Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych eval questions

I was scheduled for my psych eval today and I got a feeling from the scheduler that it is not an easy thing to get an approval from them. I'm converting from band to RNY or Sleeve - surgeon said it depends on what the scar tissue situation looks like.

My questions are:

1- how long did your eval last?

2- if you "failed" what were your next steps?

3- how did you prep or can you even prep for the eval?

4- what else can I expect?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was scheduled for my psych eval today and I got a feeling from the scheduler that it is not an easy thing to get an approval from them. I'm converting from band to RNY or Sleeve - surgeon said it depends on what the scar tissue situation looks like.

My questions are:

Thanks!!

Mine took about 2 hours. The 1st time I went through this process about 6 yrs ago, they didn't approve me. They stated I had a lot going on in my life and felt I wouldn't succeed. This time around, I'm in a better place.

You can't prepare for this. They are looking for feelers. How do you handle stress, what is your support system, have you ever been depressed, if so, how did you deal with it, what going on in your life currently, etc.... they are trying to determine if you will be a success or not succeed after surgery.

Just go in there, be yourself, know your weaknesses and plan of action.

Good luck! You'll do great

Loving Me

My questions are:

Thanks!!

Mine took about 2 hours. The 1st time I went through this process about 6 yrs ago, they didn't approve me. They stated I had a lot going on in my life and felt I wouldn't succeed. This time around, I'm in a better place.

You can't prepare for this. They are looking for feelers. How do you handle stress, what is your support system, have you ever been depressed, if so, how did you deal with it, what going on in your life currently, etc.... they are trying to determine if you will be a success or not succeed after surgery.

Loving Me

Thanks for replying!! I feel like *just* because I'm converting they may not approve me - for my lack of success the first time. I feel like I have a great support system and have actively learned the new aspects of the surgery and implemented them and still carry many of the old lessons and lifestyle changes I learned from when I was banded. The lady that scheduled me freaked me out.

My questions are:

Thanks!!

Loving Me

Thanks for replying!! I feel like *just* because I'm converting they may not approve me - for my lack of success the first time. I feel like I have a great support system and have actively learned the new aspects of the surgery and implemented them and still carry many of the old lessons and lifestyle changes I learned from when I was banded. The lady that scheduled me freaked me out.

Don't freak out. All that you just said, is the same thing you want to say. You learned from your 1st experience. Here is what I learned..... it's always good to be honest then not tell the full truth.

Loving Me

Wow. My Psych eval consisted of a therapist asking me questions off a pre-written questionnaire and inputting my answers into the computer. Asked me nothing very personal and it took maybe 30 mins and cost me $100.

Wow. My Psych eval consisted of a therapist asking me questions off a pre-written questionnaire and inputting my answers into the computer. Asked me nothing very personal and it took maybe 30 mins and cost me $100.

Oh wow, that sounds easy enough. I was also told that I would be getting a questionnaire in the mail that I had to fill out before I came in.

I spent 30 minutes filling out questionnaires and drawing pictures. Then he talked to me for 15 minutes max then told me he was reccomending me for the surgery. Seemed a bit rushed as there were others lined up in the waiting room.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the BariatricPal App

Ok that's new. But I hope it was painless. But $100. Yikez.

Loving Me

I didn't even have one!! I'm in Canada and our health Care is free, I got my doctor to recommend me for surgery, met with a surgeon, waited 4 years on the list and went for surgery! I had to attend a class with a group of people, about nutrition but it was all in French so I didn't understand a word!