Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day after surgery day I'm hungry, is this normal?

I last ate or drank Sunday at 8ish and had surgery around 8 last night. I'm literally in no pain and no nausea. I passed the leak test and now have all of these Clear Liquids in front of me. I've been sipping off and on for two hours and no pain or fullness. My stomach wants to eat itself. I already feel like I may be a failure. Ugh

I had a VSG

Edited by Kennalb

You may have acid in your stomach which can feel like hunger. Are you on an acid blocker?

I don't think I felt true hunger until around 3 weeks post op.

I'm not that I know of, I will ask my nurse next time she comes in, I'm hoping that is all it is or I'm going to feel like a big failure less than 24 hours after my surgery. :(

That makes it hard but....you might be having MIND HUNGER!!! I am 4 years out (and one of the lucky ones) I can honestly say I have not had any physical hunger since my RNY. I deal with what is called MIND hunger all the time. I can literally not eat. Sometimes I go so long that I get dizzy and light headed!! I wouldn't trade this for anything!!!! Plus you might be confusing hunger with thirst. You need to keep going on your fluids. Good Luck and keep us posted about your journey!!

Did you have to do a liquid diet the week before? The reason that I ask is because if you did not have to do a liquid or pre-op diet (low carb) designed to shrink the liver, you may feel hunger because you are not in ketosis. Normally, when you enter ketosis, you kind of lose a lot of your appetite. I was on a liquid diet for basically 4 weeks (2 weeks pre-op, and 2 weeks post-op), and I was never hungry at all. Either way, everyone is different. Don't feel like a failure just because you are experiencing hunger. Just follow your doctor's instructions, and please don't eat anything that can jeopardize your sleeve or health. You will be fine.

DropWt4life,

I had to do my Protein drinks for 2 weeks Preop and 4 weeks post op. I never had any hunger thru that either. Life is good!

I did the 10 day liquid diet and was not hungry. I will see how it goes. Kel, that makes me feel better, I'm going to kick this fat in the butt.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by Kennalb

@Kennalb

I was hungry from day one for literally 4 weeks post op. I was in tears wondering why the hell I was hungry. Like you, I worried that my surgery didn't work right. Then I began reading here and discovered many of us go through an adjustment period of hunger. Right at about 4 weeks post op the combination of healing along with the addition of some soft allowed foods changed everything. No longer hungry after that. I was not hungry hardly at all from months 4-10. (I do get off and on hunger now 10 months post op but its healthy hunger). I agree with others who have already responded- it could very well be emotional (habit) hunger- I had that big time, and it fades, trust me. Also possibly acids, which can mimic hunger.

Hang in there and know it is temporary.

I did the liquid pre-op (except for the Wedding Reception 4 days before) and could not think about eating for days after Surgery. I was not hungry at all, but I did miss chewing something in the worst way. The advice concerning Acid levels and Ketosis are also VERY well stated - and checking these is a request that it seems you should consider.

Remember that your journey is Just Starting. Your head can wander in all sorts of directions, so keep your eyes on the prize! It's not the changes in the next week, but the next year that truly matter. NEVER GIVE UP ON YOURSELF!!! You had the courage to go through with the surgery, so you DO have the courage to go through the recovery!