Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery cancelled less than 48 hrs away. So disappointed/ deflated

I've been on my all liquid 2 week pre-op diet ,, surgery is ( or was on Aug 30 ) less than 48 hours from now. All preparations have been done / blood test at hospital , purchased Vitamins ,, heck even made homemade chicken broth yesterday Well my doctors office called few hours ago and said due to Unforeseen personal life reasons the doctor needs to cancel the surgery She did Say they would call me in a few weeks as soon as they can reschedule I'm just in complete shock as was ready to go ,,, arranged everything. I'm mean. It is in 2 days from now ( or was )

This completely deflated me and I'm asking if anyone had similar experience with last-minute cancellation. It's interesting to note being on this all liquid diet for past two weeks I have no desire to go eat solid foods such as a hamburger or anything. So what does all this mean… That it will be rescheduled 1 or 2 months from now? Part of me just wants to try to lose the weight on my own now. But I know the vertical sleeve surgery is a tool to help me lose weight a lot easier and keep it off. I found this wonderful support group website and you guys feel like family. I guess I'm a little emotionally disappointed but I have to remind myself the insurance has been verified everything is been done as just a matter of the doctor rescheduling when he can I guess. We put so trust in the surgeon maybe this is a sign to find a new doctor perhaps.

Thank you for reading this post and any replies are appreciated as this set back really makes me confused

How very disappointing. Just hang in there and it will get rescheduled. You could ease back into food gradually, just do lo carb - Proteins and low starch veggies, you could even just do shakes for part of it - like Breakfast - add some blueberries and PB.

Good luck.

I am so sorry. No help but some things are not meant to be..yet and when you have your surgery you will do amazing and lose lots of weight. I'd stick to low carb until you have your date. My pre op was just a low carb plan. So your still ready when you get the call.

Sent from my Swift 2 using BariatricPal mobile app

I've been on my all liquid 2 week pre-op diet ,, surgery is ( or was on Aug 30 ) less than 48 hours from now. All preparations have been done / blood test at hospital , purchased Vitamins ,, heck even made homemade chicken broth yesterday Well my doctors office called few hours ago and said due to Unforeseen personal life reasons the doctor needs to cancel the surgery She did Say they would call me in a few weeks as soon as they can reschedule I'm just in complete shock as was ready to go ,,, arranged everything. I'm mean. It is in 2 days from now ( or was )
This completely deflated me and I'm asking if anyone had similar experience with last-minute cancellation. It's interesting to note being on this all liquid diet for past two weeks I have no desire to go eat solid foods such as a hamburger or anything. So what does all this mean… That it will be rescheduled 1 or 2 months from now? Part of me just wants to try to lose the weight on my own now. But I know the vertical sleeve surgery is a tool to help me lose weight a lot easier and keep it off. I found this wonderful support group website and you guys feel like family. I guess I'm a little emotionally disappointed but I have to remind myself the insurance has been verified everything is been done as just a matter of the doctor rescheduling when he can I guess. We put so trust in the surgeon maybe this is a sign to find a new doctor perhaps.
Thank you for reading this post and any replies are appreciated as this set back really makes me confused

I'm so sorry! My heart just sank for you as I read this. My dates have been pushed back twice but I didn't get nearly as far as you have. How very disheartening. Please keep your head up. Stay positive! Although it doesn't help the keep an open Mind that Dr's have very real lives like you and I. Emergencies do arise and sometimes at very unfortunate Times such as this.

Sent from my SM-S765C using BariatricPal mobile app

Wow, I'm so sorry for you. I can kind of relate. I got a blood clot and surgery had to be pushed back for three months but it wasn't like I had a date and had done the preop diet. I'd be crushed. I have no advice just feel so bad for you.

Thank you. I was just in shock as I was ready to go I overcome mental anxiety from past few days I did learn a lot and benefited from the all Protein and liquid diet of past 2 weeks. I'm going to continue low carbs low sugar , high protein and try to stay around 1200/1500 net calories a day. I say net ,, cause if I eat more , then I must exercise the calories off.

It was ( is ) very disappointing but with the support of you guys I have faith to keep my head up and just consider this a delay only I really feel without this support group ,, reading everyone else posts. Etc etc. I would easily leaned towards just canceling it all together. Let's see what the future brings. I have to be honesty ,, this set back is trigging doubt. As in maybe I should try to lose on my own ( but geez … I couldn't do it in the past 10 years so why now?)

Thank you. I was just in shock as I was ready to go I overcome mental anxiety from past few days I did learn a lot and benefited from the all Protein and liquid diet of past 2 weeks. I'm going to continue low carbs low sugar , high protein and try to stay around 1200/1500 net calories a day. I say net ,, cause if I eat more , then I must exercise the calories off.

It was ( is ) very disappointing but with the support of you guys I have faith to keep my head up and just consider this a delay only I really feel without this support group ,, reading everyone else posts. Etc etc. I would easily leaned towards just canceling it all together. Let's see what the future brings. I have to be honesty ,, this set back is trigging doubt. As in maybe I should try to lose on my own ( but geez … I couldn't do it in the past 10 years so why now?)

I had those same thoughts even without them canceling on me. I think a lot of us do. Especially with some success on the preop diet. It's not even just losing the weight, it's keeping it off. I hope they reschedule soon but you definitely sound like you're developing a good attitude. Stay positive, it'll happen. :)

Office said due to personal issues with surgeon and can't reveal. First thing I asked was could another doctor do it. I'm ready to go. Answer was no. She said she should have new date in a few weeks Leaves me hanging as just completed the pre-op diet. Etc. I barely ate today and feel
So bloated now. I had watermelon which I guess too much sugar Just disappointed as the mental preparation was there too

In these times of shock and disappointment, always try to keep the big picture in mind. Your ultimate goal is to get down to a healthy weight, right? ;) So whether you drop 5 pounds before surgery, or 50, it's all to the good for your final goal (but 50lbs is closer).

If you let up now, and stop losing, then your goal is further away. If you keep on pushing to lose as much weight before surgery, then your goal will come quicker postop. AND, the surgery will be easier for the surgeon, and your recovery quicker and easier for you. So let this bump in the road motivate you to just keep on pushing forward, and when you DO get your surgery, you won't look back and say.. "what was I thinking?! I lost focus, and now I could have been that much closer to goal, and I threw it away!"

Keep your calories below 1500, whether you exercise or not. Don't worry about "messing up" your metabolism because when you do get the surgery, it will reset everything. We all have to be "on a diet" of one sort or another, *forever!* when we embark upon this journey. And you are ON your journey. This trip starts the day you decide you are going to get surgery. Surgery is just a stop along the way.. not the beginning. So your "surgery stop" turns out to be further away than you planned, but you'll get there!

Office said due to personal issues with surgeon and can't reveal. First thing I asked was could another doctor do it. I'm ready to go. Answer was no. She said she should have new date in a few weeks Leaves me hanging as just completed the pre-op diet. Etc. I barely ate today and feel
So bloated now. I had watermelon which I guess too much sugar Just disappointed as the mental preparation was there too

Wow, that's totally unfair... I hope you remain positive and everything works out for you

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

Sounds to me like maybe there was a death in the family (close relative). Just use the time to get used to the lifestyle. Sorry it happened though. Thinking of you and sending good prayers your way!