Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chewing but not swallowing

No please don't do this. This is a bad road to go down and could turn into a real eating disorder.

You are still manufacturing saliva and stomach acids when you put food in your mouth, and it is highly unlikely that every molecule of food is spit out, so some liquefied food is still swallowed. You're not saying what you're chewing/spitting out, but it still is dangerous if only because you're using poor coping methods right out of the gate and you should do your very best to throw out all the bad habits now so you don't continue trying to find cheats that will end up sabotaging your success.

It also is cheating your doctor's orders for your diet he laid out for you. If you are struggling, please contact your doctor and explain what you're doing and ask for help.

But do please back away from this. It isn't good for you. You're trying to become healthy and learn how to eat correctly. This is not a healthy way to go forward.

When you are feeling really desperate, have a glass of ice cold Water, try some sugar free pops or Jello, or even a Protein shake. If your diet allows other stuff, by all means go to them, but do your very best to stick to what your doctor said at the phase you're in.

I know how hard it is - really, really really I swear. But you have so much awesome to look forward to and you can make it without doing things like this. You are totally worth the hard work and effort. Please stay strong and do your best to stick to your doctor's diet without cheating. You can do this!!

You REALLY SHOULD NOT do that.

Has anyone done this. I have been chewing but spitting out food it's been a little helpful I'm still on liquid I'm almost 2 weeks post op

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Does your Bariatric practice have a therapist or counselor on staff? I highly recommend that you don't do this and that you talk with your NUT or a therapist about healthy ways to address your challenges.

The surgery is a choice the post op diet is a prescription to be taken as directed just like all other prescriptions. What happens if you are told to take two pain pills and u decide too take the whole bottle you can die right? So maybe think about that before doing things outside of ur ordered and prescribed diet!! It's not a joke and it's not to play around with. I highly suggest you talk to your NUT and maybe see a therapist to figure out coping techniques. Please don't do this. Gl with the rest of ur journey. And best wishes. Just remember mind over matter. It's mostly mental.

Didn't think it was that serious. It's not like I have been doing it consistently, I had my vsg in Mexico and my coordinator who also has done it did tell me that if I saw something and felt the extreme need to eat it that I should just chew it and spit it out an not to swallo. I have slot of anxiety so sometime I just feel the need to chew. I'm 12 days post of and I feel great I've recently started chewing gum. Not a gum person but it definitely has helped.

Feeling great is one thing but u need to understand ur stomach is not heeled just think of it like a new born baby they only have fluids bc they're stomached can't handle anything but fluids. If a baby was to have a piece of chewed food they can choke bc it can slide down and choke them if this slides down it can cause severe damage even though u feel great ur tummy isn't healed so please watch doing this. Also it could cause eating disorders if U get used to that satisfying your appetite. You could potentially being doing more harm then anything.

This is really a bad idea as detailed above and is the first step towards a serious eating disorder. I won't repeat all that was already said because there is no need. You are grown and don't need a board of people lecturing you.

That said, if your coordinator suggested it, why did you feel the need to pose the question here? I am asking you that with all sincerity. It seems to me that by asking, you already know it's not a good idea.

Just thinking out loud... ;)

Hi atzvsg,

In addition to the great advice already given, there is one more thing to consider.....Digestion of carbs starts in the mouth. Saliva contains digestive enzymes that start the breakdown of starches in sugars while still in your mouth. Even if you spit out the bulk of what you chewed, you'll wind up taking in unwanted calories.

It sounds like your coordinator didn't give you great advice. I'm glad you found your way to this site. I'm new too and from what I've seen so far, everyone looks out for each other, even when it means telling us what we don't want to hear :)

No I understand, I didn't chew in carbs by the way, I've chewed in pieces of fruit, and some lunch meat and chicken. I don't really struggle with bread. My coordinator didn't tell me hey chew your food she said if o absolutely couldn't resist or beat the urge to help me during the transition I could do it but not to pass anything. Gum is helping my chewing needs right now

Yes and they also have Proteins. My coordinator is also a nurse and also a patient of my doctor who herself is sleeved. Like I said she's didn't so oh hey chew some food and spit it she said " if you absolutely" can't fight off the urge as in please don't put nothing down into your sleeve. I now know that it's not something I should do but it has helped and also I've recently been chewing gum. Thanks for your input.