Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dates that don't revolve around food

Going to the support groups isn't to land a date. It's to get out and be social. Dating is not the only way to be social. Go make friends. Go get comfortable in public outings. Have fun. The goal isn't to meet someone to date, but it might happen anyway. When you're comfortable and happy with your social life it's a lot easier to attract someone who sees light coming out of you. Right now you are projecting this image (at least on this thread) as a sad, shut-in loner who hopes that internet magic will bring you a love life. Go love life instead, and the rest will either come or it won't, but at least you'll be out enjoying the world.

• Like 7

Both my ex-wife and I had weight issues. We seldom did anything that didn't involve food. I told my new girlfriend about my surgery on our first date. She's gone out of her way to suggest activities that don't involve food (we went bird watching last Sunday). I really appreciate her efforts.

• Like 2

What about joining some running/fitness groups? I'm 17 years out of the dating game but it seems like a great way to meet people. If no romantic interests, at least some great friends.

People are going to want to eat,

Next time (because you'll probably run into the same problem if you are not upfront ) order soup...

9 hours ago, LELH said:

What about joining some running/fitness groups? I'm 17 years out of the dating game but it seems like a great way to meet people. If no romantic interests, at least some great friends.

My girlfriend belongs to a small gym where she takes exercise classes and lifts weights. She's made lots for friends there (but no dates). My dad was part of a running group for years. He made a lot of friends too. I'm a more solitary person and don't socialize much while I'm exercising. So I guess it depends on a person's personality.

Edited by CalGuy64

I'm getting back into dating and not having the problems some are. Worst things so far have been lying about looks (she used old, old pics) and being sexted (I want to get to know someone and develop a relationship, not just jump into bed).

I used to avoid crowds or social settings because I was self conscious, etc. Now that I'm 120 down and not too far from my goal weight I'm feeling confident, like I have the world at my fingertips. 20 - 30 pounds ago I felt that way too. I'm doing activities I've always wanted to do, but didn't. All the dates I've been on have been one timers so far...either you connect or you don't.

So guys, you need to break out of your shells and start going outside your comfort zone. Live life instead letting life pass you by. I'm hoping to meet a great woman, but my happiness is not dependent on that.

As far as dates that don't revolve around food...hiking, going to a park, outdoor concerts, live music, coffee shops, lake kayaking, bike rides, snow tubing...I could go on and on.

There's much to do out in this great big world!! I'm going to die with memories, not wishing I had done this or that...I'm done with that way of life.

VSG 10/11/17 HW = 360 SW = 292 CW = 239.6 GW = 220 (6'5")

• Like 1

I'm getting back into dating and not having the problems some are. Worst things so far have been lying about looks (she used old, old pics) and being sexted (I want to get to know someone and develop a relationship, not just jump into bed).

I used to avoid crowds or social settings because I was self conscious, etc. Now that I'm 120 down and not too far from my goal weight I'm feeling confident, like I have the world at my fingertips. 20 - 30 pounds ago I felt that way too. I'm doing activities I've always wanted to do, but didn't. All the dates I've been on have been one timers so far...either you connect or you don't.

So guys, you need to break out of your shells and start going outside your comfort zone. Live life instead letting life pass you by. I'm hoping to meet a great woman, but my happiness is not dependent on that.

As far as dates that don't revolve around food...hiking, going to a park, outdoor concerts, live music, coffee shops, lake kayaking, bike rides, snow tubing...I could go on and on.

There's much to do out in this great big world!! I'm going to die with memories, not wishing I had done this or that...I'm done with that way of life.

I have a premium package at planet fitness and I would think that's a good place for a date also, maybe on a Saturday afternoon. That's just what I thought. Might not be for you. HW 238, SW 209 CW 147

Sent from my N9560 using BariatricPal mobile app

• Like 1

I have a premium package at planet fitness and I would think that's a good place for a date also, maybe on a Saturday afternoon. That's just what I thought. Might not be for you. HW 238, SW 209 CW 147
Sent from my N9560 using BariatricPal mobile app

Great idea!

In a few minutes I'm going to go meet my girlfriend for a hike she's planned in a local state park. The hike is 9 and a half miles. I hope I'll be able to keep up -- it would be real embarrassing to have to ask her to slow down.

Definitely a date that doesn't involve food!

Edited by CalGuy64
  • Like 2

I read this whole thread and man some non food date ideas trivia night is a fun one for me also there is going to the local game store and dropping in on an role playing game I've made tons of friends this year doing that mind you I am a nerd so that is right up my alley there's always taking a class like painting pottery something fun low key where you use your hands

Sent from my SM-T380 using BariatricPal mobile app

I sure don't want to date Kim Jong Un, that dude is major weird! Do you think if we got him a campership to BatiatricPalMX, He could have a bypass or VSG and it might improve his outlook on the world and sweeten his spirit? Just asking![emoji51]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app