Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jitters, in need of positive words

My surgery is Friday morning, Nov 25th and I feel like I am on the verge of a panic attack. For whatever reason my fear is to not wake up and it doesn't help when you hear comments like "are you even big enough?" I know they don't understand my struggles with PCOS, my BMI being 41.2 or my pre-hypertension. Part of me is just like why can't I lose weight like a normal person.

This fear may be due to the fact that I have never had surgery. Also, my support group is limited. So I really need to read something positive.

I was super freaked out, too! In fact, I thought about turning the car around the day of my surgery... I am SO glad I didn't.

Let the naysayers say their nay, only you know what you need to do to get through your weight loss struggles. I had many people tell me it was going to be so bad, it's not natural, you'll starve.

I'm not starving, it's just as natural as them being able to stop eating before over eating, and I am adjusting to my new lifestyle.

I had surgery in August and am down 77 pounds from my highest weight... I had lost 18 before surgery. My knee pain is almost gone, I walk so much faster, I'm not short of breath when walking. My old clothes fit, my spirit is up, my depression is better. People are noticing the weight loss, my reflection in the mirror surprises me and I am so glad I saw it through!

Don't get me wrong, it's not all rainbows and butterflies and there are low points, but it is worth it to regain your health! You got this!

Oh, and one last thing- I was tearful the morning of my surgery and they offered me meds for it. This was a good thing, say yes!

I've had a few surgeries....this was the easiest one I've ever recovered from. I really could have driven home the next morning if it were legal. I was working from my laptop in bed right away and was stir crazy and wanted to go shopping or do something just a couple days after being home. My belly was a little sore, but honestly felt better to move around than lay around. Easy Peasy....keep your eye on the prize!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hazel_eyez you will be fine. You made this choice because only you have to live with the health issues that you are facing. You know what's best for you. Don't second guess your decision. This was one of the reasons why I didn't tell many about getting the surgery. I did not want to hear anything negative. Remember why you are doing this. You are doing this to better your health. The vsg surgery was my second surgery I ever had. The first one was on my right shoulder. I had the same fears but everything went smoothly and I woke up. Believe me when the anesthesia Doc gives you a little mixture before going in for surgery it will relax you and take away your anxiety. I told myself I just can't give up now because I've come too far from where I started from. So I say the same to you. You just can't give up now, you've come to far from where you started from. I had surgery on Nov 1st.

Edited by carterbeauty83

Just sleeved yesterday, and honestly got to say , I worked myself up way too much before hand. I cheated 3x on my preop diet-liver was fine. Was worried about pain- pain meds are working fine. Worried about gas pain-had none so far. That's not to say it's a walk in the park, but it's not as bad as I thought.

I too am on the "smaller" side of obesity but I am tired all the time, have fibromyalgia and was pre- diatbetic. I started to hate myself and lost most of my friends because of it. I'd say that is reason enough to get healthy my whatever means available. Best wishes to you

Just sleeved yesterday, and honestly got to say , I worked myself up way too much before hand. I cheated 3x on my preop diet-liver was fine. Was worried about pain- pain meds are working fine. Worried about gas pain-had none so far. That's not to say it's a walk in the park, but it's not as bad as I thought.

I too am on the "smaller" side of obesity but I am tired all the time, have fibromyalgia and was pre- diatbetic. I started to hate myself and lost most of my friends because of it. I'd say that is reason enough to get healthy my whatever means available. Best wishes to you

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the positive words. I know I will probably be back in my head again about this surgery, but rereading your post will help.

KCBO- I worried about the liver diet too. I don't think I cheated but the directionso they gave me seem way too liberal. But I read somewhere that if you are losing weight then your liver is shrinking, and I am losing about a pound a day. Thank you again and congrats! I am glad to know you are in good spirits!

Edited by Hazel_eyez

Try not to worry...you are going to be fine! My bmi at surgery was right at 40 and I think it made my recovery easier. I am so happy with the decision I made. 16 lbs down since surgery (10/25) and 33 down from starting the whole process. It will be over before you know it. You have come too far and jumped too many hoops to back out now :)

Sent from my iPhone

good luck for your surgery let us know how you are doing?

I barely qualified with a BMI of 41 and no other issues. So many were shocked because I carried my weight well and they couldn't believe I was heavy enough to even consider this.

My extended relation was the worse. One, who is also overweight, told me it wasn't worth it because everyone she knew that went through it gained their weight back.

I didn't let this deter me. I last 68 lbs pre-surgery. I knew I was ready for this. Yet, the week of surgery I was second guessing everything! And I have had several surgeries, as recent as 4 months prior to my VSG.

My NUT told me if I wasn't a little scared she would be worried about me. She said her most successful patients are those that are scared.

Good luck today! This will become your new birthday because you are making the brave decision to start you new life! It will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I barely qualified with a BMI of 41 and no other issues. So many were shocked because I carried my weight well and they couldn't believe I was heavy enough to even consider this.

My extended relation was the worse. One, who is also overweight, told me it wasn't worth it because everyone she knew that went through it gained their weight back.

I didn't let this deter me. I last 68 lbs pre-surgery. I knew I was ready for this. Yet, the week of surgery I was second guessing everything! And I have had several surgeries, as recent as 4 months prior to my VSG.

My NUT told me if I wasn't a little scared she would be worried about me. She said her most successful patients are those that are scared.

Good luck today! This will become your new birthday because you are making the brave decision to start you new life! It will be worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Omg, thank you GrandmaBee. Thank you for being encouraging. I can go back to sleep because I am anxious, but I think my nerves are starting to settle. It has really help reading you guys positive post and looking at the before & after pics. So, I am going to choose to remain positive! ❤

You'll be fine. The surgery is a breeze. The recovery was very challenging for me but I made it through fine. You'll be fine too especially because you're not as large as the rest of us. Goodluck friend.

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

Thank you again everyone for helping me keep my fear in check. If I didn't they wouldn't have done the surgery. One guy was freaking out saying he doesn't want to die and didn't want to stay. They told him it was okay but they won't do the surgery if he keeps saying that. I am now 1 day post op and although yesterday sucked, I haven't regretted it yet.