Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gaining weight Back

I had my surgery almost one year ago and originally I lost 65 pounds. I have gained 12 lbs back in the last two months. I have had numerous fills and the restriction usually only seems to work for a few days each time. I eat realtively big meals now and I'm constantly munching on Snacks that are about 100 calories each.

After going thru a successful surgery with good weight loss, I now feel I'm losing it. My surgeon says my band is filled tightly enough.

Weight gain happens to lap band patients but I don't see a lot of discussion here. Does anybody have any comments, suggestions, or thoughts?

You answered your own question. STOP THE JUNK food. Use a little self control. Remember the band is a tool and can not do all the work for you. Have you totaled how many calories you are intaking a day ? Are you exercising at all ? You can do it again ! Just stop the madness lol.:biggrin1:

Same thing for me. I was banded 10/31/06 and have lost 44 pounds almost effortlessly. I now exercise, cut out the junk food with an occasional snack, drink 5-8 glassses of Water each day. I don't know what to do anymore. I'm filled to (I think 3.5cc)

Any more input would be greatly appreciated.

I was banded 4/17/07. lost 35# in 3 months; from being so sick & in so much pain everytime I ate. I have not lost anything in the past 3 months. I exercise, drink lots of Water, eat diet food(no fat or sugar). I don't know what to do either. I have gone throught so much pain & expense for 35#????

I am getting a fill on Friday, but I'm scared to death.

I can't take much more pain. I really think I have band slippage.

In the end..it's still about calories in..and calories going out..we cannot get around this.

Also remember that your surgery is deemed a success if you have lost 40% of your total weight needed to loose. For me thats basically what it did for me. So if you want to go further your going to have to burn more calories then you take in. It's all in how bad u want it really. I too plataued for a year..gained about 10 pounds back and it finally dawned on me. I gotta do my part. It's really up to you now. If you want to keep eating around the band by grazing then thats whats going to happen..your gonna keep gaining weight back. Sorry its no magic pill.

Are you following the 2-4oz a meal rule? Are you eating slowly chewing every bite to mush? If you aren't doing these 2 things you will have pain, I know I do. I've had 3 fills and they are painless- the first 2 weeks for me after a fill I can't eat really anything but after that I'm back to 2-4 oz. I had major pain when I ate bread or fried foods. I cut those out and things are much better. Best of luck

I really find that lots of running cuts me a lot of slack in this area. I mean, I try to stay on track and eat well and I do 90% of the time, but for those times when I dont do so well, like holidays, being very active really prevents weight gain. I always found this prior to banding too.

i have experienced weight gain for the first time since i have had my band. it is only 6 lbs but it has me on edge because for me 6 turns in to 60 pretty quickly.

i had a slight unfil due to acid reflux. it seems i can eat MUCH more after the unfill than before. tonight i came home and had a cup of chili and two pieces of corn...that is more than i have eaten for dinner for longer than i can remember....and i still feel like eating...i am no longer hungry but my mind wants some more.

i know what i have to do, start moving.....Dibaby...calories in vs calories going out. ...you are right on. so instead of being on the computer i will go out for a 3 mile walk to help get myself back on track.

Pbandit and others struggling....I suggest you do the same !!!

Let us know how it goes!!!

I got up today and i had gained one pound. I know why tho. I have been really sick all week and have only been to the gym once. For me to lose i have to exercise and track calories. I don`t mind doing this because i have been getting results I will be back in the gym tomorrow. Donna

For several months I munched on popcorn during the evening, ate custards or low fat puddings in the afternoon, drank Starbucks, slipped in little Snacks like goldfish and chips. I knew how to eat around the band so nothing would get stuck. I ate a bunch of empty carbs each day and I did not lose one pound for 6 months. Then last month I got honest with myself and cut it all out. Now I eat a Protein bar in the morning and 2 meals a day mostly high in Protein with low carbs, drink a ton a Water and exercise at least once a day for 30 minutes. I have dropped 5 pounds, 1 whole dress size and gained lots of healthy muscle in the last 5 weeks. Truly look at what you are consuming, do not eat in the evening, eat only when really hungry. I noticed with my band that the first few months the weight fell off effortlessly. Now it is more like a diet but with the difference that I don't have the extreme hunger and I will not be able to regain the weight. I might be able to regain 4-5 pounds but I can never overeat again which is what caused me to regain my weight over and over again.

I was banded 4/17/07. lost 35# in 3 months; from being so sick & in so much pain everytime I ate. I have not lost anything in the past 3 months. I exercise, drink lots of Water, eat diet food(no fat or sugar). I don't know what to do either. I have gone throught so much pain & expense for 35#????

I am getting a fill on Friday, but I'm scared to death.

I can't take much more pain. I really think I have band slippage.

Robin that is just SO true.

That's exactly how I find my band. I had to work to get the weight off but the benefits of the band are showing a thousandfold in weight maintenance. I can eat poorly and make bad decisions and I can eat around the band. Im not perfect so I sometimes do it. But I just truly cannot eat enough to seriously gain weight.

If I pig out in the afternoon, I cant eat my dinner. It keeps the calories honest, if not the nutritional content.