Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slight Ddespression due to not being able to eat

Does anybody ever find that the longer you can't eat the more down you feel? I always knew I used food as a source of self-medication, but lately, after almost 6 weeks of not being able to eat regular food. I find my moods to be like a roller coaster.

I'm 11 days post op and was on a liquid diet 5 weeks before surgery. Now that I'm beginning to feel better after surgery and getting my appitite back I find myself getting a little depressed and extreamly frustrated because I can't eat solid foods for another 11 days.

Can anybody offer some words of comfort and reassurance in the area?:wacko:

Thanks!

Hello Kim. Sounds like you and I are pretty much the same schedule. I got my band on the 27th of August. I have been on liquids since August 13th. I too am getting desperate for real food.

I went to see the surgeon today. I will be on mushies on the 17th. That will last 1 week and then solid foods. I take this one day at a time. If I look at the whole picture, I would probable have a hissy fit!!! Hang in there and I will hang with you. We will really enjoy our food when it comes.

You are in the middle of bandster hell, so don't sweat it right now. Trick is....don't diet, don't worry about calories (too much), just concentrate on doing your liquids and mushies and healing. This is the healing time, and your band has not even BEGUN to work yet. You're being deprived now, but it is TEMPORARY. I dropped 23 pounds my first month and there was NOTHING that could dampen my excitement over THAT! Every time I got discouraged (which wasn't often....I was too excited about having completed the procedure and looking forward to life "on the other side") I thought of what my dad always told me...."You can put up with ANYTHING, if you know it is only temporary."

Does it help if I tell you that you are totally, completely, 100% normal? In fact, I'd be worried about you if you *weren't* a bit depressed.

The big emotional journey coupled with the remainders of anesthesia in your system can make for some wild mood swings. Go with them...it's all part of the journey.

By the by, this might not make you thrilled, but at over two years out, I still sometimes get really bummed out by not being able to eat whatever I want.

I yearn for a cheeseburger, I really do.

But this is all part of the ongoing headwork I do. There but for the grace of a really good therapist go I.....

:D Good luck, you are doing great!

I am only at the application stage. Tonight I pigged out and I have heartburn that feels like it's going to kill me. I feel fat as a house, bloated and sleepy.

I'm just starting my journey up the hill. You are on the way down. Please don't forget that in a couple months, you probably won't even remember what you're feeling right now.

Frankly, I'd much rather be in your shoes!!

Chin(s) up ladies!!! You can do this!!! And you will!!!:clap2:

Marieze

Kim,

I had my surgery on 8/20 and so far I can't keep anything down! I'm in the hospital right now, they don't know what is wrong with me. My dad had it done 2/2005 and has had no problems and has lost 110. Keep your chin up, you will make it (I am just waiting on my journey to finally kick in!)

Kim,

I had my surgery on 8/20 and so far I can't keep anything down! I'm in the hospital right now, they don't know what is wrong with me. My dad had it done 2/2005 and has had no problems and has lost 110. Keep your chin up, you will make it (I am just waiting on my journey to finally kick in!)

WOW MBOROHONEY- I'm sooo sorry to hear you are having problems. I will keep you in my prayers and try not to whine so muc. I know it could be worse for me and I am terribly gratful at this point for the blessings in my life. I hope that you have a favorable outcome and please keep us posted on your condition. BIG HUGS! Kim

Does it help if I tell you that you are totally, completely, 100% normal? In fact, I'd be worried about you if you *weren't* a bit depressed.

The big emotional journey coupled with the remainders of anesthesia in your system can make for some wild mood swings. Go with them...it's all part of the journey.

By the by, this might not make you thrilled, but at over two years out, I still sometimes get really bummed out by not being able to eat whatever I want.

I yearn for a cheeseburger, I really do.

But this is all part of the ongoing headwork I do. There but for the grace of a really good therapist go I.....

:D Good luck, you are doing great!

Thank you to everyone that replied to my distress call. I was so moved by the words of encouragement that they made me cry. Today is a new day and I will continue to move forward as I feel better and stronger everyday.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! And you're right, "THIS TOO WILL PASS!"

Kim,

I have been banded for a little over a year. I have finally realized that it wasn't the food Imissed so much as the associated of events that went with the food. Also, you are grieving for your old life style. So yes, you are normal!!!! Imknow others have told you the same thing. As you progress, other foods will taste good to you, and as you see the transition of your body you will be happier than ever before! ALso, with the carbs out of my body, I think better, have more energy and really am enjoying being able to buy clothes in the "regular" store! Good luck and keep going you will be fine. Just ride the wave!!!!!!!

I am so sorry for your probelms. You will get over this! Take it easy and I know it's easier said than done. I will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how you are doing. Blessings

I'm very close to my band date and have been beginning to wonder the same things: will I miss food or will I miss the "breaking of bread" with family? I'm trying to remember that it's not a matter of whether or not I will ever be able to eat a plate of tempura again--it's the fact that chances are much better I'll be around, period. I think, in the long run, it doesn't matter that I'm having a bowl of miso Soup while they're eating sushi. We're together. I can do this!

My prayers go out to anyone in Bandster Hell. I'll be joining you soon, I'm sure. Strength in numbers!

Darr

TrimKim, I told you in earlier post that you and I are on the same path. Well, guess what???? I am so depressed today, I can hardly breath without crying. I want to go to town, or something, but I wonder what and when and where will I eat(drink liquids). I do not know where I can go and have the strength to even walk through the store. And to top things off, I have diareaha(ex.spelling) so bad, I am afraid to leave the house. But I know this will pass too.

I have a history of depression and I took medication everyday. Since surgery, I have been afraid to swallow the anti-depression meds. Perhaps I should give it a try. Seems like the depression is catching up with me.

On top of dealing with this new life style, my nephew was in a horrible car wreck yesterday. It is a miracle he walked away(or was carried to the ambluance). My sister, his mom is recovering from her second round of chemo. She has luekemia. I keep thinking that this could have been so horrible. I should be thankful it wasn't and I really am. I just can't get the "what if" out of my mind. And if that were not enough, my youngest daughter has lost her teaching job due to her drinking problem, which she denies she has a problem with. She and I cannot have a conversation without screaming. Lord, I better go see if I can swallow that anti-depression med. Or maybe perhaps a cheeseburger!!!! Not really.

Sorry for going on and on.

t

Since surgery, I have been afraid to swallow the anti-depression meds.

Going off depression meds cold-turkey is bad. Not good. Can you grind your meds up or pop the capsule and put the powder in liquid? Ask your pharmacist! Darlin'--you need a seratonin upload!

You are in the middle of bandster hell, so don't sweat it right now. Trick is....don't diet, don't worry about calories (too much), just concentrate on doing your liquids and mushies and healing. This is the healing time, and your band has not even BEGUN to work yet. You're being deprived now, but it is TEMPORARY. I dropped 23 pounds my first month and there was NOTHING that could dampen my excitement over THAT! Every time I got discouraged (which wasn't often....I was too excited about having completed the procedure and looking forward to life "on the other side") I thought of what my dad always told me...."You can put up with ANYTHING, if you know it is only temporary."

Excellent post Kacee....:clap2:

Claramae...another thing to consider also. After I lost about 30 pounds I started having TERRIBLE mood swings (Zero to bitch in 5 second flat!). I've been in menopause 2 years now and I figured I was immune, but I think the hormones (or lack thereof) did a number on me as I lost the weight. Went to the doc and she put me on an estrogen patch and bumped up my Prozac (I've taken just 20 mg for 11 year and always felt just fine) to 40 mg. I noted a difference with the two within 48 hours. Just be aware that it could be several things contributing to this....