Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing but not swallowing

Como on we are food addicts, who are you kidding? I heard you and I appreciate the advice what I don't appreciate is how condescending your being.

Suzzzzzz I appreciate the advice I did buy some and they are god send and the sugar free ones aren't that bad

Someone told me gum would help too, I bought some sugar free trident and that has helped me with my chewing urge it's getting easier.

I still look forward to being able to chew real food it's hard bc it's so drastically different from a life style of years and having it change in a matter of day.

Thanks everyone for the positive advise.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I so wish I could chew gum. My surgeon says no gum for 6 very long months. I, too, struggle with not chewing and haven't had a good solution. Thankfully, I move on to pureed foods on Tuesday. (I can't chew ice or anything cold, my teeth are just too sensitive so the ice popsicles don't work for me). ;)

Didn't think it was that serious. It's not like I have been doing it consistently, I had my vsg in Mexico and my coordinator who also has done it did tell me that if I saw something and felt the extreme need to eat it that I should just chew it and spit it out an not to swallo. I have slot of anxiety so sometime I just feel the need to chew. I'm 12 days post of and I feel great I've recently started chewing gum. Not a gum person but it definitely has helped.

Sorry. This is bad advice. Aside from the eating disorder issue chewing food and spitting it out and gum chewing is not good for you.

Simply put, when you chew your stomach starts making acid to prepare for digestion. No food comes but the acid is there.

Has anyone done this. I have been chewing but spitting out food it's been a little helpful I'm still on liquid I'm almost 2 weeks post op

Sounds like you're trading one eating disorder for another.

And your coordinator likely has exactly zero medical training and should not be giving out medical advice. You should talk directly with your surgeon if you have questions.

And yes, we all had urges...that's why it's called an addiction....and no, we did not all give in to them. I was on liquids for 5 weeks and never once veered off plan.

If you are having a hard time with your addiction at this point, please seek professional counseling/therapy. It only gets harder the farther out you get. Maintenance will be impossible if you haven't faced your demons, figured out why you got obese in the first place and developed new behaviors to keep from going back to where you started. The three years I spent with my therapist is far more valuable than the hour I spent on the operating table.

Edited by Dairymary

Yeah I'm not sure if you saw that everyone has already told me that. And believe me I understand what everyone is saying an appreciate the advice, my coordinator is also a nurse, I don't know how many times I've said she didn't tell me

Hey chew food spit it out. I at fist had a hard time with my chewing urges, and yes she said if I could not fight the urge to eat something because apparently im

Not the only one who has urges she advise against the lesser of two evils that if I absolutely and if I felt tempted to put something into my pouch to just bite it and spit it because she rather i not actually swallow anything. Also not sure if you read that I have now found a few diffident ways to cope with it. Thanks for the advice

Glad you are finding different ways to cope with it!!! [emoji108][emoji106][emoji898][emoji322][emoji847]Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Says the newbie who has no idea what they are talking about.

Let me tell ya a little "chew and spit" story.

My husband had the bypass 10.5 years ago, where forums like these would encourage that kind of behavior. Back in those days, it seemed to be all about finding ways to eat around the surgery for a lot of people. Really emotionally healthy, right?

Well, a week or 2 out from surgery, his cravings got the best of him and he grabbed a peice of steak to chew and spit. It didn't go well. He inadvertently swallowed the steak, and immediately knew something was wrong. I had to rush him to the ER where he needed a scope to dislodge the steak from his esophagus.

I'm not saying that's going to happen to you, but that's why it's so important to follow your surgeons orders (no surgeon would condone that behavior) so your tiny new tummy can heal properly. Like someone said above, even the residual acid from chewing and the juice from the food itself can be harmful and irritate the line of staples you have going all the way across the remaining stomach.

I'm always shocked when this comes up, how many people are cool with it.

I swear WLS is an anorexic dream for some people.

SMH

I heard all them loud and clear. Did you not read at all what I said about finding new ways to cope sheesh I swear people can't make a mistake. And to shame someone for saying congrats on finding other ways to deal. Seriously

I heard all them loud and clear. Did you not read at all what I said about finding new ways to cope sheesh I swear people can't make a mistake. And to shame someone for saying congrats on finding other ways to deal. Seriously

Got it. You're good. This is a learning process, and none of us are perfect, believe me. We have ALL made mistakes!

And that person who was saying 'congrats' was just being a shit disturber and was trying to enable dangerous behavior. I don't tolerate it. In real life or online.

I'm sure she was saying congrats on finding a better way, because I mentioned that I haven't done that because I found that popsicles and gum have helped me with my chewing needs. I don't think she was saying glad your coping by chewing and spitting. I am new and learning.

I'm sure she was saying congrats on finding a better way, because I mentioned that I haven't done that because I found that popsicles and gum have helped me with my chewing needs. I don't think she was saying glad your coping by chewing and spitting. I am new and learning.

You'll figure it out. Somehow we all did. If it makes you feel any better, it does get easier when you can actually start eating real food. The stage you're going through is definitely one of the harder stages for sure.