Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Removal and Sleeve in one surgery ... what should I expect?

On 5/24/2017 at 8:17 PM, Allie1958 said:

They messed up the scheduling and I won't have the surgery until Friday, June 2nd. I'm sorry to hear your band slipped. Did they take out all the fill? I've been 2 weeks without any fill so eating for the first time in 10 years like a normal person. I hate it! I've already gained 5 lbs.

I'm dead set on getting the sleeve, no waffling there, yet the last 24 hours I've had extreme anxiety. Can't even sleep. The Lap Band is so flexible and reversible. With the sleeve it's a whole other ballgame. I think I just need to concentrate on the big picture and stop concentrating on next week!

I hope your doctor will move it up for you ... good luck!

They are definitely moving my up due to it now being medically necessary, but I don't know when yet. I talked to my doctor's office yesterday, and I go back the second week of June for the sleeve nutrition class and my weigh in. I was also told yesterday that it normally takes up to 30 days to be insurance approval, but that they are going to push it due to medical necessity. So we'll see!

Please keep us posted on your journey!!

Hello i just had my band removed and got sleeved on may 24th, 5 days ago, i was inpatient for 3 days but everything went smooth, i cant tell much for now but hoping things would be better than the band.

They messed up the scheduling and I won't have the surgery until Friday, June 2nd. I'm sorry to hear your band slipped. Did they take out all the fill? I've been 2 weeks without any fill so eating for the first time in 10 years like a normal person. I hate it! I've already gained 5 lbs.

I'm dead set on getting the sleeve, no waffling there, yet the last 24 hours I've had extreme anxiety. Can't even sleep. The Lap Band is so flexible and reversible. With the sleeve it's a whole other ballgame. I think I just need to concentrate on the big picture and stop concentrating on next week!

The gastric sleeve is completely a different story, the band is something you can control or remove if you want, I emptied my bad 7 months ago and i gained 30 lb so i decided to go with the sleeve, mentality im still in a shock that 80% of my stomach is gone but im hoping to get over it and start seeing results, i really hope you make the best for you because you are the one who is going to live with it. Best of lucks

I'm anxious but excited too. I'm sure my anxiety will go through the roof once I get a surgery date. But one of my cousins had the sleeve done a year and a half ago, and she has done great! No issues, and amazing weight loss!

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

The gastric sleeve is completely a different story, the band is something you can control or remove if you want, I emptied my bad 7 months ago and i gained 30 lb so i decided to go with the sleeve, mentality im still in a shock that 80% of my stomach is gone but im hoping to get over it and start seeing results, i really hope you make the best for you because you are the one who is going to live with it. Best of lucks

Praying things get better for you! You got this [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Well, surgery was last Friday; the band is now out and the sleeve in. Everything went smoothly, no complications. I actually feel great, though a little sore. No nausea (I took pills to prevent it) and have not had a hard time swallowing or any stomach pain whatsoever. It was outpatient and I was walking that night by myself to the bathroom. I stressed over this for three weeks before and shouldn't have. And I have no psychological stress like I thought I might have over losing most of my stomach. So glad that part's over. I am really tired of liquids though, and would give anything to munch on a cracker! I think one thing that has speeded up my recovery is I have been drinking fresh green veggies juices during prep (with consent of nutritionist) and the same plus fresh watermelon juice after the surgery. I highly recommend that to anyone who has a juicer--with your doctor's OK of course.

I had my band out and sleeve done 2 weeks ago, I planned to be back at work at 2 weeks, but I dont quite feel up to it so I am waiting until Monday which will be almost 3 weeks post op. My band had been a a problem for years and I should have had it done sooner. I paid cash for my band and it was a real sacrifice so I was determined to make it work. But it had slipped and I had been vomiting 30+ times a week. There was such severe scarring that my procedure was very extensive, I had to self pay again which was really frustrating. But even though it's been a rough go so far, I can feel a difference with my band gone. I am still facing a dialation of the scar tissue where my band was once the staples heal in a few months, because even though they cut out an insane amount of scar tissue I still have some restriction from what's left. I wish I had don't it years ago before it got so bad. The band is awful, I lost 140 pounds before I started having problems with my band and I gained almost all of it back living on an almost completely liquid diet for nearly 3 years due to band issues.

