Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Seriously Need Some Advise

Here's my story. I started my lab-band journey three months ago. I've been approved, and I've had all my tests. My lap-band surgery was supposed to be Sept. 18. Well, during the tests, I found out I had gall stones. I had gall bladder surgery last week. At this point I had been on a liquid diet to perpare for the lap-band for about a week and a half. After the gall badder surgery, the doctor told my family that I should have a grastric bypass instead. He also told them that my liver was still too big and that I would have to lose more weight before I can have any surgery. I saw the diet person today to try to get help about losing weight fast. She also told me that I should have the bypass, and so did the staff at the place I weigh in. They all have said the bypass would be better for me because you have to stay on a diet for the rest of your life with a lap-band. I'm wondering if they think I am a bad dieter, and that I would not lose wieght with the band. They also keep telling me how much faster I will lose weight with the bypass. They also told me most people who have had the lap-band are not happy. Is this true? Now I'm wondering what I should do. My heart was set on the lap-band untill this week. I'm not taking this lightly. I have thought about doing something about my weight for a few years. I just want to make the right choice. From what I've seen on this website most people who have had the lap band are happy. Does anyone know where the disconnect might be between my doctors and the people on this site? Thank you for reading, and any help you can give would be great.:help::help::help:

Janet. Sorry to hear all this. Your dr has some bad information. Just look at the people on this site. I am new to the band, just 3 weeks post-op, but am very happy with it. As far as being on a diet forever with the band, he could not be any more wrong. Its a modified way of eating, just like with the bypass. I personally have 3 friends that have been banded and they are all over a year out and very happy with thier results. They go out to dinner with friends, just watch what and how much they eat and have had 0 problems. Have your dr check out this site.

Anyway, the choice is yours, not thiers.

Good luck....Dave

We hear this periodically from people who have gone to doctors who are pushing the bypass. YES, bypass folks lose faster. They are also more prone to complications, needing plastic surgery at the end of their journey (due to extreme rapid weightloss) and they also tend to gain weight back down the road, which statistically evens them out with the lapbanders who are the proverbial "tortoise" to their "hare". While the bypass folks loose all their weight and then on occasion begin to gain it back (stretching their pouch), the lapbanders are still losing at a respectable rate and according to the numbers I have seen everyone evens out about 5 years down the road. The doctor may be talking about "with the lapband you have to diet for the rest of your life" the fact that with bypass it can totally alter (for some people) your ability to have some foods (like surgars) by really rejecting them taste-wise or digestion-wise. Yes, you do have to use more thought with the band. That being said, if you are set on the band, I would get another opinion. Each doctor has their preference, and for every bypass doctor you will also find a lapband doctor who prefers this procedure.

I totally Agree with Kacee...

First, I want to say, it's wonderful that you are weighing everything very carefully and not simply jumping through the hoops your surgeon is putting out there.

With all that said. My husband was a BMI of 60 and was banded last month and is losing quickly at this point. I was a bmi of 40, banded June 1 and am doing VERY well. The first 2-3 months post op CAN be, and very often IS, extremely frustrating to the new bander. After the initial swelling goes down, the hunger kicks back in for most. The band has no saline in it and the restriction is very little to none. It took me 3.5 months to finally acheive good restriction and hit my sweet spot. Now I'm not "dieting"...now I feel full on a small amount and the fullness lasts 3-5 hours. Before hitting my sweet spot, yes it was HARD work. Now it's basically effortless, providing of course that I make wise food choices and exercise.

Remember, bypass alters your entire digestive system. It is malabsorbtive. Not only are you not absorbing calories, you are not absorbing vital Vitamins and nutrients. MANY bypass patients, and one I know personally, is suffering from sever Vitamin deficiencies and all the injections and supplements aren't cutting it for her. This is NOT the case for all bypass patients, but it is certainly something to consider.

The recovery time and hospitalization time is about double the lap-band as well.

On a vanity note. I personally love my hair and given that a large percentage of female bypass patients lose a large portion of their hair, vs a very minute amount of banders, that alone would give me pause to bypass.

In the end, the decision is yours. There have been MANY successful bypass patients...but I honestly would take stock in my surgeon if he/she is pushing a much more expensive and invasive and life altering surgery over a safer, less expensive, less invasive procedure. I'd also question a surgeon that can't get around my liver after a week and a half on a liquid diet. Perhaps this surgeon is the problem and not your decision. Just some food for thought.

Keep us posted on your decision...you'll find support here no matter which you choose.

