Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Colorado Surgeons

I thought it would be helpful if you guys could give info on surgeons in our state for soon-to-be bandsters to make a decision. If you could list the following info, it would be very helpful:

Surgeon Name

Date of banding

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc)

How many incisions

Type of band (if you know)

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share)

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff

Thank you so much in advance, guys! If you can think of another thing to add to the list that I didn't think of, please feel free! :)

Edited by steph_co

Surgeon Name: Frank Chae

Date of banding: 9/10/07

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc): Sutures deeper, with glue on top

How many incisions: 5

If you got an AP band (if you know): I got the bigger Vanguard

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share): $15,000

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff: LOVE the hospital, staff and dietician are very friendly and supportive. Dr. Chae is very professional and the one of best in his field. (He teaches the surgery.)

Oh, this post had disappeared. I guess after the re-organize, it came back. So now I'll answer for mine. :rolleyes:

Surgeon Name: Thomas Brown

Date of banding: Nov 15, 2007

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc): sutures

Type of band (if you know): AP small

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share): $10,850

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff: Dr Brown was great. Good bedside manner, very approachable, good experience. I like the NP (Allyson) that does my fills. Their social worker that does the evals is great. The nutritionists are great. The only one I kind of hold issue with is the receptionist. She runs warm and cold. I can't say hot and cold because I've never seen her overtly warm to somebody. LOL It's like lukewarm and cold. Short on the phone. Kind of irks me, but I love the rest of the staff.

Great Thread Steph, I am currently researching Dr.'s and this thread will be very helpful. There's gotta be more Coloradoans, come on, let's hear about your surgeon!

Guest BikiniBeachy

Good to hear about this thread!!

Would love to have it filled out for Tillquist!

Surgeon Name Dr. Stacie Perlman

Location Colorado Springs

Date of banding

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc) sutures, glue

How many incisions one main one and 4 little poke marks

Type of band (if you know) I am not sure, I just know that it is the smaller one?

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share) so far, about 15 K, but Insurance (BCBS) is covering like a normal surgery? not complaining...

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff I love my surgeon, she takes all the time you need to answer questions you may have. The office staff is exceptional! They did all the leg work for me!:cursing:

Edited by Tamboh63

Guest BikiniBeachy

What's 'the bigger Vanguard?'

Surgeon Name - Dr. James Smith

Location - Pueblo, Co

Date of Banding - 7-12-07

What your surgeon closed with - sutures/glue

How many incisions - 4 small - 1 larger

Type of Band - VG

Overall cost of surgery - $14,000 - includes 1 year of fills

Personal review of surgeon/staff - I love my surgeon and his staff. They are all very knowledgeable, caring and compassionate. The follow up /support groups are wonderful. My surgeon is actually at each and every support group.

Surgeon Name Dr Michael Snyder

Location Denver / Rose Medical Center

Date of banding 4/11/08

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc) glue

How many incisions 5 3 of mine were slightly larger due to previous mediacl history

Type of band (if you know) I have'nt aked this yet will on my next visit I think I got a card in the hosoital but can't find it now.

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share) check out his web site @denverbariatrics.com

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and they are great several are band or bypass patients themselves. He offers a full program and support not just surgery and fill. I opted to drive from Ne because I trully believe he has a great program and if you are not successful it is because you didn't follow through with his recommendations. Most of which I'm finding through this website are much more realistic and doable then a lot of them out there.

Good luck in your search.

Surgeon Name Dr Michael Snyder

Location Denver / Rose Medical Center

Date of banding 4/11/08

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc) glue

How many incisions 5 3 of mine were slightly larger due to previous mediacl history

Type of band (if you know) I have'nt aked this yet will on my next visit I think I got a card in the hosoital but can't find it now.

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share) check out his web site @denverbariatrics.com

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and they are great several are band or bypass patients themselves. He offers a full program and support not just surgery and fill. I opted to drive from Ne because I trully believe he has a great program and if you are not successful it is because you didn't follow through with his recommendations. Most of which I'm finding through this website are much more realistic and doable then a lot of them out there.

Good luck in your search.

Thanks so much for your report, Losing It. I have my first consult appt. with Dr. Snyder in the morning. I am very anxious and hope to get a surgery date soon, have all the prescreenings and paperwork done so far and am self pay. He has come very highly recommended by some people I know and that means a lot which is why I chose to stick with him vs. many of the other choices in Denver.

Surgeon Name: Dr Michael Roller, Northern Colorado Surgical Associates (NCSA)

Date of banding: 11.27.07

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc): steristrips (looked like tape)

Type of band (if you know): Inamed, 14cc

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share): ~$24000 (UHC covered, just had to pay my co-pay)

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff: Wonderful surgeon, wonderful staff. They have always been very supportive. They have monthly Support Groups, one with the Surgeon and Nurse, a second group with the Bariatric Surgery therapist. NCSA staff take on even the high risk patients that other Surgeons refer. They are general surgeons as well as Bariatric. I highly recommend them. www.ncsurgical.net

Cherlita

Banded 11.27.07

379/345/180

Surgeon Name: Dr. Johnell

Date of banding: 9-28-2004

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc): tape

Type of band (if you know): don't remember

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share): around $13,000, insurance covered most of this

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff: I felt so comfortable with the staff and surgeon. You can tell that they really care about you and would do anything for you. They even take calls at anytime day or night. I recommed this doctor.

Surgeon: Dr. Tillquist

Date: 5/29/08

Closer: Glue

incision #: 5

type of band: Realize

Overall cost: 12K self-pay

Dr. Tillquist is great, very sweet. I LOVE his NP CJ, she is fab! Receptionist is off putting at first, but gets better. So far, so good.

Surgeon: Dr. Melniczek

Date: 5/23/08

Closer: Glue

incision #: 5

type of band: Emmi?????

Overall cost: 9K self-pay

Surgeon Name - Dr. Michael Johnell

Location - Greeley Hospital - outpatient

Date of banding - 4/24/08

What your surgeon closed with (sutures, glue, staples, etc) - disolvable stiches covered with bandages

How many incisions 4 or 5?

Type of band (if you know) Lap- 10cc new one

Overall cost of your surgery (if you wish to share) 24k but includes 10wk of follow up all pre op test etc.. all covered my insurance, had copay of $800 as it was part of my deductible. I have Blue Shield of California and lap is covered. They got me approved in one week. Started investigating on 3/1 and had surgery 6 wks later. Got all paperwork from family doc, had been on 2 diets with documentation, failed the ordered sleep test and was diagnosed with sleep apnea.

And your personal review of the surgeon and his/her office and staff

There are not enough words to use to tell you how much I love this staff and this man. They are AMAZING - ask me a million questions, I can't say enough. I had my band put in and he tested it and it had a leak. He replaced it b/f closing me up. I'm so relieved he tested.

Would love to meet more Colorado friends. I need a support group of friends to eat 3 bites with.