Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removal and Sleeve in one surgery ... what should I expect?

I just found out last Wednesday that my Lap Band of 10 years slipped and needs to be removed. Surgery is scheduled this coming Friday, May 19th. I didn't know what the sleeve was a few days ago and now i'm having it done in 5 days! I found out that it was the Band (resulting from acid reflux) that gave me pneumonia this past Feb and put me in the hospital for 5 days (pneumonia leading to acute renal failure). It's nothing to mess with. Anyway, this is all so new. Not that I'm a wimp, but can anyone that's had both removal and sleeve at the same time tell me what to expect pain wise? I just want to prepare myself mentally. And how long were you out from work? I have a desk job. The nurse said 1-2 weeks. Is that accurate? Any feedback will help as this is so sudden and I haven't had time to wrap my head around it all.

Hi @Allie1958,

I had this done 3 months back. Pain-wise I didn't need anything more than a bit of liquid Tylenol once I was home. As for the time off, the first week I was exhausted, the second week I was ready to go back to work, but towards the end of that week I starting getting tired again. I took a third week off and was fine by week four. We all heal differently,but that was my experience. Best of luck!!

Thank you, that is really helpful...and reassuring!

One more question ... was it outpatient or did you stay in the hospital? If so, how did you feel the day after surgery?

I had my Lap Band for 14 years and had it removed March 14 and had a revision to the Gastric Sleeve. I'm thrilled I did it and I'm back to losing weight. I was in the hospital for three days and have had no problems yet with the exception of heard burn but it is nothing like the issues I had with my band. You will do great! Best of luck!

I'm curious about this as well. Mine isn't until July, but I'm unsure if what to expect..

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

With your acid reflux, has the surgeon considered revising you to a Gastric Bypass instead of a VSG?

The sleeve scares me, gastric bypass terrifies me. My friend's husband died 3 months after gastric bypass. The nurse practitioner took all the saline out of my band and I've had no acid reflux since then. I'm doing the lap band out/sleeve in as an outpatient surgery. A little nervous about that.... I really appreciate everyone's perspective.

Sara - how bad is your reflux with the sleeve. I dont have any reflux without my band now.. but I noticd I burp more than I used to and a bit worried this might mean I have issues with reflux after my sleeve operation next week?

Sent from my SM-G955F using BariatricPal mobile app

On 5/15/2017 at 9:43 PM, Allie1958 said:

The sleeve scares me, gastric bypass terrifies me. My friend's husband died 3 months after gastric bypass. The nurse practitioner took all the saline out of my band and I've had no acid reflux since then. I'm doing the lap band out/sleeve in as an outpatient surgery. A little nervous about that.... I really appreciate everyone's perspective.

Are you asking me? (I'm Sara, but I'm not sleeved yet) My surgery is July 14th :) I have no reflux with the band..

I had a band-out sleeve on April 12. I work in an office but drive a lot between locations. Was out of work for 8 days. Have been very pleased. No more stuck episodes. My stomach feels better and I am losing weight again. I have lost 26 pounds between pre-op liquids and now (about six weeks).

I did have trouble with swelling and Fluid retention with the band-out portion of the surgery. It took about four weeks for the fluid to start being absorbed. I recommend massage and periodic heat to relieve discomfort.

Overall, I highly recommend the conversion. I still get tired a bit sooner that the past, but I feel so much better!

On 19/05/2017 at 4:02 AM, Sara Bronson said:

Are you asking me? (I'm Sara, but I'm not sleeved yet) My surgery is July 14th :) I have no reflux with the band..

Apologies Sara, it was actually @Kimberlee725 I was just typing very late at night here, so my brain had obviously switched off. Sorry :-)

They messed up the scheduling and I won't have the surgery until Friday, June 2nd. I'm sorry to hear your band slipped. Did they take out all the fill? I've been 2 weeks without any fill so eating for the first time in 10 years like a normal person. I hate it! I've already gained 5 lbs.

I'm dead set on getting the sleeve, no waffling there, yet the last 24 hours I've had extreme anxiety. Can't even sleep. The Lap Band is so flexible and reversible. With the sleeve it's a whole other ballgame. I think I just need to concentrate on the big picture and stop concentrating on next week!

I hope your doctor will move it up for you ... good luck!

I am doing great! I experienced "heart burn" feeling while I was still on liquids which was annoying. My doctors office has me on prilosec. They say it's important so that your new tummy doesn't create as much acid. I'm eating like I should, concentrating on Protein and veggies. I don't get that "elephant sitting on my chest feeling anymore, but I get the full sensation, which I'm learning to listen to my body, full is full! I LOVE never being hungry, however, head hunger is another talk show!