Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No longer answering these questions:

Wow! So sorry that we inconvenienced you all. Maybe I missed it but when I started on this site a month ago, I did not see a "how to" as far as asking questions. Maybe its time for some of the veterans to bow out... you have forgotten what it is like to be a newbie and to feel overwhelmed about this whole process not to mention the ton of information coming from all different sources. Some of you have forgotten what it is all about...if your bored with the questions...move along and don't waste your time. I thought it was great to be getting input from the "VIPs" and "Bariatric Legends" but I don't want a veteran who has forgotten where they came from.

I've only been here for about 6 months, and I'm only 3 months post-op, but you're really on the wrong track here. When September is 6 months in your rearview mirror and you've actively participated, do me a favor and revisit this topic. I can promise you your attitude will change. There is a small handful of dedicated, seasoned and well-informed veterans on this site who tirelessly answer the SAME 20 QUESTIONS over and over and over and over and over again. They VOLUNTEER to do this. Willingly give up their own time to try to help the rest of us. So when one of them starts a thread about what she will/won't answer questions about, it's long overdue and they don't need a 2 or 3 week member, still pre-op, telling them what they should or shouldn't do. I was not a huge fan of some of the vets when I first arrived, but that's completely changed as I observe the rank stupidity they're willing to deal with day after day, solely to ensure that anyone reading doesn't take any of the rank stupidity to heart. Try dealing with the vets as carefully as you'd deal with the newbs...they deserve that and more, from all of us.

Understandable .... but alot of newbies aren't dealt with carefully.

It's that age old debate.

Should you be more patient, more considerate, more kind, because you have been there done that?

The hardest part here is that every single person has a different experience. We are all under different bariatric plans, we are from all over the globe.

And what can happen is that someone google's a WLS question, this direct forum post comes up, they excitedly join and ask a question.

If they use the phone app, the search might not work, they might genuinely be exploring WLS by asking newbie questions.

I get that patience wears out, so why not just move on? Snarky comments are just a waste of energy. Alot of people might not "get" the "in jokes" between long standing groups.

I think a "vets" room is a great idea. Then they don't have to repeat themselves. But then I think sarcasm should be discouraged too.

I don't care if people are mean, cliquey, sarcastic. I also don't care if people ask stupid questions.

English might not be their first language, this might be their first google hit, they might be lonely, had their surgery in a foreign country and genuinely not fully understand their program, etc.

Previous poster is right though, this is the internet.

What do we expect?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

True, but I feel bad at times that LSL gets bashed alot by saying what at least I'm thinking. And most of the time she isnt a quarter as bad as I would be. Lol

When I started this process I wanted to know everything that I could to prepare and decide if this was for me. I could never imagine doing this life altering surgery without research.

When I started I didnt even know what questions to have, thats why I stalked this forum. Started reading threads in the gastric forum from 2 years ago and just mentally compiling.

I guess that is also why I get a bug up my butt when I see the same threads.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

Wait! I'm not even part of this thread!!! :D
You're a part of EVERY thread, whether you want to be, or not. Lmao

RIIIIIIGHT!??!! And I suspect you didn't even like me much when you first came here. I grew on you. Like mold.

#sorrynotsorry

Actually. Not true. One bitch can easily sniff out another....

Mold. Bahahahahaha. Slaying me.

...I was not a huge fan of some of the vets when I first arrived...

Me. This bee-yotch is talking about ME. She loves me now, though. She really really does.

:::sigh:::: every. single. thing. is NOT about you!

But this is! hahahahahahaha....love you, Lippy ;-*

...I was not a huge fan of some of the vets when I first arrived...

Me. This bee-yotch is talking about ME. She loves me now, though. She really really does.
Whether she likes it ir not.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I'm just nice to her so she leaves me alone ;-)

Suck up.

10 tacos and 3 beers that's 3 Latinas worth of indigestion when you're healthy. Remember you only have a bananas (sleeve) or a little tiny-tot egg (RnY) you can't eat like the famines coming anymore. Remember while I'm shaking my finger at you I've got 4 pointing at me also so its something I got to take to heart also. Less is best and moderation makes joy. Hugs from me, Rosey

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Understandable .... but alot of newbies aren't dealt with carefully.

