Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have always enjoyed Water, its my drink when I wake up and before I go to sleep, but now I am 6 days out of my surgery and I am devastated ( i know it might seem exaggerated but it's the only word i can think of to describe how i feel ) I can't drink as much water as I did pre surgery. I know a lot of people say this regret is fleeting and when the weight falls off i'll feel better but, will I ever be able to drink ( by drink i mean gulp down) copious amounts of water ever again? I don't feel hungry nor thirsty but the thought that this is how i'll be forever is causing me anguish.

I was the same way with Water pre-op. I am 3 mos out and just starting to get back to my old water ways, but still not as much. It just didn't taste good after surgery so I'd put a lemon slice in to change the ph and that helped. Still can't gulp but I can do a 16 oz bottle of plain water pretty quick when I'm thirsty. It may not be the same but will get better!!

Everyone is right. I grew up in the desert, and I don't find sweet things refreshing, so I definitely had my struggles. I'm three months out, and finally Water is my friend again. I can't take big gulps still, but I can drink a bottle of water within a short ish span of time.

Granted, that's a 16oz bottle, and before, I could toss down 32oz easily in a go.

I'm getting better at not letting thirst get ahead of what I can consume. That helps.

Alex that was me in February. I am exactly 5 months out and can drink as much as I want. It will get better. Everything gets better with time with this surgery. And yes the hunger will come back too, enjoy this period!!!

I am 3 months post op. I cannot take huge gulps of Water. However, I can drink a lot of water straight.

Patience I'm 18 months post op love Water but have to pace that guzzle.

That freaked me out too. You just have to wait.

I am 5.5 months out and I have been able to gulp Water on an empty stomach for a while. I can drink 4 oz without stopping and can drink another 4 oz a few minutes later. For me, this satisfies my need to guzzle water.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Update time!!! It's hot today here in Los Angeles, and without even thinking about it, I straight up guzzled half a bottle of Water.

This is a first for me since surgery, and the closest to an ill effect is very very slight nausea (which I'm prone to anyway, so that's probably just me).

Im only 3 months out, so hang in there, OP. You'll get there. While I was still struggling with the water nausea and inability to drink much, I found that herbal teas and infused waters were easier to drink than plain water.

Just keep checking in with yourself and watch out for dehydration. It'll happen.

I'm weeks post-op. I can now take normal sized drinks...normally 3 -4 oz at a time. Then I have to wait a few minutes (>10) and can drink again.

4 hours ago, cvrgurl said:

I'm 2 weeks and Water is a struggle it actually makes me nauseous and I used to love Water but I know it will get better

yep, 9 months out and I drink 80-100 oz per day! Keep fighting the good fight.

Thank you for all the words of encouragement everyone!! I've sort of felt like I was alone in this battle, till i found this page and realised we are in this together. I am now a month and 4 days out of my surgery and have lost over almost 29 pounds, I haven't been below 250lbs in 10 years.:778_heartbeat: I am getting better at drinking Water too, but I find i'm craving for sweet drinks? I add cordial or go for fruit shakes?

Edited by alex_medici

I love Water too, specifically very cold water. I could gulp my water again on my 1st month post-op, with an empty stomach.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.