Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm looking forward to a new me

ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486832760.946864.jpg ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1486832810.459686.jpg

As I'm looking through my pictures I notice I never really have full body pictures .I think I am a real beautiful women but the crazy thing I can't see it because my weight is standing in my way.Im so happy that in a while I will be happy with the skin I am in.I do love me i really do but I really need a healthy change .March 8th is coming soon and I couldn't be more happy .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You look amazing! I thought that was an after pic!

I had my sleeve done recently. Although my opinion is not in the majority. I will recomend you don't do this! This surgery is scary and life altering. I REGRET decision everyday. I have major acid reflux that I never ever had pre op. This is the only irreversible surgery. Evendors the gastric bypass can be reversed if there's serious healthough issues. There are newer procedure coming out like the Gastric Ballon. There will be more over the years! I will always deal with complications from this extreme surgery. I had the lapband and took it out. I will regret doing this to myself everyday. It's not always rosy and you can't turn back.

Best wishes.

AnneElliot I swear after reading a couple of post I am getting cold feet .I am going to talk to my surgeon one more time .I have many of my co workers that have done the surgery and is doing wonderful feeling wonderful and here I am getting nervous .About is this the right choice for me .But I am ready for a change .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@shaylady08 this is a very very serious decision. It's yours alone. Remember this surgery is your surgeons bread and butter. He/she wont live in your body post op.

Do you think your coworkers share their true struggles with you. There's a lot of shame associated with hating something you did to yourself. They could be okay today, but what about 20 or 40 years ftom now?

I was so optimistic preop. But I am not ashamed with saying that I made a mistake.

@AnneElliot, is the only reason why you regret the surgery due to acid reflux? I read your response in another post somewhere too. There are ways to manage it. Please get with your doc and get it taken care of.

@shaylady08, I believe you'll be fine! You'll be an upgraded you too! I'll be about 2 months after you and I'm looking forward to it. It takes faith to go through with this and expect everything to be 100% on the other side. Obviously, it may not be, but to add more life to our years without the weight to hinder us trumps it all, in my opinion.

@Newme17 Bear in mind, this is not your run of the mill acid reflux. I am in treatment from my doctor. It's barely controlled with two 40 mg PPIs a day.

Taking PPIs long term is not good.

There are ppl on this forum that had to revise to Gastric Bypass due to very severe acid reflux that is as a result of the sleeve...it's a high pressure system.

This is a reality.

Hearing both ends is important.

All the best.

@AnneElliotI'm so sorry to hear that. I truly wish you all the best too hon. Take care of yourself and I hope all turns out well for you.

" Hi I had the sleeve done 11-17-16. Only problem I had was Constipation I thought I try ever thing but my daughter said mom have you tried castor I said no but you are right and it work with thin. 5minutes I was going to the bathroom thank God. My starting weight was 260. Now I weigh 198. I can do all things through Christ that strengthen me. just keep the faith after your surgery keep do your walking breathing and drinking you made the right decision God bless you I will be praying for you God bless keep me posted!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using BariatricPal mobile app

I came across some statistics.

People that get the sleeve and didn't have GERD prior to surgery.. 9% will develop GERD because of the surgery.

16% of people that have acid going into surgery had it resolve!

But, acid is a concern, and one of the reasons I'm considering getting a RYN bypass to begin with. Or I'll get the sleeve, and have a 9% chance of needing a revision.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I came across some statistics.

People that get the sleeve and didn't have GERD prior to surgery.. 9% will develop GERD because of the surgery.

16% of people that have acid going into surgery had it resolve!

But, acid is a concern, and one of the reasons I'm considering getting a RYN bypass to begin with. Or I'll get the sleeve, and have a 9% chance of needing a revision.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Go figure!? I'm going to be that 16%!!! [emoji4]

@Berry78. I've read that research paper. It's a sample of patients from one facility I believe.

Here's the latest study on the relationship between Acid Reflux and the Sleeve...10 yrs post op.

Moderating the Enthusiasm of Sleeve Gastrectomy: Up to Fifty Percent of Reflux Symptoms After Ten Years in a Consecutive Series of One Hundred Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomies.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) has become a popular one-stage bariatric procedure with a proven efficacy on weight loss. However, the relationship between LSG and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) remains a subject of debate. The objective is to determine the long-term effect of LSG on weight loss and reflux disease.

METHODS:

A retrospective analysis of 100 consecutive patients who underwent an LSG between January 2005 and March 2009 was performed. The effect of LSG on weight evolution and the relationship between preoperative and postoperative GERD symptoms and PPI dependency was analyzed.

RESULTS:

A mean follow-up of 8.48 years (range 6.1-10.3) was achieved. We observed a long-term % excess weight loss (%EWL) of 60%. A significant increase in reflux symptoms and use of PPIs was seen. Seventeen percent suffered from reflux disease preoperatively versus 50% at the end of the postoperative follow-up (RR = 2.5882, 95% CI [1.6161-4.1452], p value = 0.0001). The chance of developing de novo reflux after LSG was 47.8% (32/67). Reflux disease was present in 7 of the 26 patients who underwent a secondary Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). In four of these seven patients, reflux disease disappeared completely after the secondary RYGB (57.1%).

CONCLUSIONS:

A satisfactory long-term effect on weight loss was achieved. However, a significant increase in GERD and PPI dependency after LSG was noted. New onset GERD was seen in more than 40% of the study population. Conversion to RYGB is a good option in patients with refractory reflux disease after LSG

Thanks for the article, definitely good to know!