Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. in Lehigh Valley

Hi for those of you not wanting to wait the 6 months it's the insurance companies that require it. I'm going to a seminar by Dr, Borse July 10, 2008. Spoke to my insurance they are sending me paperwork but I have to be on a 6 month supervised diet and go thru the counseling etc.. before you can be banded. A lot of it makes sense because if you are not going to follow the program what good is it? I'm looking at the band as an assistance not a cure. You can have the band and not lose weight. The band is a physical reminder I still have to do the work. My husband's friend had gastric bypass - he was over 200 lbs overweight. He said the beginning was hard but he is so happy he had the surgery. Now he has to wait a year for the cosmetic surgery to remove all the excess skin. Even with the surgery HE had change his outlook on food and exercise the surgery helped. If you are looking at this surgery as a quick fix don't botter. It's a help but it all comes down to you. I'm at a point where I will do what they say. I'm tired of hurting and not being able to walk. I want to be the person I was before the weight took over.

Hi for those of you not wanting to wait the 6 months it's the insurance companies that require it. I'm going to a seminar by Dr, Borse July 10, 2008. Spoke to my insurance they are sending me paperwork but I have to be on a 6 month supervised diet and go thru the counseling etc.. before you can be banded. A lot of it makes sense because if you are not going to follow the program what good is it? quote]

While I agree with most of what you said I just wanted to clarify that not all insurance companies require a 6 month supervised diet,.Keystone Health Plan through BCBS doesn't require a 6 month diet plan. All insurance companies are different. The 6 month supervised diet at LVH is a stipulation of their program regardless of what your insurance says. They have developed their program with their patients best outcome in mind, however for me I went elsewhere and am doing great. I knew before I ever made an appointment with a doctor what was needed to be succesful with the band and had made the decision that it was right for me. Luckily my surgeon agreed and I had the band in three months and am 3 months ahead of the game then if I had I chosen to go to LVH.

Congratulations on your decision and best wishes on your journey!!!

i had my first appointment with dr. harrison at lehigh today. he's the "new" guy doing banding. he's not really new cause he's been laporoscopic stuff for a long time and has been working with dr. borse doing bands for a long time also. he seems like a really great guy and is all about team work. he was like "as you're doctor i'm your partner in this and we're gonna do it." i finished my 6 month program too and really don't have many complaints. i just wish there were more lap banders in my particular group but i guess that's cause everyone has different schedules. the bariatrician was a little eh but the dietician they have there is great. now i'm just working on my insurance crap. the woman at dr. harrison's office that's in charge of all that was really helpful when i told her how nervous i was about being approved. now all i have to do is wait on the insurance stuff. i've got a date, 8/12, so now i'm just waiting it out.

Dr GuillermoGarcia in allentown just did mine. Very nice doc.Office is off of cedarcrest and surgery is done at ST. Lukes of allentown. The office # is 610-366-7700:lol::thumbs_up:

TO Norm in PA,

Have you gotten banded yet? If so how is it working out?

I was just banded in Lehigh Valley hospital on June 10, 2008. Experience was great! You need to do a mandatory 6 month program before a surgery date will be given and the program is the only out of pocket expense I paid. The program is $500.00 and was very educational and beneficial in preparing me for the surgery,I had my 1 week post op visit and lost 16 lbs. I am having some problems with left shoulder pain due to the gas.

I'm so glad to hear you're doing well!! I am in the middle of the 6-month weight loss program (going into month 4) - looks like my banding will take place in September. I do agree that the program has been very educational and while I initially thought the 6 months was way too long - I know see how the program will help me be successful. Did you lose weight prior to surgery? I'm having hard time re-adjusting my diet to include more Protein and less fat - it worries me that I can't get with it! I have two children at home - how long after surgery were you up and about? Did you spend one night in the hospital? I'm going to have Dr. Boorse do my surgery - is that who you had? Continued success to you and look forward to talking to you!

Dr GuillermoGarcia in allentown just did mine. Very nice doc.Office is off of cedarcrest and surgery is done at ST. Lukes of allentown. The office # is 610-366-7700:lol::w00t:

Hi. I'm having my banding done my Dr Garcia on the 28th. Can I ask how everything went post op and even during your hospital stay with him? He's doing mine at St. Lukes Allentown. I'm very curious.

Everything for me was just fine. Had mine done at allentown also.Woke up in recovery and had discomfort and very dry mouth. They came every few hours for temp and ask if i had pain. I did but i had herrnia surgery at same time. Slept a lot because of pain killers. They give you some solution to wet your mouth but i dont think it helps. Wet a papertowel and use that instead or go to bathroom and swish Water around and spit out. Stayed overnite and saw doc in am everything ok just had too wait for the barium x-ray. Taste terrible. As long as x-ray is good you'll be able to leave in a hr or so.

After going home not hungry for a day or so, all you can have is liquid maybe a 1/4 cup or less. Lost ten pds first week alone. So far to date 43pds since surgery. had three fills and go for another on Wed the 22.

Hi Girls,

I live in Jim Thorpe but work in the Poconos. I was banded on 12/16/08 at St. Lukes in Allentown by Dr. Garcia. He is great, young, caring, soft spoken. He is very flexible too his office is located off of the Cedar Crest Blvd.

Here is his information:

Dr. Guilleremo Garcia: 610-366-7700

Hope that this helps.

Angie

Hi, I live in Bethlhem and was banded by Dr. Gillarmo Garcia at St. Lukes in Allentown on Oct. 7th, 2008. I have no complaints what-so-ever and think Dr. Garcia and his staff are AWESOME!

Started at 320 lbs

1-15-09 - 264 lbs.

Hi,

I would love to hear more about your experience with Dr. GArcia so far. I just had my first fill and I have no complaints but I wish that I would start losing more weight. I lost a lot with the preop and right after surgery but then slowed. Where are you at? How many fills have you had? Are you at your sweet spot? I go back 3/4 for my second fill. I am really hoping that I lose weight between now and then. I just had my first fill on 2/4 and at first did not think that it did anything for me but now I am realizing that it did help restrict me a little.

Thanks! I would love to talk with you!:thumbdown:

Dr Garcia is great. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor. I just had my 3rd fill with him and I think I'm at my "sweet spot". He said I probably wont need a fill next month. Down 40lbs so far. 10 of that was from the god awful preop diet but he said I'm doing well so far. I'm glad to see some more people here that are going to him! He's great. I've been recommending him to everyone!