If everything is normal in there expect a quick revision. I wasn't so lucky my band had slipped so high up my esophagus not to mention the scar tissue was all around it and to top it off the band was a French band Dr had never seen before, 1hr surgery turned to over 3 hours. Month out though I'm good and 50lbs lighter! Just started soft solid I can eat everything no stuck feeling but I do get that full feeling loving it.

I am considering a revision from band to sleeve, and had a few questions.

Does anyone feel comfortable telling me what the self pay price was? I have United Heath Care, amd bariatric isnt covered. :(

I just started a new job 2 weeks ago and can't take 2 weeks off. I bet I could work from home....? Do you think I would feel up to it?

With the band you cant eat certain things or you will throw up. Is it the same with the sleeve? I am scared because its permanent, but HAVE to get this weight off again!

Thanks everyone!

Mine is $6450, I'm going to Dr Gerardo Garcia Alvarez at Bariatric Mexico. I have 8 people in my town that have gone there in the last year. They are phenomenal!! Even now, before my surgery I am seeing the quality of their work and quality of care. Their coordinator makes you feel like family. He answers my text messages or phone calls anytime of the day or night. Very prompt to get back to me, very helpful with me finding financing.. because I needed a loan to get it.. I mean I just can't say enough about how great this place is. It's a little bit more expensive but well worth it when it comes to your health as far as I'm concerned

I had the band to sleeve revision. It was the best thing I had ever done. I was miserable with the band as I would eat and throw up with the healthy food but could easily eat the crap food. I'm blessed with my federal employee insurance and paid 300 dollars for everything. But average price is about 4500 dollars in Mexico, some very reputable doctors I personally had Dr. Salas for a full body lift and removal of thigh skin which was done when I had lost weight on my own prior to the band ( which was worthless) or sleeve. It has been the best thing I have ever done. I'm a little over a month out and down almost 60 lbs ( if I'm not mistaken). After surgery I was really weak for about 2 weeks but could have managed working at home.. good luck

My insurance doesn't cover bariatric either and I had to self pay. The cost was $12,000 for both band removal and sleeve in one surgery. This was done in Salt Lake City. I still have hope that insurance may pay for $6000 of it (band removal) since they should pay if it's considered "Equipment Failure" and is life threatening. My lap band slipped but once they took out the fill I didn't have acid reflux anymore so possibly not considered life threatening. I'm still waiting their decision. I was outpatient and an hour after waking up was out the door. Back to work in one week. I drank fresh veggie juices daily with the pre op and post op diet and that really helped my energy level (nutritionist OK'd it). To answer your question about throwing up, I had surgery on June 2 and haven't thrown up once which is quite different from the band -- yay! Everything has gone smoothly. My only disappointment is that I've only lost one pound since surgery. But the sleeve is helping me maintain my weight without any effort. I'm 169 lbs. and 5'7" so I'm going to have to work at it to lose my last 15 lbs. I was freaked out about losing 75% of my stomach as well -- it kept me up nights. It's strange but all fears were gone after surgery. I hope the same for you!

Good luck!

Edited by Allie1958

Hi there!...had my "Band Sleeve" revision 10 days ago...I feel like I can return to work now....but I will be taking 2 weeks off .....my pain level on 1st 3 days was minimal (stayed in Hospital 3 days) I had an I.V and had pain meds I.V every 6 hrs..:)...once home my pain level has been maybe a 4/10... easily controlled with Tylenol....the pain will be over your throats and abdominal area (due intubation for O2 during surgery)....it took almost 7 days to get rid of my throat pain...now the pains is mostly over the incision areas (5 small incisions)...I HAVE MINIMAL PAIN TOLERANCE...and I can absolutely tell u it wasn't that bad!!!.... u will do great....good look!!!....:)