Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel 2 weeks post op

Hi,

Next year is a big year for many of my friends and I- we turn 40! I just got an email about a 40th birthday celebration in Las Vegas, and so far the date is exactly 2 weeks after my VSG surgery.

Best case scenario, I will be starting on the soft solid foods at that point. What are your thoughts on this type of trip 2 weeks after the surgery? I have a pretty high pain tolerance (I've had 4 knee surgeries and lots of soccer injuries), but if I'm going to be throwing up all the time, that won't be any fun.

So... thoughts, and thanks!

I guess the first question is, are you going to tell all of your friends? At 2 weeks post-surgery, you will need to tell them because your are going to need a lot of understanding and support from them.

Some challenges I can think of that you'll need to be prepared for.....

• Someone will need to lift your luggage because you will have a 5 pound limit.
  • Whether driving or flying, you will need to get up and walk at least once an hour to prevent blood clots (increased risk for the first month after surgery).
  • You will need to carry Water with you at all times to stay hydrated because you can only sip small quantities at a time and you need to sip constantly to get in the 64 oz by the end of the day.
  • Finding Protein based food for the soft/mushy stage will be a major challenge in restaurants, and you don't want to resort to carbs.
  • You'll need to avoid alcohol.
  • You may not be in pain, but you may still be really tired and need to take naps or rest. It takes a while to get your energy back while you are healing.

All in all, you can probably make it work as long as you have supportive friends.

Good luck!

I didn't hav any pain at all. I didn't even need to take Tylenol. I did have intense reflux for two weeks but you can take something for that. Everyone is different so it's impossible to know how you will feel. You can manage the eating if you decide to go.

Thanks for the feedback so far; My friends do know about the surgery- I've not been one who's been embarrassed to tell my friends and family about it. We're all really close so I'm sure that I could find someone to carry my bag for me when it needs to be lifted!

Deeveg, those are all very good points to bear in mind. I don't need to decide right away, they will be looking at flights after Christmas or even into the new year to get the best prices, so I've got a bit of time to think. Maybe I'll just lie by the pool and drink Protein shakes!

All feedback is appreciated. :)

I was on purees at 2 weeks and that would be hard in vegas. Mushies may be too so as long as you take Protein to consume as liquid, you can get what you need. As mentioned, someone else needs to carry your luggage, no alcohol, and needing rest, it would be doable as long as your recovery goes well. I had no nausea, have not thrown up at all in 6 mths, and was off pain meds after 2 days. I love Vegas and go once or twice a year. Best part is that you would be walking a lot.

They'll be eating out nearly every meal in all likelihood. Going out for a single birthday dinner with friends where you couldn't eat what the restaurant offers is one thing, but sitting with a group of people watching them eating vacation food at every meal for several days could get downright depressing.

Then again, missing out on good times with friends is depressing too! I guess I'd think through all the various scenarios where you'll have to do something different than everyone else and decide whether all those compromises are acceptable and whether you'll feel it would be worth it to go. It very well may be.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

There is no way I would have been able to walk that much, watch people eat, or even stand the smells in a restaurant that early out. I was hardly getting any calories in. I was weak and shaky. I got tired and napped almost every afternoon. It wasn't about pain, I was never really in pain. It took me HOURS to get a Protein shake down at that stage, I would have to drink a little, put it back in the fridge (it's even more gross when it isn't cold) and try again in a little bit.

But, most people seem to feel like they never even had surgery a couple of weeks out so you will probably be fine.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the thoughtful insight.

@CherCare- in normal circumstances it wouldn't be an issue to postpone, however this is a surprise trip for one of my friends birthdays that her husband is organizing, so pushing it back probably won't happen.

Oh... and I feel like an absolute idiot but I just realized... we don't turn 40 this year. Geez Louise. Apparently my mind is going already? Hahaha!

2 weeks out there was no way I could have traveled. I was sleeved on March 1, 2016 and up until a few weeks ago at 9 months out, I was still puking my guts out. Nearly. Every. Day. When I would travel for a weekend I made sure to take things with me that were "friendly." Greek yogurt and Jello have been the two things that consistently stay down.

Best of luck to you on your birthday adventure, and do use your friends for support, whatever that might entail.

Sent from my iPhone

@@KristinJ78 That kindof sounds awful! You poor thing!

@bodyslmmn@Lady DT - The surgeon said it's fine to go, the flight is just over 2 hours, but thanks for looking out for me!

I think it'll be fine. I'm a flight attendant and I plan on going back to work after week 3 -Jan 29th, (or that's the plan ) But I suppose only your doctor can say for sure...

But I'll let you know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think it'll be fine. I'm a flight attendant and I plan on going back to work after week 3 -Jan 29th, (or that's the plan ) But I suppose only your doctor can say for sure...

But I'll let you know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Odd question but I've wanted to put my app in for a flight attendant, however I was told that 1) being larger, I wouldn't get past the interview, and 2) because I have visible tattoos (though tasteful), I didn't have a chance either.

Best of luck on your surgery and recovery!

Sent from my iPhone