Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op and screwed up bad...

So as well.all know today was thanksgiving and boy was it a challenge. I had my proceedure on the 18th (6 days ago) and was advised to be on Clear liquids till the 29th. I tried my best but could not shake the feeling of hunger. My husband gave me a chocolate pudding cup and that helped. But as people with food addictions know all too well, that opened a big wide door. I infused my chicken broth with salsa, allowed myself to eat very small bits of chicken, then ate about 1.5tbs of coleslaw, 2 tbs of stuffing, 2 tbs of garlic bread, 1tbs applesauce and 2tbs of pumpkin pie-no crust. Now, this was not all in one sitting but throughout the day. I feel like scum. So discouraged and disappointed in myself. Physically I feel stuffed. I can breathe and expand my diaphragm fully but I'm uncomfortable for sure. Still trying to get my liquids in though. I don't really know what I'm asking for but perhaps that I'm going to be okay and that this happens? Maybe a scolding? I don't really know but I'd love to hear from anyone..........

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

More than the guilt and shame you're feeling, it's dangerous to be eating solids right now (no matter how well chewed they might be) when you're supposed to be sticking to liquids. You have stitches on the inside, everything is still swollen, stuff can get stuck, etc. It sounds like that's not going to happen to you, which is good, but we're all entering holiday food season -- once you get to puréed foods and then solids, it would be wise for you to stock up on the things you can eat so you're better prepared. Yogurt, Jello, lentil Soup, bean Soup, etc. Give the program you're on a chance to work.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Your diet plan isn't just a diet. It's a prescription. If you can't follow surgeons orders and get some self control, then how do you expect the major surgery you just had to be a success if you crack a week in?

Yep. You screwed up. Hopefully you didn't cause damage to your healing stomach. I hope the food was worth risking your life.

its so dangerous and not worth it to eat during this time. I hope your sleeve is still intact and that all is well with you. Update us on how you feel.

I just wanna add that I can understand the opening the door to something else, part though. As an food addict you never should put yourself in a position where you can't stop or will fail. One cheat always leads to another. Good luck.

Yes you did. Now moving forwards, stick to the plan, it is not a reecommendation, it is a recovery plan post major surgery. I know you can do it.

Yes you did. Now moving forwards, stick to the plan, it is not a reecommendation, it is a recovery plan post major surgery. I know you can do it.

Thank you for the only words of encouragement I've received. I've been up worried all night worried.

its so dangerous and not worth it to eat during this time. I hope your sleeve is still intact and that all is well with you. Update us on how you feel.

I just wanna add that I can understand the opening the door to something else, part though. As an food addict you never should put yourself in a position where you can't stop or will fail. One cheat always leads to another. Good luck.

Thanks for the luck.

More than the guilt and shame you're feeling, it's dangerous to be eating solids right now (no matter how well chewed they might be) when you're supposed to be sticking to liquids. You have stitches on the inside, everything is still swollen, stuff can get stuck, etc. It sounds like that's not going to happen to you, which is good, but we're all entering holiday food season -- once you get to puréed foods and then solids, it would be wise for you to stock up on the things you can eat so you're better prepared. Yogurt, Jello, lentil Soup, bean soup, etc. Give the program you're on a chance to work.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I really hope it doesn't. I know I'll be fine once I can eat full liquids. And stock up on the types of things you've mentioned.

I can't believe you were able to eat that much! I'm not scolding you, just surprised.

You obviously know this was a huge screw up so us telling you that isn't going to accomplish anything. I'd be carefully watching for symptoms that you did any damage. Make sure you tell your surgeon and your post op appt even if nothing bad happens.

The first week is super hard, it sucks. It is SO important to stick to your recovery plan. No one can force you to stick with it in the future but just realize the HUGE risk you are taking by advancing your food plan several stages this early on. I was sleeved 10/11 and was not approved for solids until this week. Even though I was dyyyying to eat and tolerated everything I knew I had to tough it out. Don't put your health on the line. The diet advancement stages seem like forever when you're in them but you must follow instructions and suffer through it.

and PS, get ready for several more weeks of feeling deprived. Each stage gets a little easier but but I don't think any of us breezed through them all without feeling hungry or being tempted. You must mentally prepare that the next 6 weeks are just going to be tough.

Yes, I'm so aware. I could hardly sleep lastnight. I just kept imagining that I would get really sick and possibly die. I have no idea what symptoms to look out for. Could u share some with me? The next thought that kept me up is exactly what u said.....I have no idea how I fit that much in there. The true severity of my food addiction finally showed it's face and that made me worrisome about my future success. Those table spoons of food I mentioned where estimates so I could have over estimated but at this point I don't care how much it was. I wasn't supposed to eat it at all. I must say I feel okay, just as I've been feeling. I haven't had a BM yet but I do feel well. I'm terrified to tell my surgeon. He's very very Stern-as he should be but he's going to scold me so badly and I'll probably cry. I want to just continue like.nothing happened and just never mess up again. I don't want him to know. At the same time I do want him to know. I know I won't make this mistake again, the paranoia and guilt is worse than anything I've ever felt before.

Edited by MTWilliams

Yes, I'm so aware. I could hardly sleep lastnight. I just kept imagining that I would get really sick and possibly die. I have no idea what symptoms to look out for. Could u share some with me? The next thought that kept me up is exactly what u said.....I have no idea how I fit that much in there. The true severity of my food addiction finally showed it's face and that made me worrisome about my future success. Those table spoons of food I mentioned where estimates so I could have over estimated but at this point I don't care how much it was. I wasn't supposed to eat it at all. I must say I feel okay, just as I've been feeling. I haven't had a BM yet but I do feel well. I'm terrified to tell my surgeon. He's very very Stern-as he should be but he's going to scold me so badly and I'll probably cry. I want to just continue like.nothing happened and just never mess up again. I don't want him to know. At the same time I do want him to know. I know I won't make this mistake again, the paranoia and guilt is worse than anything I've ever felt before.

Just watch for anything abnormal I'd say. If you get stomach pain/fever that can indicate a staple line leak which is serious and you definitely should call your surgeon and tell him the entire story.

If this was last night the food has likely already cleared your system and it seems like you got lucky and didn't cause any serious damage but closely monitor for any new symptoms!

Please go easy, I am also going through the wars and pains at week 3. It's so dangerous to start on solids to soon, it can cause you new tummy to leak into your cavity and that can give you major issues. I have just started on puree foods and it's very hard with the vomiting, so I lessened the about to around 150mls and that I seem to tolerate, please be careful.

Sent from my HTC 10 using the BariatricPal App

Just watch for anything abnormal I'd say. If you get stomach pain/fever that can indicate a staple line leak which is serious and you definitely should call your surgeon and tell him the entire story.

If this was last night the food has likely already cleared your system and it seems like you got lucky and didn't cause any serious damage but closely monitor for any new symptoms!

I do feel fine. Just waiting for my BM to be totally in the clear. Thank you for the care and support. I just had some prune juice and it made me nauseous but I'm gonna count that as normal since I hate it. Also im assuminh that hopefully the nausea means that it's working and moving stuff around in my tract, godwilling.

Please go easy, I am also going through the wars and pains at week 3. It's so dangerous to start on solids to soon, it can cause you new tummy to leak into your cavity and that can give you major issues. I have just started on puree foods and it's very hard with the vomiting, so I lessened the about to around 150mls and that I seem to tolerate, please be careful.

Sent from my HTC 10 using the BariatricPal App

I am.absolutly going to be taking it easy from now on. Thank you for the words of support.