Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"The average excess weight lost following laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery is about 65% (in other words, at 100 pounds overweight the average patient loses almost 70 pounds). Many patients have seen results of well over 80%. “Mostpatients keep at least 50% of their excess weight off after 10 years.”

That isn't the same as a 50% regain. It says MOST keep AT LEAST 50%. Quite different.

One of my degrees is statistics. Too many wiggle words in that statement. It could mean anything from 50% of people gain 50% of their weight back and 1 person gains 49% and the rest gain 100%.... to 99% of people keep 99% of their excess weight off. Most is anything over 50% and "at least" is 50% plus 1lb or 99%.

Plenty of wiggle words, but essentially for every 100lbs overweight, we can expect to lose 65 on average, and most of us will keep 50 off long term. (Therefore we can assume that a 15 pound regain --per hundred pounds-- will befall most of us).

And, from what we see here on the board, it seems pretty accurate. Those that lose 100% of their excess are the exception, not the rule.

I've already programmed in a 30 pound regain once I get to whatever my goal will be. So I know I have to go 30 pounds past whatever I'd like my eventual resting weight to be, to have a serious chance of being successful.

The key is not allowing the regain to go past that. Hopefully I'm building enough good habits during this "honeymoon" period, to help me to hold steady.

Even if I fail and gain some of the weight back past the 30 I will allow myself, I am still certain this surgery has extended my life.

I seriously do not think that the surgery extends our lives.

33 minutes ago, reallyrosy said:

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family on the maternal side. My hope is that I will never get type 2 diabetes, which should extend the length and quality of my life.

What about heart disease, blood pressure... You don't think that people who get these surgeries are going to possibly have longer, healthier lives?

1 hour ago, reallyrosy said:

images.png

41 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Obesity+Increases+Mortality+Risk.jpg

Berry...that is true but 2 docs told me that I shouldn't think the surgery will necessarily increase my life. It may make it more pleasant, more livable, less prone to disease but not necessarily add time to it.

1 hour ago, Ldyvenus said:

Type 2 diabetes runs in my family on the maternal side. My hope is that I will never get type 2 diabetes, which should extend the length and quality of my life.

What about heart disease, blood pressure... You don't think that people who get these surgeries are going to possibly have longer, healthier lives?

Definitely healthier...POSSIBLY longer but that should not be a reason to have it done.

If we get rid of our obesity, and the diseases that go with it, then it follows that we'll likely live longer. I'll look to see if there was a study..

Overall, surgery does increase our life expectancies. Your individual mileage may vary.

https://asmbs.org/resources/long-term-survival-benefit-after-metabolic-and-bariatric-surgery

reduction.jpg

Darn. I tried to reply and it bit the bullet. I think that a given must be lifetime maintenance of the loss. That seems NOT to be the norm. I'm not saying it (surgery) Cannot possibly extend one's years....just that other parameters need also be met. Thanks for the research.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

Plenty of wiggle words, but essentially for every 100lbs overweight, we can expect to lose 65 on average, and most of us will keep 50 off long term. (Therefore we can assume that a 15 pound regain --per hundred pounds-- will befall most of us).
And, from what we see here on the board, it seems pretty accurate. Those that lose 100% of their excess are the exception, not the rule.

That's much more helpful than ether the "50% regain" or the other weird and unclear statement above and yeah I clicked on the links and followed to the study and that's just what it says yes.

And yup but I think a big part of that is the set point thing. I lost to what I now call an artificial low... I was 17% body fat and my size 4's were loose. Like many (most?) I experienced what I term a "rebound" rather than a regain to my new set point. Lost 142 and keeping off 130-135 of it easily. It takes a LOT to go above or below that.

The science on all of this is still so new. It will be interesting to see what we learn over time.