Jump to content
×
Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random Bariatric Thought of the Day.



Recommended Posts

Wouldn't it be great if bariatric surgeons all had to have bariatric surgery themselves before they practiced?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather they all freaking agree on some basic things like pre-op diet guidelines and post-op diets for the first 8 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My surgeon definitely needed a lesson in not being a douchebag. But I hear that is the case with a lot of surgeons. I appreciate the fact that he is talented and did a good job on my surgery, but I'll never forget what a horrible person he was to my family and me on that day. (And I won't allow them to photograph me and use me in any of their advertisements because of it...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, orionburn said:

I'd rather they all freaking agree on some basic things like pre-op diet guidelines and post-op diets for the first 8 weeks.

I'm actually surprised this is expected of surgeons back in the US. In Canada you're assigned a case manager and RD (registered dietitian) who take care of that. All the surgeon does here is say what he feels is a comfortable length of pre-op diet given the patient's weight, medical history, etc. In my case I even got two second opinions, and the surgeon was the one who even suggested them just to verify for making up my mind whether I wanted to do VSG or RNY.

20 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

My surgeon definitely needed a lesson in not being a douchebag. But I hear that is the case with a lot of surgeons. I appreciate the fact that he is talented and did a good job on my surgery, but I'll never forget what a horrible person he was to my family and me on that day. (And I won't allow them to photograph me and use me in any of their advertisements because of it...)

I must be a rare case. Dr. Richdeep Gill has been an awesome surgeon thus far. I've only had 3 appointments and an endoscopy with him, and OR date for him to slice and dice me up is April 20th, but the guy is very clinical with his work, explains everything well, has a very positive attitude, and moreover attuned toward patient concerns. Granted, he also seems like he's in his early/mid 30s like me.. one of the surgeons I had a second opinion with, I'm actually glad I didn't have him as my actual surgeon. Had the attitude of an old vet who's tired of everyone's crap. :70_poop:

I also sort of told him I'm deviating from the RD's stupid pre-op liquid diet requirements, and given my results have been fantastic (I'm sure if they weren't he'd be scolding me), he's actually praised my efforts and research.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PatientEleventyBillion said:

I must be a rare case. Dr. Richdeep Gill has been an awesome surgeon thus far. I've only had 3 appointments and an endoscopy with him, and OR date for him to slice and dice me up is April 20th, but the guy is very clinical with his work, explains everything well, has a very positive attitude, and moreover attuned toward patient concerns. Granted, he also seems like he's in his early/mid 30s like me.. one of the surgeons I had a second opinion with, I'm actually glad I didn't have him as my actual surgeon. Had the attitude of an old vet who's tired of everyone's crap. :70_poop:

My surgeon showed up 3 hours late to the hospital with no explanation and no apology. (This after they called me 3 different times the day before the surgery to change the time I should arrive at the hospital.) I was the last surgery, so we waited for hours and hours in the waiting room. When I finally did get to go, he never spoke to me or my family. After it was over, he talked to mom on the phone because he wanted to leave (meaning that my dad and my parnter had to get information secondhand). He didn't go out and speak to them in person as he had done with every other patient's family all day. And, to top it off, when my mom (a sleeve patient herself) asked some questions, he was condescending and rude to her.

He is an incredible surgeon, but, based on that experience, he is not a great person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

My surgeon showed up 3 hours late to the hospital with no explanation and no apology. (This after they called me 3 different times the day before the surgery to change the time I should arrive at the hospital.) I was the last surgery, so we waited for hours and hours in the waiting room. When I finally did get to go, he never spoke to me or my family. After it was over, he talked to mom on the phone because he wanted to leave (meaning that my dad and my parnter had to get information secondhand). He didn't go out and speak to them in person as he had done with every other patient's family all day. And, to top it off, when my mom (a sleeve patient herself) asked some questions, he was condescending and rude to her.

He is an incredible surgeon, but, based on that experience, he is not a great person.

I'd be slightly uncomfortable with someone like that digging through my guts -- great or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

My surgeon showed up 3 hours late to the hospital with no explanation and no apology. (This after they called me 3 different times the day before the surgery to change the time I should arrive at the hospital.) I was the last surgery, so we waited for hours and hours in the waiting room. When I finally did get to go, he never spoke to me or my family. After it was over, he talked to mom on the phone because he wanted to leave (meaning that my dad and my parnter had to get information secondhand). He didn't go out and speak to them in person as he had done with every other patient's family all day. And, to top it off, when my mom (a sleeve patient herself) asked some questions, he was condescending and rude to her.

