Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of the unknown

Hi my name is Rebecca and I'm new here. I started this weight loss journey in August and now have a surgery date for January 25th. ..I am very very excited to be starting a new and healthier lifestyle but I have to admit that now that I have a date I'm actually kinda scared. If I allow myself to think about it or read articles I actually become physically ill. My anxiety reaches the point of panic attacks and it's hard for me to focus. ..I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way and if so how do you handle it? Thanks so much for listening

Becca

I'm 2 weeks po bypass. I have anxiety. Theres nothing you can do to relieve any anxiety, just have to wait til its done. They give you medicine to keep your anxiety calm if you ask for it. Til then, theres nothing to stop your anxiety now. But, I will say it was a breeze and I didn't have much pain.. I was up walking in like 3 hours after surgery. Just keep walking, push yourself to walk.. the more you burp/fart the quicker the gas pain is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It is common to experience fear and anxiety prior to surgery. At your stage, I would recommend you do three things:

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

It is common to experience fear and anxiety prior to surgery. At your stage, I would recommend you do three things:

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.

2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.

3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

Good morning and thank you for your advice. .I too have already given up my diet Pepsi habit and quit smoking back in October both were difficult considering I was trying to lose my pre op weight simultaneously but I managed to get through that. That being that good news I am just absolutely scared beyond words. ..funny because I know it's what I want. I've worked hard to get there and yet if I allow myself to think about it I truly panic. My Dr had to prescribe me anxiety meds to help me but part of my goal is to get off some of the different meds I'm already taking for other health issues. I don't want to take more. I have taken some "before" photos and you are so right I do not see that person at all!! I'm actually disgusted with who I see right now. Also walking or any form of exercise is just about impossible for me as I had two total knee replacements this year and my knee is still extremely unstable and I'm having to wear a brace and use a walker just to get around the house. ..guess maybe I'm feeling very defeated right now

Becca

My surgery date is Jan 5th, and I have moments where I feel extremely anxious about it as well. I'm sure it's very common and normal!

I have never had any kind of surgery before, so the actual surgery part scares me a lot. I'm not sure if that's what you're worried about as well, but I just try to remind myself that the doctors perform these kinds of surgeries all the time and everything will go smoothly. Just think of how amazing you will feel once the weight starts dropping! The pros will most definitely outweigh the cons in the long run. We can make it through this! :)

You're so right and I remind myself of that all the time so it helps to some extent...I have had a few surgeries but 2 major ones this past year and I flatlined twice and was in the hospital for 2 weeks so I'm thinking that may be a large part of this. ..staying positive about the end result though (just need to get there first) ????

Becca

2 major ones this past year and I flatlined twice

I can understand your fear. In my case it was such a battle with my health insurance company prior to surgery, that I just put blinders on. I charged ahead full steam and there was no time to self-reflect. The main reason why I had the surgery was because of health issues. I had RNY gastric bypass surgery over 3 years ago and the surgery corrected many of these health issues and it happened almost overnight.

Hi Rebecca,

I think fear and anxiety are normal. My surgery is today and I have to be at the hospital in 3 hours. I am so nervous all I think about is what did I sign up for. While deep down I know this will save my life. I think these are all normal feelings. Personally I did emersion therapy to help. I just kept forcing myself to read and educate myself until the panic feeling calm down. I learned to cope with those feelings.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Hi Rebecca,

I think fear and anxiety are normal. My surgery is today and I have to be at the hospital in 3 hours. I am so nervous all I think about is what did I sign up for. While deep down I know this will save my life. I think these are all normal feelings. Personally I did emersion therapy to help. I just kept forcing myself to read and educate myself until the panic feeling calm down. I learned to cope with those feelings.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

Good morning and thank you so much for your advice... I will definitely keep in my all that's been said here and keep moving forward one step at a time.. Trying to keep my eye on the end result and move through each day with a positive attitude (@elacinski01 best of luck today! I will keep you in my prayers... Please update when you're feeling up to it)

Sent from my 6045O using the BariatricPal App

I got my surgery date yesterday of Feb 9th and I've felt anxiety ever since especially since I've scared myself of complications and failure. I really want this surgery and know it's what I need but I think it's normal to have some anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is my problem too and the more i read about it and reseach it i find myself nervous and afraid and im so undecided on what to do. What i do know is that it will help me, i know i look in the mirror every day naked and ashamed and i know i struggle with losing weight on my own. One thing they say is it is a tool and it can help you but it does change your Anatomy but I think that's something I rather deal with than not being able to continue to spend time with my children

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App