Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie story & vitamin question

Hi everyone! I had Gastric Bypass on December 16th and surgeons said it was textbook perfect. However 36 hours later my heart went into atrial flutters (184 HB) so I was moved to the cardiac post op floors for a few days observations. This was the first time I had ever had any heart issues. I'm home now and will wear a heart monitor for 30 days to see if this was just a random occurrence or an undiagnosed issue.

Did Clear liquids for 4 days, haven't felt hungry at all but I made myself eat a couple of ounces eat meal. In the hospital I kept forgetting to sip Water in between meals.....don't forget your water! This week is full liquids and I got to add strained cream Soup. I never thought that cream of chicken soup would seem like feast.

A little overwhelmed with the huge amount of post surgery meds, my normal meds and Vitamins I have to take. The chewable Multivitamin and calcium citrate from NutrionDirect are horrible! Does anyone crush & mix them with anything?

Looking forward to walking the journey with my everyone!

Highest Weight: 300.6

Pre Surgery Weight: 282

Current Weight: Stay Tuned

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I take Centrum chewables (or the generic equivalent like CVS's) and they're fine. For Calcium, I mix Upcal D (a powder) into my morning yogurt. Later in the day I usually have a couple of Bariatric Advantage calcium chews which are pretty good (they come in several flavors) - or occasionally I'll have a Calcet Creamy Bite - also very good but 40 calories each, so they're just an occasional treat.

After surgery I discovered that I could no longer swallow large pills. And the calcium citrate (Citracal) were like horse pills. I crushed these into a fine powder. I put this powder into a glass of Crystal Light drink and tried to chug it down. Often this cause a paste to form at the bottom of the cup. So I added more Crystal Light, stirred it up again and chugged it down. After 3 or 4 times I was good to go.

Fortunately this condition, the ability to swallow, goes away. It took me a couple months before I was able to swallow again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches