Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have you had a leak in your port/tubing and had to have it replaced?

Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a leak in your port or tubing?

• Yes, I had my port/tubing replaced.
    • Yes, I have not had the leak fixed though.
    • No, I haven't has any problems like that!
    • Port? Tubing? What the heck is that??

adorKable...feeling your pain (I've had a leak since July!!!)
Ugh. That is a long time!!! ((hugs)) Are you getting a repair??? Do you know where the leak is?

I pretty much have never had restriction. I have had a long road with the acid reflux DX and then the gallbladder, so I am not sure if I am first realizing the leak now only because I can finally focus on the band. ?? Dr wants to repair the port... but I think I want to have a dye study done first to make sure it is the port. ???

I'm sure my leak is at the port. I went in to get an unfill, gagging on my own spit. He backed off my fill from 3.3 to 2.8. When I left the office I guzzled a water bottle on my way to the car. I haven't felt restriction since then (exept for 1 day after my fill...therefore I know the leak is slow). I'm sure he punctured my port at the unfill...it's the logic answer. I've been in 4 times to be filled and each time the band is empty. I'm loosing my battle with "white knuckle dieting", which at this point is no diet at all...I feel so defeated, and just like with every other diet I've ever been on, this is where I fail. I'm confident that a new port will get me "back on the wagon"Sue

I'm sure my leak is at the port. I went in to get an unfill, gagging on my own spit. He backed off my fill from 3.3 to 2.8. When I left the office I guzzled a Water bottle on my way to the car. I haven't felt restriction since then (exept for 1 day after my fill...therefore I know the leak is slow). I'm sure he punctured my port at the unfill...it's the logic answer. I've been in 4 times to be filled and each time the band is empty. I'm loosing my battle with "white knuckle dieting", which at this point is no diet at all...I feel so defeated, and just like with every other diet I've ever been on, this is where I fail. I'm confident that a new port will get me "back on the wagon"Sue
Ironic. I am pretty sure my unfill is where my problems started also. I went in with 5cc's from a different Dr who did my fills under fluoro. New Dr gave me 2cc's for a total of 7cc in a 10cc band. I left and found out I couldn't swallow water. returned to have him take out just a smidge and could gulp water right away after. Have never felt restriction to any extent since.

I have lost my battle with dieting. I was down to 299 right before my gallbladder surgery which was in August. I am back up to 309 as of today's office visit.

I really hope a new port is the answer, but am afraid of having it damaged again? Maybe if I had reached some level of restriction before and knew what it felt like... it would be so easy to say yes yes fix me... but I am just so depressed about it all right now. I feel like the whole surgery was a mistake.

Hang in there. It will work! I remember the 1st 6 monthes, wondering when the "Help" would come, knowing the "white knuckle diet" is short lived. You will be amazed when you finally get to that sweet spot, it really does work. I've had a few glitches, not nearly what you've seen, but I don't regret it for a minute and I can't wait to get my band back! Sue

ANYONE WHO "MIGHT" HAVE A LEAK... I was banded May of this year. After numerous problems with my band losing Fluid for magical reasons my Dr. drops this bomb on me Monday -- and boy am I glad I had a witness with me!!

The company that makes the bands (the ones all docs at St. Francis in Fed. Way WA use) recently changed the basic design - sometime early this year. Well, apparently the new model of band requires the needle to be left in the port for an extended period of time - a minute or so lets say - after the fill and then firm direct pressure must be put over the insert point of the port for a minute or longer to allow the port to reseal to prevent fluid from leaking out.

Many people I've met that have been banded this year have been having the same problem of a "leak" without an actual leak -- soooo the Dr's started doing some in-office experiments -- discovered the oozing from the port post-fill and contacted the band company. The manufacturer says no foul & will do nothing.

The kicker...they are still putting those bands in people. So -- I don't need to pay to replace my port..yet.. but so far 50% of my fills have almost completely emptied by band... and yes.. I'm a cash pay.

Just thought everyone might like to know so they can check with their own Docs to see if this might apply to them

Hang in there. It will work! I remember the 1st 6 monthes, wondering when the "Help" would come, knowing the "white knuckle diet" is short lived. You will be amazed when you finally get to that sweet spot, it really does work. I've had a few glitches, not nearly what you've seen, but I don't regret it for a minute and I can't wait to get my band back! Sue

Thanks. I scheduled my replacement surgery for next week. I hope this works. Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you can get yours fixed soon and back to your happy place. At least I haven't gotten there only to have it taken away. I still don't know what that feels like. KWIM. So in a way that is kind of a good thing.

Hello - I also have this "slow" leak!! I was banded May 27th at St Francis in Federal Way. I had my fluoroscopy last Wednesday. My band will only maintain 2-2.5cc's. First fill I received 3.5cc. Second fill I dropped to 2cc's, filled to 4cc's. Third fill I dropped to 2.5cc's, filled to 5cc's. A week later at the fluoroscopy, I had dropped to 2.5cc's again. Lucky for me, I worked out of state this summer and have only had 3 fills so far. What the Hell is going on with our bands!!! Is this only happening at this hospital..? Under this group of doctors..? Please, is there anyone else out there having similar problems?? Is this normal? Should I be filled to 10cc's? Maybe it's a pressure issue? I'm so new at this - I have no idea what to do... but go crazy!!! :)

Thank you!!

