Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Week 5 - I Tried to Increase Calories

Hello Everyone :)

I am 5 weeks post op. I'm on the soft food stage. This morning I had some scrambled eggs, and I decided to try and eat a little more than I usually do. That was a big mistake. I thought "I am getting a little full", and two bites later, that went to "I think I ate too much". The next thing I know, I had to run to the bathroom and I lost my Breakfast.

I have been stalling quite a bit since week 3 with my weight. I thought that if I could try and increase my calories a bit, then hopefully it would help give my metabolism the push that it needed to where perhaps I could lose a little more weight. I am currently getting in between 475-550 calories a day.

My thoughts on this are that I need to just continue on the way I've been doing things, even if it means that I'm not going to lose much weight for awhile. I would like to hear others thoughts and experiences with this. Thanks for sharing!

HW 334

Pre-Op diet weight 312

Surgery Day weight 300

CW 277

It's up to you whether or not you want to increase your calories, but if you do, you have to add another meal/snack, not eat more at one sitting :) That's definitely part of the learning curve, and when I hit 'done', not one more morsel can enter my mouth.

It's up to you whether or not you want to increase your calories, but if you do, you have to add another meal/snack, not eat more at one sitting :) That's definitely part of the learning curve, and when I hit 'done', not one more morsel can enter my mouth.

Yes, I sure found that out this morning. Not "one more morsel". I don't think I have room or even the appetite for adding another meal or snack, so I will accept the fact that I will stall and that I might not lost much weight until I get further down the road.

I have suffered the same with vomiting, try having poached eggs as they are easier to digest than scrambled eggs.< /p>

Sent from my HTC 10 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for the suggestion. I just realized that today was the first morning that I had tried any type of egg other than "Egg Beaters". I just might try having a poached egg next time. Although, I think I got sick due to pushing myself too far... those two tiny extra bites seemed to have pushed me over the edge.

I have suffered the same with vomiting, try having poached eggs as they are easier to digest than scrambled eggs.< /p>

Great suggestion, @@adriant, and definitely true for me as well. At 6 mos out, poached is the only way my stomach tolerates eggs. I couldn't even eat them for the first 3 months.

Yes, I sure found that out this morning. Not "one more morsel". I don't think I have room or even the appetite for adding another meal or snack, so I will accept the fact that I will stall and that I might not lost much weight until I get further down the road.

It's really pretty important to get yourself to at least 600 calories/day, even if it's tedious. Are you adding Protein to your liquids or drinking shakes still? A 30 gram scoop of Protein powder added to a soft food like refried Beans will get you approximately 25g Protein and another 110 calories, as well as the protein and calories already in the Beans. Using powder to supplement was the only way I could get everything I needed for months, and I still have it every morning in my coffee, even though I'm getting most of my requirements met through foods. Just something to consider...you won't lose weight reliably with the number of calories you're eating.

I start my day with a Protein shake made with Fairlife milk. I get 28 grams of Protein to kick start my daily needs-13 from the milk and 15 from the powder. I'm always searching for ways to increase my protein without adding too many calories. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's really pretty important to get yourself to at least 600 calories/day, even if it's tedious. Are you adding Protein to your liquids or drinking shakes still? A 30 gram scoop of Protein Powder added to a soft food like refried Beans will get you approximately 25g Protein and another 110 calories, as well as the protein and calories already in the Beans. Using powder to supplement was the only way I could get everything I needed for months, and I still have it every morning in my coffee, even though I'm getting most of my requirements met through foods. Just something to consider...you won't lose weight reliably with the number of calories you're eating.

Yes, I am still drinking the Premier Protein Shakes. I have 3 regular meals with either yogurt, cottage cheese or eggs for Breakfast. Then usually chicken for lunch and dinner, although I recently made the ricotta bake and have been eating some of it too. For my morning, afternoon and night-time Snacks, I drink the Protein Shakes. I am getting well over 70 grams of protein a day.

Thank you for the suggestion to add some protein powder to my food. I have 2 containers of powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury protein powder, and I used it quite a bit during the full liquid and pureed stages. It is a great idea to add it to some of the foods and I can add it to some of my drinks too, and I haven't been doing that. That will help me bulk up on the calories a bit.

This just happened to me this morning only I didn't vomit but I am def uncomfortably full :( I have been doing well with scrambled egg and I added two thin slices of deli ham. So full :(

thank you for this info. I had a hard time digesting scrambled eggs and was miserable after eating them. I can eat deviled eggs just fine so I think its the texture of scrambled which used to be my favorite type of egg.

This just happened to me this morning only I didn't vomit but I am def uncomfortably full :( I have been doing well with scrambled egg and I added two thin slices of deli ham. So full :(

Im at 2 oz. of food no matter what type it is. I can drink 3 oz but not one more sip. I'm resolved to these amounts until such time as my body tells me it's ok to take another bite. I'm three weeks post op now and feeling great.

UPDATE:

Yesterday I added my powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein to my Decaf iced tea. Two tablespoons added to one glass of tea. I was able to finally get my calories to above 600 for the day. Prior to this, I couldn't get my calories out of the 500 calories a day range.

I have been stalled for the last week. Just out of curiosity, I decided to weigh myself. I finally moved the scale and lost 2 pounds. I can't help but think that I lost the weight because of boosting my metabolism by adding more calories (thanks to the Unjury protein).

There was just no way I could add anymore snacks/little meals to my diet at this point. I think the Protein addition into my diet was the answer! Feeling good today. :)

Edited by mylighthouse

@@mylighthouse Yay! Glad to hear the scale is moving again for you :)

Thank you. And I'm really grateful for the great suggestion from you. In fact, I had my Decaf coffee this morning and added a tablespoon of the unjury to it... just to get in those calories. Tasted great too, couldn't even tell the Protein powder was in the coffee.< /p>

I have my meals all planned out today, as usual. Plus I've added in my Unjury.... and if all goes as planned, I will get around 700 calories today for the first time since my surgery on Nov 14. Thanks again!