Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth of baby to Lap Band

<p>Hi there! I was wondering if anyone out there had the Lap Band procedure after they had a baby. </p> <p> </p> <p>I am due February 26th with our last child and want to go through the procedure within my 12 weeks that I will have off.</p> <p> </p> <p>Any recommendations or experiences well appreciated.</p> <p> </p> <p>I will be contacting the Doctor here in the next week or so to talk to them about it.</p> <p> </p> <p>Kathy</p>

I don't have any real reason to have an opinion, but I'm going to have one anyway.

You need to recover from your pregnancy then have this surgery. Getting the lapband installed is serious business and you'll be out of it for a bit. Caring for a newborn and recovering from the surgery don't seem like a logical mix.

What's your rush? Enjoy your new baby, give it a few months then pursue the band.

Just one girl's opinion.

I agree. I had one awful birth expereince and one wonderful birth expereince. But I wouldn't want to go through something as serious as a new band within the first few weeks after either one!

If you can breastfeed, it is a great way to lose weight!

Frog.

I haven't had a baby but I would agree to wait as long as possible. I was up and about really quickly but really tired for over a month. Bending and sleeping were also uncomfortable at times. Also, I had an infection and needed to take antibiotics which I imagine would not be great for breast feeding.

I doubt you'd find a surgeon to do the band that soon after giving birth, especially if you plan to breast feed. Even if you did, and even if you were self pay, the process may not move as quickly as you'd like. So, just keep your mind and options open :)

Congratz on your new baby!!! :)

i had my daughter feb 19 and am having this done on oct 4. i will let you know next week if it were something i think i could have dealt w/ right after giving birth. i had to have a c-section so there was the recovery from that as well.

I definitely second the recommendation to breastfeed! Breastfeeding has usually caused me to lose 30-40 pounds after each of my pregnancies effortlessly... even with my Band unfilled.

The biggest issue I would think of regarding surgery so soon is that you may be prohibited from lifting up your baby. Most surgeons do not want you to do any heavy lifting (and yes, an infant qualifies :)) for at least two weeks, sometimes longer. Even if you kept the Band unfilled for some time, you'd still have the lifting restriction. So, you're going to need live-in help.

To be honest, weight watchers has a really good plan for breastfeeding Moms. You could sign up for WW, and have your PCP monitor your weightloss with monthly weigh-ins, etc. Do that for six months following your 6-week post-partum check-up, and you should be set for surgery approval from your insurance company.

I really would not consider any WLS (especially if you're breastfeeding) until your baby is at least 6 months old. Exclusively breastfeeding your baby offers so many benefits (reduced risk of diabetes, obesity, built in immunity, etc.) that I really think that should take priority over WLS. But that's just my two cents. If you're determined to go ahead, then at least talk with your surgeon on when you'd be able to pick up your baby.