Hi Seattlelight --

No, this isn't normal, and no, you're not alone. Please keep us posted on your situation. Do you know for sure where you leak is at or coming from? I hope it's an easy fix for you... Feel free to email me anytime, I've been in this spot for over 8 months now, NOTHING in my band, leak ON the band... Anyways, hang in there! :laugh:

Dear Sue11;

I feel for you girl... I had the same situation a year ago...

Banded July 07, fills routinely done Sep, Oct and then in Nov 07 they must have "double stuck" me because within 2 days of the last fill.... nothing!!! I could eat a Mac Truck@!

Then it was 3 months of flurofills (they only do them once per month) until I PROVED to them that I DID have a leak. Got my re-surgery in Mar08... and Doc put 5 cc's(in a 10 cc band) in at time of resurgery... now up to 7 cc's and have good restriction.

This process is very frustrating... so hang in there... you're weight loss has been fantastic...

Peaches9...

Did you just have the port replaced? Where you self pay? Did you have to pay for the replacement? Did you have local or did they put you out?

Sorry for the long list of questions...just trying to gather as much information as I can before I meet with my doc on Friday.

Sue

H E L P ! ! ! An incidental finding today on my abdominal ct for appendicitis---- my band tubing is fractured in the middle!!! What happens now?!

What band? ??

I am so freaked after reading this link. I have an Inamed that is 10 cm and 4.0 ccs. My first fill was 2.0 and 5 days later I went to Pac Surgical for a 2nd fill and only 1.6cc was left. She then put me to 2.6 - no restriction on fluoro and then shot me up to 3.6 cc - which apparently is unheard of. I had great restriction for two weeks and now it has been tapering off again. I have thought about heading back in there to check it out again.

Please tell me what brand of Band are you referring to?

I have the inamed lapband, 4cc band. Went to my doc and he says he's never see a leak develope from the acutal band. Most are right at the port. He's going to attempt one more fill (using the preasure method that AnnV described above) as one last ditch effort to avoid another surgery. I'm not too hopeful...I'm sure I'll be having my port replaced...and soon I hope. The holidays are kicking my but, I don't have much in clothes to wear (Igot rid of my clothes as I "out shrunk" them).

First off I have to say that I can't believe I just sat here and read 10 pages of posts regarding leaking and or complications. I am sorry for everyone who has had to deal with complications (some worse than others)

So here is my story and dilemma....

I got banded on August 20th, I have lost 37lbs and am thrilled. I have gone for 4 fills so far. For some reason I see the PA and not the doctor for my fills. On my 3rd fill the PA had to poke me more then onc (prior had always gotten in on 1 shot) and had a hard time getting my port. She told me that my port was "wobbly". After a few minutes of playing around she "got in" I was already up to 4.5cc's in a 10cc band. I was feeling good restriction but wanted just a little bit more. She filled me .5cc's so now I am supposed to be at 5 total. She says I have 5cc's in my band and 1cc in the tubing (whatever that means) Immediately that night I feel ZERO restriction while eating. This was so strange since I had been feeling quite a bit of restriction (even getting some things stuck for a min or so) I knew right away something was wrong. I waited 3 days still feeling no restriction- I finally called. She (the PA) told me to come back in so she can see whats going on. This time she poked me yet again more then once and finally "got in" again. She removed less then 3cc's of liquid. She told me that she might have "missed" the port at the last fill and apologized. She put me back up to 5cc's. Again that night I feel ZERO restriction.....WTF??? So in the meantime Thanksgiving comes, office is closed and now I have to wait until tomorrow (Monday 12/1) to call. I know I have a leak, and after reading 10 pages of posts I realize that it either happened the first time she poked me a million times, OR that it was leaking before then and we just happened to notice it around that time. So I am waiting to call the office first thing tomorrow. My question is, do you guys think I should make another appointment with the PA or should I demand to see the Dr?? I asked her if I had a leak what they would do. She told me they sometimes do the fluroscope with the dye to see the leak BUT that since the dye is thicker then the saline alot of times all it does is plug the leak (if there is one) and sometimes you can't see it leak anyway SO most likely they would skip that step all together and just replace the port. I am confused because how will they know if it is my port of my tubing or my band that is leaking???? UGH this is so friggen frustrating! I was having such success with it, until she went and punctured my port ( I JUST KNOW IT) She (the PA) also told me that she thought the revision surgery was covered by my insurance- I have a feeling this is NOT the case. BUT if it is not covered then I feel like the office should cover it, if it was in fact her fault for punturing it to begin with. They always do a "blind fill" and I hear the risk of puncturing it is much higher this way. I am frustrated, nervous and angry. I just thought I would vent to the best people out there- people who have been through this crap too!!! Thanks for listening to be babble!! :-)