Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like I am going to puke.

Long story short: I went to a surgeon to have a large hernia repaired and he suggested LapBand to improve the success of the surgery. This is something I have thought about a lot in the past but never thought was realistic.

Tonight my husband and I are going to an information session at a local hospital. And I am terrified. I have had three surgeries in the past. The first was to remove an ovary and cyst, the second and third were csections. I have two children to live for, to set an example for and I am terrified of leaving them.

I must say I've spent much of the morning and early afternoon reading the many posts and looking at all the beautiful pictures and am finding a lot of inspiration. Thank you.

Emily~I just wanted to wish you well on your new journey. I LOVE my band, I am kind of new to it though. I was banded May 18, 2007. I don't regret it at all. This is a great place to come for support and advice.

I feel like I am going to puke.

Long story short: I went to a surgeon to have a large hernia repaired and he suggested LapBand to improve the success of the surgery. This is something I have thought about a lot in the past but never thought was realistic.

Tonight my husband and I are going to an information session at a local hospital. And I am terrified. I have had three surgeries in the past. The first was to remove an ovary and cyst, the second and third were csections. I have two children to live for, to set an example for and I am terrified of leaving them.

I must say I've spent much of the morning and early afternoon reading the many posts and looking at all the beautiful pictures and am finding a lot of inspiration. Thank you.

Emily - I am twice your age and i have only had one surgery (gallbladder 20 yrs ago when they use to cut you open) - Surgery hurts no doubt about that but it wasn't that bad - I was back to work on day 6 (desk job) the first few days are hard but as each day goes by you feel better and better...

Read & ask questions....

Good Luck on your journey...

Part of my fear is due to past surgeries. I've had an ovary removed and 2 csections. All 3 of the incisions were made from my belly button to my groin. The 2nd csection was terribly traumatic and was only 16 months ago. The epidural wasn't strong enough and I felt them cutting me open. I was screaming in pain and didn't get any relief until I hyperventilated and passed out. I know that his is done laproscopicaly and should not be anywhere near as painful as what I went through. The unfortunate thing is that a year after I have this done I will have to be cut open again for the hernia repair. It just seems like way too much to think about right now!

I do appreciate all of the support and information on this site. It's a great help. Oh and to set the record straight, my name is not Emily :confused:. I am Amanda! My children are Emily and Lucas :).

Have a great day everyone! I'm taking Em to dance class in a few minutes so it should be a fun morning. :whoo:

Hi Emily and Welcome! From what I understand, the hernia can be repaired at the same time as the installation of the lap band in most cases (of course depending on the size, circumstances of the hernia). Could you ask your doc if he could do both at the same time? Just a suggestion.

Good luck to you! This site is invaluable for info!

Maria

Hi Emily and Welcome! From what I understand, the hernia can be repaired at the same time as the installation of the lap band in most cases (of course depending on the size, circumstances of the hernia). Could you ask your doc if he could do both at the same time? Just a suggestion.

Good luck to you! This site is invaluable for info!

Maria

Thank you. I will have to talk to the surgeon about it. The hernia surgeon didn't seem to think that was a good option but who knows what can happen when you put their 2 heads together.

I had my surgery on Tuesday (October 9) of this week and I am already up and around. It was amazing. I'm a bit sore when I get up and down from a sitting/laying position but other than that, I've had very little pain. The biggest discomfort has been a bit of gassiness/full of air feeling. I wish you well!

Congratulations! I've heard that the gassiness is the worst part. With my second csection I was really gassy for a few days and it was extremely painful. Good Luck!

HI! I am new to this site, I just had my surgery on 10/31/07. I had the lap band and a heitial hernia done at the same time. When they went in the hernia was a lot worse then they expected (my stomach lining was making its way through the hernia and had to be pulled out) so my 45min to 1 hour surgery lasted 2 hours, but everything is fine now. I don't know what kind of hernia you have but most surgeons will do them both at the same time. So far things are really good and I just have a little soreness in the hernia site (belly button area) All my other sites are healing nicely. It took me a long time to decide if this was what I wanted to do and now that the surgery is over, I am really glad I made this decision. I started my pre-surgery diet on Oct 15th and so far I have lost 18lbs total, that use to take me 2-3 months on weight watchers and when I stopped the weight would just pile back on. good luck on your decision.

Eileen

I'm glad things are going well for you. I have to do 6 months of documented diet and exercise in order to have insurance cover the surgery so I am working my butt off. I've decided not to make a decision about lap band for a few months since I have to go through months of steps anyway. As far as the hernia goes it is incisional, in the pelvic area and at least 8cm. I have yet to speak to the bariatric surgeon about it as I've been so busy with other dr. appointments and going to the gym. We will see where all of this takes me . . .

Well the lapband surgery is sooo easy. I had little to no pain. Was working in 4 days and riding my motorcycle on day 7. I have 5 scars. 4 tiny ones and the port scar is about 1 1/2 in. They are all so faded that the only one you notice is the port scar. It's been over a year and I've lost 85 pounds of my 140. I love my band. I did it so I would be around for my kids. You will do great.