longer is what should I expect when I start eating solids? I have yet to feel full, though I don't feel hungry, and quite frankly given the amount of liquids I can easily drink it sort of surprises me I don't feel full. I know it's just my old obese brain f'ing with me but I keep feeling like am doing something wrong. My Dr said I can have a fluffy omelette tomorrow (Woohoo!) and flaky white fish Friday before I see him on Saturday again. I will also meet the exercise guru Saturday and she will hopefully clear me for some restricted gym time though with my current energy levels am not sure how much I will do. Maybe they will ask me to force myself to down more Protein which for now they have kept me at about 30 grams, and YES from reading everyone else's posts I do realize this is low but who am I to argue with this awesome Dr who I've had such great results with so far and has been doing this for 20+ years. At any rate, any advice/prep-talk I can get for solids and hopefully feeling full will be very welcomed.

I am only onto the pureed foods, but have snuck in a few more substantial foods. It is amazing how different they will make you feel. Like you, I am able to drink to my hearts content, but once I started eating, even pureed foods, I felt full very quick. I had my first fluffy omelet the other day, I made it with 2 eggs, and could not believe how difficult it was to finish.

I have a sister that had VGS just over 2 years ago, and she told me the same thing. To this day she struggles with meats, especially steak. She has to chew it up VERY well and really take her time with it. Even then she often finds that she has to vomit, something that doesn't happen with other foods. I hope that I do not have similar problems, but I expect to eventually find some food that causes the same reaction in me.

It sounds like you are doing great. It gets easier as you move away from the liquid diet. I have only been onto pureed and eggs for a few days, but what an improvement already. Keep up the good work and keep us updated on your progress.

Anyone else have 4 weeks of liquids? I just finished week 2 and am dreading 2 more weeks of this. And THEN 2 weeks of puree. A month+ till I can chew food again :(

Liquids dont really challenge the sleeve. They remain in the stomach for a couple of minutes, thats it. You will feel the restriction when you try to eat foods! It kind of feels like you swallowed rocks. Eat REALLY SMALL BITES A FEW MINUTES APART. Do that until you "learn" what your tummy can tolerate.

5' 5"
HW: 259
CW: 234
GOAL: Healthy and hard 140-ish?

Anyone else have 4 weeks of liquids? I just finished week 2 and am dreading 2 more weeks of this. And THEN 2 weeks of puree. A month+ till I can chew food again

I had my sleeve on Oct 16th and 4 weeks of liquid. Right now I am on puree phase for 3 weeks . Don’t give up

Updating on my foods: Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post op. Things I tolerate well are~~soft-boiled egg w/little butter, cream of wheat, refried Beans (just a few tablespoons of these things, and eaten very slooowly) Tonight, I had a triangle of soft swiss cheese, with 4 small pretzel sticks (chewed very thoroughly). Also, cup-of-soup, chicken noodle. and sugar free choc pudding.

Still doing a chocolate Protein Shake, morning and evening. I have an insulated thermos-type cup, so I can sip it all morning, then another in the evening, too. For some reason, Jello and applesauce go down HARD, not trying them again for a while.

Since 1 week pre-op, I am down 28 lbs (so that's in 4 weeks)

So, for today it was:

~~protein shake----7am-11am drinking slowly

~~cup-of-soup--noon

~~3 large-ish teaspoons of refried beans---around 5pm

~~half of a Protein shake----around 6pm-7pm

~~small triangle (about 1 oz) of soft swiss cheese with 4 small thin pretzel sticks--around 8pm

Is this typical for other 3-week-post-op people?

I am thinking of trying a small bit of tilapia tomorrow, very mashed up with a fork...and sloooowly.

Edited by ProfessorSlim

On 10/29/2017 at 6:38 PM, watsongirl17 said:

My surgery will be at Memorial Hermann also. How did everything go?

Awesome! I was out the next day. All of the nurses were wonderful. I am a little over a month out and feeling great. When is your surgery?

On 11/15/2017 at 7:26 PM, ProfessorSlim said:

Updating on my foods: Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post op. Things I tolerate well are~~soft-boiled egg w/little butter, cream of wheat, refried Beans (just a few tablespoons of these things, and eaten very slooowly) Tonight, I had a triangle of soft swiss cheese, with 4 small pretzel sticks (chewed very thoroughly). Also, cup-of-soup, chicken noodle. and sugar free choc pudding.

Still doing a chocolate Protein Shake, morning and evening. I have an insulated thermos-type cup, so I can sip it all morning, then another in the evening, too. For some reason, Jello and applesauce go down HARD, not trying them again for a while.

Since 1 week pre-op, I am down 28 lbs (so that's in 4 weeks)

So, for today it was:

~~protein shake----7am-11am drinking slowly

~~cup-of-soup--noon

~~3 large-ish teaspoons of refried beans---around 5pm

~~half of a Protein shake----around 6pm-7pm

~~small triangle (about 1 oz) of soft swiss cheese with 4 small thin pretzel sticks--around 8pm

Is this typical for other 3-week-post-op people?

I am thinking of trying a small bit of tilapia tomorrow, very mashed up with a fork...and sloooowly.

I was a month out of surgery yesterday. I am eating Protein oatmeal in the AM - can usually eat about 1/2. I do refried Beans with a little cheese and sour cream for lunch (about 1 1/2 ounces) can do a while Greek yogurt for a snack and then dinner is usually Soup of some sort. I drink the Premier Protein Water instead of the shakes. (Can't stomach them at all).

I can eat scrambled eggs, boiled egg and that little triangle cheese. Also have he success with tuna (with a little mayo and relish). I can't stand canned chicken and wasn't able to tolerate a little crab salad but managed to eat a soft crab cake (or about 1/4 of it).

I was talking to my NUT and she said she isn't a fan of the soft cheese at only a month out. Not sure I understand that one.

I was at Day 36 post-op yesterday so I went to the supermarket and searched ALL the HIGH-PROTEIN cheeses and found a couple I liked the look of.

A. Vintage tasty with chilli.

B. Vintage tasty with garlic and chives.

25 grams of each for afternoon tea Friday. Delightful!

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior
verb tense

Also, during the HIGH-PROTEIN cheese SHOPPING, I grabbed some vegan MINCE and some vegan CHICKEN-LIKE meat strips ... both HIGH-PROTEIN, LOW CARBOHYDRATE meat substitutes.

For Australian readers, the brand is the well-known QUORN ... but DO NOT LOOK IN THE FREEZER SECTION ... my local Coles supermarket staff has 'hidden' it near the egg-whites and high-protein chilled Soups.

As part of this new stomach, I am seriously winding back my animal products consumption ... I need less meat, I'm sure.