Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mt. Carmel, Ohio, Dr. Patricia Choban

Hello Everyone! I have not been banded yet. I just received my papers today that I have been accepted by Dr. Choban's office. My question is does Dr. Choban require a liquid diet for a few weeks before surgery to shrink the liver? I have read alot about this on other forums and I am curious.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Hi I had my surgery july 23, 2007 by Dr. Choban. Well the only liquid deit you have to do is 24 hours before surgery you have to go on liquids only. Now the first time you meet her she will ask you to start to lose weight before surgery to help shrink your liver, it makes the surgery go a little easier. You will like Dr. Choban! Now once you get your package start handling your appoints because the sooner you get them done the sooner you get in to see Dr. Choban.

I have got to ask this question, there is about four of us who are on another thread N E 1 been Banded at Mt. carmel col, oh and I thought I answered this question last night but when I went back to the thread your message was missing and the only thing there is my reply..... I have told the other ladies I wasn't crazy that there was a post.... So was that you or am I really insane..... don't worry if you didn't I will just blame it on my fainting spell I had:D Any way if you need to talk to people who have had surgery done by Dr. Choban that is the thread that we are on.

I am new to this site and trying to get connected to peolpe who have had the band completed in the columbus ohio area. I have spoken with many people but unsure if I should have it done here or in another state. This DR. that you spoke about is she or he had years during this procdure. :confused2:

Acainab - Yes, there are alot of us who have been banded in Central Ohio, some from Riverside, some OSU and a bunch from Mt. Carmel. Are you in the Columbus area?

Check out the Ohio thread labeled "N E 1 Banded Mt. Carmel Columbus" that's where all the folks banded by Dr. Price, Miller and Choban are concentrated.

Edited by SpecialK

Yes I am in the Powell area and I have ben looking in the chicago area becasue of the amount of bands this one DR. has done and a referral from many who had it completed by this DR. But I am hearing I might what to be closer to home for rechecks and any complications that may occur. So I went to OSU and they were pretty much selling the by pass and a short data on band so I was turn off by their message and their deliver of that message. So I am looking a little further into this area before I decide.

Edited by acnaib
left name out

Good luck in your journey investigating lap band. I know Dr. Myers at Riverside Hospital's Fresh Start program is very experienced as are the three doctors at Mt. Carmel, Dr. Price, Dr. Miller and Dr. Choban. They've all done hundreds of the procedures including RNY and Lapbands. I don't hear much about the Sleeve "VBG" in most Columbus threads.

We do get together as a groups of patients of all the different lap band programs once a month at the Polaris mall and we meet in the food court and visit as friends for those banded, checking into it, and whatever. Some bring a spouse or friend along the first time if you feel concerned about coming alone the first time which is why we meet in a public place where you can come and go as you'd like. Check out the thread under the Ohio forum thread that is for a July 12th Central Ohio get together. We represent all the different programs in Columbus and even some self-payers that went to Cincinnati or Detroit for surgery.

Yes I am in the Powell area and I have ben looking in the chicago area becasue of the amount of bands this one DR. has done and a referral from many who had it completed by this DR. But I am hearing I might what to be closer to home for rechecks and any complications that may occur. So I went to OSU and they were pretty much selling the by pass and a short data on band so I was turn off by their message and their deliver of that message. So I am looking a little further into this area before I decide.

Hi,

I'm an OSU banded person. I know what you mean about selling the bypass. I was annoyed with them too, but felt deeply that I wanted the band or nothing. I have to say once that was established there was no talk of the bypass again.

My surgeon is fantastic, and his staff is good too. I'm just putting that out there incase your insurance limits you to whom you can choose. OSU really did and continues to do very well by me and if you must reconsider using them know that they have a satisfied patient out there.

:lol:

Juli - I just recently learned that Aetna added OSU's bariatric surgeons onto their covered list of surgeons at Mt. Carmel but for some reason Riverside still isn't on their approved in-network list. I try to tell everyone to check out all their options and it seems that we all like our surgeons around Central Ohio even if some of us aren't as happy with the paperwork/office end of things. What ultimately was important to me was confidence in my surgeon.

Hi, I started out with OSU's program in 2006, then changed to Dr. Curry in Cincinnati. I met with Dr. Mikami and he told me that they do the band surgery if the patient wants it but don't particularly care for it. I felt I didn't want a Dr. doing lap band surgery on me if he didn't support and believe in the band. So I changed over to Dr. Curry (by that time I read that Dr. Curry was also performing the VSG but my insurance didn't cover it). Any way I have finally completed my journey and received my lap band 4/14. Good Luck in your choice.

Hi, I started out with OSU's program in 2006, then changed to Dr. Curry in Cincinnati. I met with Dr. Mikami and he told me that they do the band surgery if the patient wants it but don't particularly care for it. I felt I didn't want a Dr. doing lap band surgery on me if he didn't support and believe in the band. So I changed over to Dr. Curry (by that time I read that Dr. Curry was also performing the VSG but my insurance didn't cover it). Any way I have finally completed my journey and received my lap band 4/14. Good Luck in your choice.

WOW! Congratulations for hanging in there for such a long time to pursue what you knew was best for you! Hope you are doing well.

Hello I was wondering if anyone here in Ohio could please tell me how much their Lab Band Surgery costs out of pocket?

thank you in advance.

M

don't know what Dr. Curry charges for self pay but he has his own surgery center and there are hotels in the area. But anyway, here's his web site. you can always e mail them.

Ihttp://www.thebanddoctor.com/default

You may want to contact those obesity lawyers, I'm not sure the name of their web site, obesitylaw.com or something like that. They may be able to help you.

By the way, why were you turned down?

Peggy

Hey Peggy:

Thank for the web site link..going there after this. I am in litigation with the help of obesity.law right now. They are a great service and nice folks too. Cigna is a tough one to get approval from. First they turned me down because they said I don't have enough co-mobidities with a 38 BMI then the last two denials said "the Lap Band is considered "experimental" and they don't cover it. They really are dogs...there is a web site just for folks who go through this with them! I am actually considering Mexico at one point but I'm changing my mind. I'm hoping I can find a surgeon, as I'm thinking they are all pretty experienced by now and my PCP who I started with a few months ago just told me she is training this month to be a fill doc, I felt this was a sign I should move forward. Also since I turned 48 I'm gaining weight every month no matter what I DO! I'm starting to withdraw a bit since I stopped working a few months ago. i just don't have the self confidence to look for a job at this point.

Thank you Peggy for listening to my lap band blues.

I just had my consult with Dr. Curry and his staff today, and I have to say that I'm very pleased with my experience thus far. They are very quick to respond to questions, and it didn't take 6 weeks to get in to see them (which was my experience with some of the programs here in Cbus). Dr. Curry is about to open an office here for fills (somewhere around Drs West, I understand). I'm planning on getting banded mid-Nov. I'm a self-payer, and the program for Dr Curry costs $13k, including two years worth of follow-up and fills.

In response to Dorothy's original question, I'm having to do 4 weeks of Medifast prior to surgery due to my BMI, though I do hear that 2 weeks is typical. I suspect what Dr Choban would require depends on your individual health situation.

Congratulations on your decision Barb~ Wonderful Peggy directed me to Dr. Curry and I was very impressed with their responsiveness and professional web site. 12,000 this is a great price esp. with 2 years of fills! It's almost the same prices as going to Mexico! this is great news! thanks and best to you!