Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just want to know everyone else experience during the 2 week full liquid stage.

I am 1 week and 1 day post op and I have finally been able to drink more than 2 sips of anything, what a struggle it has been. I crave food all the time, it just came as a shock to me only because I didn't think I would be THIS hungry after the surgery. Not that I would even be able to take more than a bite of something, but boy do I dream about a bite.

Besides that, the heartburn, acid reflex, GERD I get has been horrible, it's finally starting to get manageable but geeze.

I get released to soft food on Thursday, I am afraid that I won't even be able to have a spoonful of something due to how much pain I am now if I drink something with citrus in it or even an extra sip of something. I am afraid of GERD after.

What was everyone's experience like during all the transitions? From liquids to smooth, to solid foods? Was it easy or hard transitioning? Did the GERD go away?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I felt hungry for about a week after surgery, but that went away.

I didn't have heartburn going into the surgery, and other than some warmth in my chest I haven't felt any since. Many people are given a PPI to take for a few months after surgery, but after reading that PPIs can cause heartburn in people that never had it before, I have opted to put off taking one unless symptoms arise. My surgeon didn't prescribe a PPI, although we were given the option to purchase one afterwards.

I am now on smooth solids and purées, and while i haven't felt huger for weeks, I can get about a half cup into me at a time. I'm taking it slow, because I've read many posts from people who push it and end up vomiting. I haven't yet, and hope to keep it that way.

First three days sucked, then it was eye on the ball and it got easier. Hardest day was when everyone at work ordered pizza not knowing that was my go to food. Whole place smelled amazing! But I muscled through it.

No issues with heartburn. Now post op I had to stay on top of my PPI or it was uncomfortable.

Edited by #BirdDog

I was put on protonix for a month automatically right out of surgery so no gerd issues.

I felt hungry lots and easily drank 8oz of Soup or Protein drink which scared me!

Now on purees and at first, was still hungry as heck but NUT told me so much about Protein and handouts, the same, I didn't realize I could have easy carbs like Melba toast with tuna or a Wass cracker or eat slow burning carbs besides Beans. Well, once I added that in, huge difference...no more hungry hippo and full in a few bites. It seems I can still have more than four bites as claimed so dobt know what is up with that but point is, I'm full fast especially with certain foods like a scrambled egg

I'm nearly three weeks out and the most challenging I'd getting in enough Water daily.

@@_bribri1001

I am 15 months out so it all seems a blur those first few weeks. I just wanted to say that each day is different and you are so very early in the 'game'. The one thing I did do during the liquid stage was not bother with the rule of 6 'meals' a day and stop after 20 minutes. I think I was either drinking Protein or Water non stop from the moment i got up to when i went to sleep. Tiny sips but it worked. Your body has had a hammering, give it time to recover and congratulations !! Keep us updated on how things are going for you :)

Kate

p.s. I never feel hungry even now but I know when I need to eat. It's an odd feeling but im grateful for it.

I just want to know everyone else experience during the 2 week full liquid stage.

I am 1 week and 1 day post op and I have finally been able to drink more than 2 sips of anything, what a struggle it has been. I crave food all the time, it just came as a shock to me only because I didn't think I would be THIS hungry after the surgery. Not that I would even be able to take more than a bite of something, but boy do I dream about a bite.

Besides that, the heartburn, acid reflex, GERD I get has been horrible, it's finally starting to get manageable but geeze.

I get released to soft food on Thursday, I am afraid that I won't even be able to have a spoonful of something due to how much pain I am now if I drink something with citrus in it or even an extra sip of something. I am afraid of GERD after.

What was everyone's experience like during all the transitions? From liquids to smooth, to solid foods? Was it easy or hard transitioning? Did the GERD go away?

Are you on a ppi? I wasn't and experienced what you did. I felt hungry all the time rumbly tummy. Could not have anything remotely citrusly..no crystal light or anything or my tummy got really angry. I burped non stop. I didn't develop reflux (that I noticed) until purees. I called my doc and insisted on a prevacid prescription and miraculously, one day after taking it...totally normal! "Hunger" pains gone...acid reflux gone..it changed my life

Thank you everyone for answering back, it makes me feel better and hopeful.

I think my problem is Protein. On the first couple of days my stomach was not liking any form of Protein, wasn't liking anything but tea really. I have been trying to try different Proteins but really haven't been able to get much down. I think I need to start trying to get more protein down.

As far as the GERD yes I am on PPI as well as over the counter Zantac. My doc told me to use both to help and yes it has helped for the most part but at night MAN there is no way I am sleeping. I'm woken and forced to sit at a 90 degree angle. I sleep with two or 3 pillows for the incline and it still doesn't help. I've talked to my doctor and they basically said that I am already on a lot of antiacids. So I have been trying to cut back on anything that can cause acid reflex. And on the full liquid stage it really does leave only so much to drink....my doc said that over time it will go away. I'm hoping soon.

My surgeon has prescribed me an a drug used to prevent stomach ulcers and treat GERD. Everyone should get this after this type of surgery. Contact your doctor and get some help. Hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my SM-T350 using the BariatricPal App