Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Past life drive through foods...eye opener!

It was McDonald's double cheeseburgers for me. And, they were only $1 most of the time! I was recently on a road trip and stopped at McDonald's to use the bathroom. When I opened the door, the smell of grease was overwhelming and I couldn't get out of their fast enough.

I was a double cheeseburger addict too. My typical order was two doubles (add grilled onions) or a double and mcchicken and a large fry. Thats over 1300 cals and that woukd just be lunch or dinner. I would usually have another similar meal.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 340 Sleeved 10/5/16

I did that (McDouble, McChicken, Large Fry) as a "snack" on top of 3 or 4 high calorie meals. My partner and I were notorious for late night McDonalds runs. No wonder I weighed 400 pounds before I finally decided to take control of the situation...

Oh my!!

I have gone online and researched the calories that are in foods that I USED to eat quite often. I must have been in quite a state of denial. I can't believe the calories in these foods! Plus the carbs and sugar. I know that as post WLS we don't focus on calories as much as +protein

and -carbs/sugar, however I can see from this quick research that what I was consuming regularly pushed me WAY over what I needed in calories and carbs.

I now track just about everything I eat. Someday I will relax and not track so much but it is helping me a lot right now. Here is a list of stuff I used to eat pre-surgery and when I was in complete denial.

Starbucks Iced Lemon Pound Cake: 470 calories, 68 carbs (yikes).

Starbucks chicken Artichoke on Ancient Grain Flatbreat (sounds healthy, right?) 510 calories, 37 carbs.

McDonald's Big Mac: 563 calories, 44 carbs. (Hello, I'm Kel. I'm a recovering Big Mac Addict.)

Jack-in-the-Box Portobello Mushroom Buttery Jack: 810 calories, 51 carbs. (!!!)

Jack-in-the-Box Breakfast Platter: 640calories, 47 carbs.

Jimmy Johns Club tuna Sandwich: 1000 calories, 73 carbs.

Snyders' of Hanover Honey Mustard Pretzel Pieces, 3 oz bag: 420 calories, 60 carbs.

Einstein's Everything Bagel with Regular Cream Cheese: 430 calories, 60 carbs.

Loaded Baked Potato w/sour cream, cheese and bacon bits: 535 calories, 62 carbs.

And to think on any given day pre-surgery life I might have had 2 or 3 of these items. Sleeve life is truly a learning journey!

Great post.

The Jimmy John's tuna sandwich is shocking.

I hit a drive through for lunch....a chicken joint PDQ. 3 grilled chicken fingers. Great lunch and I really needed some food at the time. Sure beat the loaded sandwich and fries that I'd have ordered back in the day (last year, lol).

I was totally a victim of justifying how I used my WW points-hello, Taco Bell crunchy taco surpreme (only five points!). It was so misguided, and to think of all the unnatural stuff in fast food now makes me kinda sick to my stomach. I call that progress!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think WW made a big mistake switching to the points program. I was never successful at it. Too easy to cheat the system. I liked it better when they had checkboxes for real food: 3 Protein, 2 milk, 5 veggies, etc.

I'm scared to look at how many calories was in the large pizza I took down half of, with half of the cheese sticks and half a 2 liter.

When I was on work trips, I would order from Papa Johns or pizza Hut all the time. I could get a smorgasbord of pizza, cheese sticks, some kind of fried chicken strips or wings, dessert of some kind, and a 2 liter diet coke for $50ish which was less than I would have spent in the hotel restaurant on dinner. I wouldn't eat all of it, but I made a HUGE dent in it. Again, no wonder I weighed 400 pounds!

My husband has binge eating disorder - between the 2 of us, it'd be g o n e gone! He is able to maintain a relatively healthy weight, miraculously although he's lost 10 pounds since I had surgery by association!

pizza does not come into the house. It's the only thing I'm "afraid" of. Hopefully that will change, but at 7 weeks out, better safe than sorry!!!! I really am scared to look at calories. Yikes!

When I used to go to McDonald's for Breakfast I would get a plain biscuit and a hash brown. Carbs only. Sometimes 2 of each. I remember wiping the biscuit crumbs off my clothes.....

Don't miss it at all.

When I used to go to McDonald's for Breakfast I would get a plain biscuit and a hash brown. Carbs only. Sometimes 2 of each. I remember wiping the biscuit crumbs off my clothes.....

Don't miss it at all.

MMMMmmmmmm ... When Hardees has two country ham biscuits for $2.22. Carbs with a thin salty sliver of fat.

@@LipstickLady I had to meet coworkers at a breakfast buffet yesterday and there was a steam stray filled with turkey sausage biscuits. I plucked out a sausage patty and left the biscuit. Someone's getting stuck with an empty biscuit....

Hello Kel, My name is Sara and I am also a recovering BigMac addict.

It is amazing to me that I used to eat individual items that are an entire day's worth of calories!

Hi I'm Nia and I'm too a recovering Big Mac addict with extra sauce

Sent from my SM-G900T1 using the BariatricPal App

I was a fast food addict several years ago. I would eat it for breakfast and lunch and several times a week for dinner. When I gave it up five years ago the first several days was a literal struggle as I drove past the Golden Arches with white knuckles from holding the steering wheel so tight and tears in my eyes fighting so hard to not drive through. I put an average days food into fitness pal one time just to get an idea of how many calories I was eating back then and it was mind blowing. It was over 3000 calories on average. I am so thankful I let all that go.

My pre-op diet lunch, while I was reading your posts: salad, 1 egg, 2 slices of serrano ham and 1 Tomato. It added up to 145 cal, 22g Protein, 3g carbs and 8g fat. The fat content and calories are really a little bit less, since I removed the visible fat from the ham. It was yummy!

Ok, a little high on the sodium...post-299365-14782666826574_thumb.jpg

Nilla

What a shitty pic!! Sorry, at least you won't get hungry ????

Nilla