Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Low Carbing for Pre-Op Diet?

It looks like everyone is on a liquid diet for pre-op? Is your liquid diet low carb? My Dr prescribed a low carb (solid food) diet - 30grams of carbs per day. Surgery is on December 1st and I've been on PreOp diet for a week and lost an incredible 12.5lbs in that amount of time.

I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the same thing? I assume this next week won't be as much weight loss?

TIA

-kelly

I was on a "might as well be all liquid" diet pre-op. I was allowed a small bit of meat and a very few carbs for dinner each night. I lost 15 lbs in the two weeks I was on it. The week after surgery, I lost 18 lbs, but I think part of that was spare parts that were removed. ;-) I have slowed down a little, but am still doing about 5 lbs a week right now.

It looks like everyone is on a liquid diet for pre-op? Is your liquid diet low carb? My Dr prescribed a low carb (solid food) diet - 30grams of carbs per day. Surgery is on December 1st and I've been on PreOp diet for a week and lost an incredible 12.5lbs in that amount of time.

I'm wondering if anyone else is doing the same thing? I assume this next week won't be as much weight loss?

TIA

-kelly

My preop was for 2 weeks and it was 2-3 Protein shakes a day( I did priemer protein) ended up only drinking 2 and 1 meal a day 4 oz lean Protein and 1/2 cup non startch veggies. Lost 15 pounds

Sent from my LGMS631 using the BariatricPal App

To be honest I was supposed to be on a 2 week all liquid diet pre op...but didn't follow it much. I worked at a fast pace restaurant and sticking strictly to the diet would have resulted in me have a throbbing headache mid shift and most likely passing out. So I modified it to what I know most people are allowed to do. I'd have one premier Protein shake for Breakfast and have a no carb, high Protein lunch and dinner. In between if I got hungry I'd drink broth, and of course tons of Water. I ended up losing 12 pounds in that amount of time.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I am doing the liver shrinking diet ! It's low carb high Protein. We share the same surgery date !!! It seems to be melting off which is a great motivation but boy do I want a piece of pizza!!! Not honestly hungry just missing the chewing sensations ...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am doing the liver shrinking diet ! It's low carb high Protein. We share the same surgery date !!! It seems to be melting off which is a great motivation but boy do I want a piece of pizza!!! Not honestly hungry just missing the chewing sensations ...

Yes, it's for liver shrinking. My doc stressed the importance of shrinking my liver. If it's too big, he'll just close me up without the procedure, so I'm being pretty strict. Not happy about the scare tactic but I guess it's working.

I did low carb/high protein/high healthy fat for the duration of my six-month, insurance-required pre-op diet program. I lost 99 pounds by the day of surgery. I have followed the same thing post-op throughout the food stages and have lost another 37 pounds since the surgery on September 28.

I did low carb/high protein/high healthy fat for the duration of my six-month, insurance-required pre-op diet program. I lost 99 pounds by the day of surgery. I have followed the same thing post-op throughout the food stages and have lost another 37 pounds since the surgery on September 28.

Wow! That's awesome! So how many carbs per day? I'm doing 30g carbs - 100g Protein and healthy fat too. Doc said I'm not doing Atkins so I don't get to eat a bunch of unhealthy saturated fat.

I'm on liquid pre op diet now but having a terrible time with Migraines and lightheaded. Trying to stay hydrated. Does anyone have any tips? I'm all liquid and Protein shakes not food. 10 more days to go.

I'm so sorry you're having a hard time. Try to get in some Electrolytes. Gatorade or just put some salt in Water.

I've always found the South Beach Program easy to follow - no carb/sugar. So for the weeks before the pre-op I followed SB. Then 15 days before was shake for Breakfast & lunch & sensible dinner. I made sure that my dinner fit within the SB guidelines. My surgeon said that was fine bc my post op diet with be low carb/ sugar also ... so SB was good practice

Wow! That's awesome! So how many carbs per day? I'm doing 30g carbs - 100g Protein and healthy fat too. Doc said I'm not doing Atkins so I don't get to eat a bunch of unhealthy saturated fat.

I have less than 20 grams of carbs per day (usually around 15 grams).