That guy deserves a biiiiiiiiiiiiig

fuck_you_you_fucking_fuck_postcards_package_of.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, orionburn said:

I'd rather they all freaking agree on some basic things like pre-op diet guidelines and post-op diets for the first 8 weeks.

I agree with this! Not too concerned about if they should have the surgery. For them to be qualified to cut a body and work on the insides, is enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S

30 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

My surgeon showed up 3 hours late to the hospital with no explanation and no apology. (This after they called me 3 different times the day before the surgery to change the time I should arrive at the hospital.) I was the last surgery, so we waited for hours and hours in the waiting room. When I finally did get to go, he never spoke to me or my family. After it was over, he talked to mom on the phone because he wanted to leave (meaning that my dad and my parnter had to get information secondhand). He didn't go out and speak to them in person as he had done with every other patient's family all day. And, to top it off, when my mom (a sleeve patient herself) asked some questions, he was condescending and rude to her.

He is an incredible surgeon, but, based on that experience, he is not a great person.

Maybe he had a rough day? His behavior isn't excusable but forgivable. I'm sorry you had that experience too. But all is well now, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

That guy deserves a biiiiiiiiiiiiig

fuck_you_you_fucking_fuck_postcards_package_of.jpg

No need. I'd just take some viagra before surgery and go in with a huge boner for him to stare at the entire time.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

S

Maybe he had a rough day? His behavior isn't excusable but forgivable. I'm sorry you had that experience too. But all is well now, right?

Yep. Everything is fine. And his staff is amazing. But I won't let him profit off of my success after he treated my family and me like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, blizair09 said:

Yep. Everything is fine. And his staff is amazing. But I won't let him profit off of my success after he treated my family and me like that.

Understood and I wouldn't either. Sometimes we just have to shake the dust off and move on, right? I'm glad all is well. Congrats on your progress so far!!! You've done an amazing job. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was very lucky with my surgeon and his staff. Dr. Onopchenko was wonderful. He and his staff were very kind and explained everything. Treated me and my husband with great respect.
Best experience with a surgeon that I've ever had.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, so sorry to hear some of you had bad experiences with your surgeons.

My surgeon was awesome! Super empathetic, respectful, thorough, etc. When I told him I wanted to ride a roller coaster, horse, etc. he got tears in his eyes. I have the utmost respect for him. A family member sees him every now and then and he always asks how I am doing. There is good and not so good in every profession.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surgeon and hospital care was great! Surgeon arrogant but my experience is they normally are..but as long as they do a good job and all parts in order I'm happy..nurses and doctors make up for bed side manner lacking in surgeon.


Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Trending Products

  • Trending Topics

  • Recent Status Updates

    • lizardskelter

      done
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • heyitsdilly

      I've officially surpassed 80lbs of weight loss! Working on that 100lbs!
      · 1 reply
      1. acopas

        Way to go!

    • Songbyrd420

      Kind of nervous, as expected. One month out from surgery!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • lauren.g

      😫 Hi, I’m new to bariatricpal! I am 8 days post op VSG. I am struggling very badly. I’ve been so emotional because I feel like I’m doing wrong. I’m afraid I’ll eat or drink to fast or eat the wrong thing. I’ve been on Pinterest and YouTube constantly for help. I have followed all of my surgeons and dieticians instructions. I just don’t know if my body is getting enough. Today, I am weak, sore, and just exhausted. 
      · 2 replies
      1. Tara A

        It passes!! Everyone goes though it! It is a short term emotion! I'm almost five years post op! You made the right decision! Don't focus on the change right now. Try to entertain your mind. What your feeling only last about a week. It's related to your body adjusting and you mind adjusting. You got this!!

      2. SleeverSk

        I agree with Tara it's hard right now but it gets better do t forget your hormones will be all over the place you may even feel depressed. Be kind to yourself reach out and talk to people how you are feeling .

    • Reluctantsleever

      Scheduled for VSG and hernia repair surgery 5/18/22
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

  • Hot Products

  • Sign Up For
    Our Newsletter

    Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

    PatchAid Vitamin Patches

    ×