Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nexium, Prilosec.....Causes Kidney Disease!

To my understanding, Everyone who has weight loss surgery will be put on PPI before & after surgery.

However, they are causing severe damage to our kidneys!

With knowing this information, Will you still take them?

Me: I'm very concerned about taking PPI's....I have refused them so far but, I get my surgery date tomorrow and I know my surgeon will prescribe them to me.....not sure what do ???

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that any damage my omeprazole might be doing to my kidneys is nothing compared to the damage my obesity was doing to my joints and pretty much ALL of my major organs...

I understand your comparison Jamie...I accept alot of health issues with being overweight. But, what I won't do is be a lab rat for prescription drugs companies. I've never been a pill popper and never will be. You must take charge of your body....it will tell you what it likes and what it doesn't like(side effects). There are natural ways to heal the body....not every ailment needs a synthetic drug. I do believe in medication but I don't believe in the FDA.

I understand your comparison Jamie...I accept alot of health issues with being overweight. But, what I won't do is be a lab rat for prescription drugs companies. I've never been a pill popper and never will be. You must take charge of your body....it will tell you what it likes and what it doesn't like(side effects). There are natural ways to heal the body....not every ailment needs a synthetic drug. I do believe in medication but I don't believe in the FDA.

Yes there as so many natural ways. I always do my research and go the natural way after awhile of being post op

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just take the over-the-counter generic of omeprazole, so I don't think much of my money is going to the prescription drug companies at this point.

I did not take any PPIs before surgery and my surgeon never even brought it up. She did prescribe it post-op, so I have been taking it for 11 days now.

I would not want to be on it long-term, but my new stomach has been through a lot with surgery, so I don't think it is unreasonable to take it for a couple of months.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I did not take any PPIs before surgery and my surgeon never even brought it up. She did prescribe it post-op, so I have been taking it for 11 days now.

I would not want to be on it long-term, but my new stomach has been through a lot with surgery, so I don't think it is unreasonable to take it for a couple of months.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

Congrats on your surgery! Yes, the stomach has been traumatized and it definitely needs to heal. If my surgeon recommends them, I will consider them for short term use. I understand the benefits and the side effects. I see my surgeon tomorrow to get my date for surgery....it's been a long process but, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel....Hang in there!

To my understanding, Everyone who has weight loss surgery will be put on PPI before & after surgery.

However, they are causing severe damage to our kidneys!

With knowing this information, Will you still take them?

Me: I'm very concerned about taking PPI's....I have refused them so far but, I get my surgery date tomorrow and I know my surgeon will prescribe them to me.....not sure what do ???

My surgeon put me on one for first 30 days only. To keep acid production down as the stomach heals, after that he said only if needed.

WIthout the PPI there is a strong chance you will form an ulcer, which I've just been reading about unfortunately, and found out they could bleed out and kill you!

Make sure if you don't' take a PPI you are taking something else to control the acid. And that something needs to really work.

Acid reflux also causes esophageal cancer, pain, inability to sleep, lung infections when the acid seeps up your throat and you aspirate on it (not even joking, happened to me 2 weeks post op and almost drowned/choked to death while sleeping. not fun.) There are lots of ways for us to die on this journey, most of them due to the morbid obesity we inflicted onto our bodies to the point we ended up needing life saving surgery.

Finally, the extra acid in your new tummy ends up feeling like hunger so a lot of us were miserable, in pain and hungry until we started taking the PPI's. As long as you are understanding of all these things and make safe healthy choices, it should be fine. Just keep an eye out for all this stuff.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

WIthout the PPI there is a strong chance you will form an ulcer, which I've just been reading about unfortunately, and found out they could bleed out and kill you!
Make sure if you don't' take a PPI you are taking something else to control the acid. And that something needs to really work.
Acid reflux also causes esophageal cancer, pain, inability to sleep, lung infections when the acid seeps up your throat and you aspirate on it (not even joking, happened to me 2 weeks post op and almost drowned/choked to death while sleeping. not fun.) There are lots of ways for us to die on this journey, most of them due to the morbid obesity we inflicted onto our bodies to the point we ended up needing life saving surgery.
Finally, the extra acid in your new tummy ends up feeling like hunger so a lot of us were miserable, in pain and hungry until we started taking the PPI's. As long as you are understanding of all these things and make safe healthy choices, it should be fine. Just keep an eye out for all this stuff.

Thank you so much for you detailed suggestions. Every ounice of knowledge from a post sleever is definitely welcomed...I appreciate it!

My dr told me that it *might* be linked to Alzheimer's, which runs in my family. My nut suggested I try enteric peppermint oil with ginger. I'll give it a go. The OTC stuff is great but if the oil works, even better.