Here's my story. I started my lab-band journey three months ago. I've been approved, and I've had all my tests. My lap-band surgery was supposed to be Sept. 18. Well, during the tests, I found out I had gall stones. I had gall bladder surgery last week. At this point I had been on a liquid diet to perpare for the lap-band for about a week and a half. After the gall badder surgery, the doctor told my family that I should have a grastric bypass instead. He also told them that my liver was still too big and that I would have to lose more weight before I can have any surgery. I saw the diet person today to try to get help about losing weight fast. She also told me that I should have the bypass, and so did the staff at the place I weigh in. They all have said the bypass would be better for me because you have to stay on a diet for the rest of your life with a lap-band. I'm wondering if they think I am a bad dieter, and that I would not lose wieght with the band. They also keep telling me how much faster I will lose weight with the bypass. They also told me most people who have had the lap-band are not happy. Is this true? Now I'm wondering what I should do. My heart was set on the lap-band untill this week. I'm not taking this lightly. I have thought about doing something about my weight for a few years. I just want to make the right choice. From what I've seen on this website most people who have had the lap band are happy. Does anyone know where the disconnect might be between my doctors and the people on this site? Thank you for reading, and any help you can give would be great.:help::help::help:

Hi Janet. I have the lap band as of Aug. 7 2007 in Toronto at the Surgical Weight Loss Centre. I love my band. To answer your questions. No, you are not on a " diet " for the rest of your life on the band. The band helps you feel fuller more quickly with far less food. Before the band I would eat an entire pizza my self and a family size bag of chips or Cookies or both in one night. Now I feel full more quickly and the band helps to remind me to make better choices at the store. I do not feel deprived or starving or doing with out. I love my band.

For me the bypass is too extreme. Not reversable and too many problems or maybe problems down the road. In mid June I had my consult, I weighed 353 pounds, I did the pre surgery Optifast diet and then I was 330 pounds at the time of my surgery on Aug. 7 Now on Sept 20 I weigh 284 pounds. I am healthy and happy. I love my band. I am an emotional eater and an extreme overeater. The band helps. I went to one of the bandsters lunchens in Toronto to talk to real people who have had the band , to see if they like it and to ask many questions. It was good to do so. The death rate of bypass is much higher than band and some people on bypass do lose a lot of weight but many put it back on. This is not such a problem for the banded people. Most keep it off. Which is the hard part.

Good luck to you, and keep searching for info.

, Bob

Thank you everyone who has replied so far. It's great to hear about people doing well with the band. Like I said in my last post, I was supposed to have the band by now, and I felt really let down that I had to go back and lose more weight. I have been sure that the band was the right choice for me. It's just really scaring me that everyone I come in contact with who has to do with this surgery is telling me to do the bypass. There was a lapband support group last week. I couldn't go because of my other surgery. The "experts" told me that everyone was very unhappy with the band because they were not losing weight. They said their was only one happy person there. I want to be one of those happy people! I am going to see my doctor this next Tuesday. It will be the first time seeing him since the gall bladder surgery. Any suggestions???

It just upsets me to no end when a doctor tries to push bypass. The lapband is not that invasive and less complications. Plus he does not have to cut and rearrange your insides. This is your body and your life. I recommend finding another doctor that will have your best interest at heart.

I have had my band since August 27th. I have lost 25 pounds and could not be happier. Consider getting a second opinion.

Hi! I had lap band syrgery the end of July 2007 and have lost 30 lbs so far, recovery was easy and am looking forward to my second fill...would never consider the gastric bypass...to envasive for me and it is for life...where as the lap band can be taken out if problems arise ....I am very happy with the surgery so far...a much slower pace loosing weight but much healthier and my hair looks great...and that was important to me...I think the gastric is a good choice if you are super morbidly obese and you are having major health problems...if you can afford to take the weight off slower...lap band is the way to go....good luck

If your doc can remove your gallbladder with the size of your liver, he can place a band. He's full of crap.

He makes more money off of bypass, bottom line. If he can remove your gallbladder given your liver but not place a band, you seriously need to find a new doc.

Did these folks also mention that within 18 months to 5 years the intestinal tissue that is bypassed during GB begins to regrow and you can once again absorb fat and calories? You will NEVER absorb nutrition normally again but you will absorb fat and calories again. Then you'll rediscover traditional diet and exercise all over because that is what you will be left with.

Check out the revisions board on OH. It isn't people going from band to bypass, it is people who had bypass that are now getting a band.

