Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how long did you have to take off

It took me about 21/2 weeks to feel like my old self again. I only had pain for about two days but so very very tired.

shelli:ranger:

Doesn't sound right to me -- but maybe you have other things going on? definetly would be something to ask him about -- don't hesitate -- you need to fully understand his wishes and reasons.

:peep: Best wishes in your new journey!

I am taking a week off and my surgion told me i need 3????? does that sound right.
Yowzer! I tend to recover very quickly. Keeping that in mind, I had my surgery on a Wednesday. Friday I was feeling restless and went to Target to walk around a bit (it was too cold out to walk outside), and used the shopping cart to lean on. Saturday we drove 1 hr out of town to visit my parents. Sunday I went grocery shopping to prepare for my next few food progression stages. I took it very easy, but was fine. Soreness in my port incision, but nothing I couldn't ignore. Monday - Wed of the following week I telecommuted. I could have gone into the office, but my incisions were closed with staples and the staples were right where my pants hit. I went into the office Thu (staples came out Wed), but the clothes were still uncomfortable on the incisions so I telecommuted the rest of the week (aka I could work in a bathrobe). <!-- google_ad_section_end -->

I think he reasoning is b/c I teach an autistic class and they can be very aggressive at times.. but I simply can't take that much time off of work. I told the nurse that and she told me at least a week and when I go back to let the aides do all of the work... which will be fine.. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't hearing the wrong things....

Surgery is on Wed. going back on Monday.. what do you think?

As an educator, I think a week should be fine. I was worried about the kids coming up and hugging me around the waist....I work in Elementary. And I think its best to go back either mid-week or at the end of the week. Remember that your body is still healing so you do not want to overwork it. That way...if you are exhausted by the end of the day, atleast you would only have 2 or so days to go opposed to 4.

I only took off 6 days including the day of surgery and then went back to my desk job at work...no problem. Many people were out less than that. If you don't WANT to take the time off (a busy job you feel you HAVE to get back to, etc.) then try to negotiate with him. If you don't care, just take the time off if it isn't going to impact your life or finances.

Teaching an autistic class? Well, I think I'd rethink that. When I went back to wor I was just sitting at a desk working at a computer and I was still EXHAUSTED halfway through the day. If you need stamina to do this kind of thing, you better listen to your surgeon. He's got an extremely valid point.

The doctor had me and my wife off for a week with no driving and working. Today Iam relased to go back to work. I feel pretty good but know that the body is still healing. Have been having a lot of gas.

A week isn't very long to be at a job where you are walking around all over the place, and kneeling to talk to children, etc.

If you have aids that can basically do all of the moving around while you teach the class from the front, you'll probably do ok. If you can't take that much time off, you might want to run your surgery time into an already planned vacation time like Christmas Break.

I have an office job, and I had surgery on a Thursday, flew home Monday and worked Tuesday. On Wednesday I felt really good and ran out and did a bunch of errands for the office. By the time I got home I was so exhausted that I just collapsed into bed for a few hours.

I was banded on Friday, Sept. 14th. I was home by about 3:30 that afternoon and did pretty good until I had to take my Metformin that night.

I had never crushed any pills and just ground it up and threw the powder in my mouth and took a drink of Water. WOW - that was the worst experience I can remember in a long time. I started wretching and thought I pulled the band almost. That was the hardest part of the whole recovery for me, was taking the meds.

Sunday afternoon, I went to my Mom's, which was about a 30 minute ride for family birthdays. I am in sales and did some phone calls, emails and computer work from the house on Monday and Tuesday. Was back to calling on customers Wednesday but was still ready for an afternoon nap come midday.

Just yesterday (9/25), has the "lump in my throat" feeling really started to not be noticeable. Everything else seems to going fine though.

I think it is different with each person and they know their limitations. The way I looked at it, September 14, 2007 was the beginning of the rest of my life and I decided that whatever I needed to do to make sure the rest of my life was more successful than the beginning of my life I was going to do.

Good luck and go at the pace you need.

dab

I had surgery on Tues 8/28, one night in the hospital and back to work on Thurs 9/6 but couldn't complete a full 8 hrs (desk job) til 9/12. I had alot of port pain and sitting/driving was the worst! But from what I read here I was just lucky :-) Most people have minor pain after just a few days.

I was actually laid off from my job about 2 weeks prior to my surgery. However, I had originally planned on taking off a week. I was surprised that after a week, I was only just starting to get moving again. Had I had to have gone back to work, I don't think I could of handled it. And, I am a database coordinator, so all I do is sit at my desk in front of a computer all day. I guess everyone heals differently though. Your doctor knows what is best for you and I would follow his/her advice.