Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not sure if I'll have a pain pump but they do seem to be very proactive about pain. They've given me RXs for Gabapentin (I'm guessing for nerve pain? Maybe it'll help the gas pain!?) And for Celebrex (def for inflammation) to take before the surgery. I'm hopefully over mentally prepared so it's not as bad as I'm expecting! Totally ready to walk!

I feel you on the heart hunger. I've been doing a lot of soul searching these past few days. I've got to find something I love to fill my binge holes (minus my mouth lol) and I'm already about entirely divorced from Protein Shakes so it's gonna be Water and a new hobby. Think I'm gonna try to put more effort into learning to draw.

That sounds amazing! You are already on your way to finding other things and drawing sounds perfect!

Sounds like your facility is on top of it too! They are really good managing the pain you will be great! See... Nothing to worry about! I can't wait to hear how you rock this when you are out!!

Sent from my VS995 using BariatricPal mobile app

How are you feeling after the surgery?

Hi August friends. I'm having my op on Friday (11th) and I'm full of nerves and serious second thoughts! Will I ever be able to eat 'normally' again? Will I ever be able to enjoy a curry (my fav)? How awful will my saggy skin be?

Is anyone else having second thoughts through blind panic? Can any old timers help to ease my mind? HELP!!!!!

14 hours ago, harmonylynn said:

Same here....what time is your surgery?

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

9am have to be at the hospital at 7am. how about you what time is yours?

3 hours ago, Cas54 said:

Hi August friends. I'm having my op on Friday (11th) and I'm full of nerves and serious second thoughts! Will I ever be able to eat 'normally' again? Will I ever be able to enjoy a curry (my fav)? How awful will my saggy skin be?

Is anyone else having second thoughts through blind panic? Can any old timers help to ease my mind? HELP!!!!!

I'm not exactly an old-timer--my surgery isn't until the 28th--but one thing I've noticed in spending a LOT of time reading posts on this site: 99 percent of the people who have had the surgery say it's the best thing they've ever done for themselves and they wish they'd done it sooner. So, while I'm going to miss those English muffins, I'm pretty sure I'm going to be a lot healthier and happier in the long run. And what's some carbs compared to that?

You've got this. Hang on in there!

My surgery just got moved up one day (now on 8/10) - Yikes!

Overall, it is a good thing - it means I will be one day ahead for recovery! Also, one less day of the pre-op diet.

I am grateful for the this forum. I have lost 9 lbs in 7 days on the pre-op diet - and at moments I think to myself - why am I having surgery, shouldn't I just do this on my own? Then I read posts that remind me why I am having surgery... It is not because I have not lost weight before, it is because I have always gained it back. The surgery will help create a new set-point.

Also, I have not been on a diet this restrictive before. So, while I have dropped a bunch of weight - this is to make surgery as safe as possible - the pre-op diet is not a long term solution.

The pre-op diet has also forced me to more closely examine some of my food habits... While I was mentally prepared for the lifestyle changes ahead, I think the pre-op diet has forced me to examine a few things and recognize that I have some additional habits, psychological, and magic thinking barriers to overcome.

I loved going to new restaurants and trying new foods (and adult beverages). I liked cooking, and I can make some super delicious food, and (for now) those things are not a part of my life. When I am able to have some of those things come back into my life, they will never be the same again. It is sad for me. However, I made this decision because I want to be healthy. I want to enjoy life for as long as possible. Better to be able to travel and try just a few bites of a new food (instead of the whole serving), than to die of an obesity related co-morbidity. Better to be able sustain an active lifestyle and not have any restrictions because of my weight.

Here's to whats to come... toasting with a Protein Drink (for now).

Thank you for sharing your journeys with me!

I wish all of you success!

Starting my two week (self-imposed) pre-op diet today, scheduled for 8/21/17 ~ pending insurance approval... fingers crossed!

Hi all! I'm scheduled for August 14... everything's seems a bit surreal for me... I was so worked up about getting insurance approval and making sure I have it a few weeks before the school year starts..that I find myself wondering if I can pull through and get through this preop diet first and foremost. I think I'm in panic mode and not thinking how I should. Today was first day of preop and I failed miserably...I ate a few bites of chicken and half a peach....I'm feeling really scared and second guessing everything now. I hope tommorow is a better day:(

Sent from my SM-N910C using BariatricPal mobile app

2nd day of preop diet and I am not hungry at all. I had 2 shakes so far at 5pm. I'm not craving food too bad.. I'm ready for Aug 9 to come already! Oh and I can't tolerate the whey Protein so I'm on a less tasty shake called Paleo Shakes. That's why I have not had my 4 yet....any suggestions?

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches