Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve completed 7/6 & they are ready to send me back to work 7/18

Is this the normal return back to work time-frame for this surgery. I at least want to introduce my stomach to soft foods and be out of pain.

IF you are not ready to return to work, don't go back. There was no way I could have gone to work 2 weeks after. I could hardly shower and blow dry without resting at that point. Have your doctor write a note extending your leave. Insist on it. Everyone is different but I needed 5 weeks before I felt semi- normal and I was off 6 weeks.

It just depends on how well you can drink after surgery. I went back to work 6 days post op and could have gone sooner. I was so glad to fix my mind on something other than not eating! But I didn't have any problems getting in Water and Protein so I did not have low energy. I'm 3 weeks post op now.

Thanks guys but its no way I am going back. I want to give my body time to heal. I am a processor and we are at a high demand right now. Job is stressful due to the high pipeline on one person. My stomach use to hurt just from the stress. I sat at my desk without hardly taking a lunch break. I would be eat at my desk. When you go to the bathroom you could tell alot of people would be holding it because of the length of time they were releasing..lol. On top of people sitting on top of you.. so close...uggg. My incisions need to be completely heal for physical and mental comfort. All that coughing, hacking, and sneezing from surrounding areas. lol. I am just venting because I just found out what my return is suppose to be from Metlife call today. I see my surgeon Monday and I will let him know. NO WAY.

All in all I am doing well. I am fighting to get in over 400 calories. I drink the Oh Yeah shakes 32 grams Protein and 3grams sugar 200 calories each. I am getting about 48ozs of Water and i eat about 3oz of homemade chicken broth. I bought some premier tropical punch drinks with 20grams of protein and no sugar today. We will see what that taste like but all in all I am well with a little belly pain.

If you have the time, take it. Life is too short to work all the time! You never know how fast you will recover, however! I was sleeved 7/10 and went for a 3 mile hike today. Returning to work on Monday. I never expected to be feeling well so quickly.

Yes I have the time. That is great 3 miles . Go you! Excellent! I walk but it's about 45 mins a day. I was up day of surgery. I've had 2 cesareans so I know how important it is to get to moving,

Edited by lilbigprsn

Yes I have the time. That is great 3 miles . Go you! Excellent! I walk but it's about 45 mins a day. I was up day of surgery. I've had 2 cesareans so I know how important it is to get to moving,

That's great! Believe me, if I could be away from the office longer I would. I'm not looking forward to public transportation on Monday. I've had 3 caesareans. Did you think the sleeve was worse than the c-sections? I think that the discomfort and pain within the first two days was similar, but I have healed much faster and have gotten closer to "normal" a lot faster after the sleeve.

I agree with the beginning similarities. My 1st C-section was not bad at all. The 2nd was horrible and worse than the sleeve. Maybe because I got a tubal as well. The thought of cutting the stomach and removing it seems like it would be worse though.

Good luck on your return to work. I am still jumpy when anyone comes near my stomach and public transportation I would completely freak out.

Maybe consider looking up Employment Standards in your area. Where I live, if I feel as though I am medically incapable of working because my job would impede my healing, then there's nothing legally that my job can do about it. They can't write me up or fire me. A doctor should have no issues writing you a note? Then again, maybe by the 18th you'll be ready to make it to work, at least you would have a short week :) . Yeah work isn't always the greatest to look forward too, its kind of like how everyone feels like they want a vacation as soon as they get back from vacation.

Read up on your rights, talk to your doctor, give your work notice as soon as you can out of respect would be my advice:)

I agree with the beginning similarities. My 1st C-section was not bad at all. The 2nd was horrible and worse than the sleeve. Maybe because I got a tubal as well. The thought of cutting the stomach and removing it seems like it would be worse though.
Good luck on your return to work. I am still jumpy when anyone comes near my stomach and public transportation I would completely freak out.

I had a tubal during my last c-section and I agree that it was the most painful. Way worse than the sleeve, when I really think about it. I remember being in tears to the nurse the night after the c/tubal, and that's saying a lot. I usually try to hold it together in front of strangers!

Hey we got the same surgery date.

Yeah. I don't think it will be a problem. I was in shock because I didn't know a return date was set. I see the doctor Monday for the 1st time since surgery. I found out my STD was approved until Tuesday today but once I speak to the doc i am sure he can extend it. The expectation on returning so soon seemed quick to me.

Me too and when my morphine drip was ending I lost it. Worse pain I've ever felt.

Is this the normal return back to work time-frame for this surgery. I at least want to introduce my stomach to soft foods and be out of pain.

I went back exactly a week later and I was fine. Just take it easy.

I think many people are ready to go back to work at 2 weeks so that is probably why the date was set. You have to listen to your body and do what is best for you. Not everyone heals as quickly as others and some people deal with fatigue for quite a while after surgery.

I was blessed because I felt really good and had very little pain post-op. I was more than ready at 2 weeks to return to work.

If you have the time take and need it then for sure stay home until you feel the time is right.

Yes I've heard of people going back to work as soon as week 2. But I feel blessed to be a teacher, with two months off for summer. I had my surgery the first possible day I could, and I'm glad I made that decision. Even now a little over a month out, I could definitely go back to work if I had to, but I'm still figuring out things like diet and energy level.

I'm blessed to have another three weeks to get it all down.

This is a major surgery no matter what anyone says, and IMO if it's at all possible we should take our time and baby ourselves a little bit.