If you are unsure of the band then perhaps consider gastric sleeve, but oh my goodness, not bypass.

With ANY WLS you have to relearn normal eating patterns. It's just the way it is. I really think that with bypass the reason there is such a high failure rate is because they still eat bad foods but they just don't absorb them in the beginning. Not everyone dumps with bypass so they don't learn proper eating. We HAVE to relearn proper eating, your band doesn't typically give you huge choices on carb type foods. You are forced to cut carbs and bump up Protein. I don't consider that dieting, I consider that relearning basic eating habits. I've lost over 90lbs since December and I have relearned a great number of things. I'm not obsessed with food anymore, I don't care about carbs, I don't care about sweets, if someone told me I would have to do liquids for a month I honestly, sincerely, wouldn't care anymore because food is just no longer a priority in my life. The band forces you to learn this. It's not as optional as it is with bypass.

Bypass is extreme, you will never absorb nutrition normally again. You will be taking supplements for the rest of your life. You will never absorb Calcium, Iron, or B Vitamins normally again. Do you have ANY idea what that means long term? You'll have to take huge amounts of supplements for the rest of your life, get blood tests periodically to make sure you are taking enough massive amounts of these things so that you can absorb a small quantity of what you take. Some people are okay with that. I can't say that I am. Maybe you are.

Each person has to do what is right for them. You have to consider your options, consider your personality, consider your compliance with medical directives, and decide what will work best for you.

Good luck to you.

I agree with those above me.

WasaBB articulated very well why I would personally never consider bypass. It might be right for some, it is not right for me.

WasaBB-WOOHOO!!!! 6lbs!!!!!!

If you can find another doctor. Please.

My mom lost her first 100lbs (she was 350+) and never really lost anymore, has major stomach issues now that require her to be on 5-6 stomach medications for the rest of her life & severe malnutrition. Major hair loss that has never fully recovered. And has lost about a third her teeth now. At 40 years old she looks 60.

And she is still overweight and struggling with it.

My uncle ended up being huge (400+)despite 2-3 WLS surgerys and passed away in his 50's. And was probably 500+ when he died.

2 aunts who did a bit better, lost most of their weight but still do the diet yoyo thing 4-5 years later. But never did hit their goals.

One cousin who had it done and hasn't reached her goals yet. And over the 2 years I've known her hasn't lost or gained a whole lot. Is still at least 50lbs overweight.

It is so sad that doctors today think we all idiots and cant make our own decisions. What it all boils down to is what you want. If you have done the research and made up your mind then stick with your guns.

remind your doctor that if you have the band and it doesn't work out then you can always have a bypass. But you can't get back the organ pieces they take out.

I love my band. I am Bob in Toronto. I am 42 In mid June I weighed 353 pounds. After the pre diet of Optifast I weighed 330 on Aug. 7 my surgery day. Now on Sept. 24 I am 283 pounds. I love my band.

I am an overeater and an emotional eater. The band has helped me to make better choices. I used to drink 5 litres of pepsi each day. In one week I would eat 2 or 3 whole pizzas and several family size bags of chips or Cookies or both.

I feel better. I am healthy. My blood pressure is normal.

I am still losing weight about 3 to 4 pounds a week.

*** The best part is I know once the weight goes off, it will stay off, due to the fact that I can not over eat again once I get some fills. ***

I had mine done at the Surgical Weight Loss Centre.

I wish this had of been around twenty years ago.

I am 42, not married, no girlfriend, no children and I don't go to dances so I don't meet anyone. Like I said, I love my band.

Good luck to you,

,Bob

Wow! Thank you for your responses. I saw my doctor today, and I told him that I am going to stick with the band. I did a lot of praying, soul searching, and advise seeking this week. But in the end, I just had to go with what I feel more confortable with. It's funny, but I usually spend a lot of time on the computer reading the posts on this site. It really gives me alot of encouragement. But this week I kinda stayed away to clear my head, so I could make the choice that is right for me. The past two weeks have been really hard. I was 6 days away from getting my band, and then forced to rethink the whole thing. As you can see from my ticker, I have a lot to lose. The doctor told me that I well definitly lose 100 lbs., but the rest will take a lot of work from me. He also told me the normal weight loss if 50 - 60%. I hope I do a little better than that. Well, thanks again for responding to my plea for help. The advise I got really hepled me alot!!!

Do a google search under "medical research lap band". I read that at first, people who have gastric bypass lose weight faster. However, five years later, the lap banders have caught up with them.

Happy2B