Should you be more patient, more considerate, more kind, because you have been there done that?

The hardest part here is that every single person has a different experience. ...

Snarky comments are just a waste of energy. Alot of people might not "get" the "in jokes" between long standing groups.

So here is **MY** "problem with the above statements...

A newbie asks if if they can have tacos 5 days post op.

If I say, "No. That's a really bad idea.", some readers get it and run with it. Some get pissed because I didn't say, "Awww...baby girl....I know you really really really want them delishhhhhussss tacos and I did too. It's so incredibly difficult to be in your shoes and everyone in the world should eat mushy brown stuff while you acclimate to your new feelings and surroundings. If you do choose to eat a taco, or bite, chew and spit, you will be OK. If you do it just this once, I get it, I did it too...."

If I say, "Check with your surgeon.", some readers will get it and run with it. Some get pissed because I didn't say, "Awww...baby girl...I know you really want them dellliiiissshhhhhusss tacos and I did too. I know you don't want to talk to your surgeon because you just want to hear it's ok, so go ahead, just this once. I am sure you will be JUUUUUUUUST fine."

If I say, "Sure! Do it! Have at it.", I'm sarcastic.

Many of us Vets can't win because we can't read minds. Many of us don't care that we can't read minds, either, we just go with option A or B and get blasted because we actually give a sh^t about the reader and those lurking. If that makes me a monster, so be it.

Yes, we all have different experiences, but we also have different personalities and learning styles. Some choose to be optimistic through our journey, good and bad, some choose to play victim, some choose to work harder and patiently through stalls, some choose to blame the surgeon, some choose to respond to point blank answers, some choose to respond well to warm fuzzy... Some choose to follow their doctor's plans, others choose to eat tacos, steaks, candy and ice cream. It's human nature.

It's not my problem if you choose to read snarky or sarcasm or mean or grumpy or disgruntled into a response that was not written that way or not. My words are MY words, how you choose to interpret them? Out of my control.

As for long standing jokes and commentary amongst the friendships that have grown here? Are those against the policies and procedures? I don't think so. Nor do I think they need to stop. Once they do, this site loses. Just because some choose not to incorporate themselves into one of the many cultures here, does not mean they should not exist.

I guess some newbies don't know about these features, and haven't learnt how to navigate this huge forum yet.

I wish these topics were pinned at the top of each forum.

Pinned threads are not the worst idea. They give a quick overview over repetitive topics.

I do understand why the vets "take a break" or leave altogether. This board tends to get redundant or repetitive and it's pretty annoying sometimes to see the same questions posed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and I've only been a member since June.

In the end every board I've ever been on is like this. Boards are like this. It doesn't matter if it's a board about WLS, gardening, cats, dogs, whatever.

Sometimes one needs to take a break or leave. Ideally without any overly dramatic good-bye-posts (yes, I can understand the need to read all the "Oh NOOOOOOOO, please don't leave!!!!!!!11" comments but that gets old as well).

When you are burned out on answering questions, it is time to take a break and let others do the answering. What attracts people to a board is the ability to interact.

When everyone quits interacting and simply points to the search bar, then the board will cease to exist.

Unfortunately you are right.

And I can already see the "this board is so dead" comments popping up like crazy.

Nobody forces anyone to read all threads and nobody forces anyone to answer any questions. Three sites of new posts this morning and I clicked maybe four or five topics. In fact I skip most of the threads because the titles simply don't seem interesting to me.

I'm riding out the next 3 months until I can post in the Vets forum the best way I can. I have a question I want to ask but I only want input from Vets so I'm waiting. It is a long hard wait...

Why not PM one of them if the question is that important?

And may your question not be regarded as "dumb ass stupid" or something... :rolleyes:

I think that it might not be obvious to people reading this thread that it's in the "Rants and Raves" section. I know sometimes on my phone I don't see what section the thread is from.

I was going to make a snarky comment about bananas as someone mentioned them in relation to sleeve size, but then the comment about boards being dead stuck with me.....until the top topic when I click "new content" is anal sex concerns.

A lot of diversity I favor "pinning" the top comments, but that would not translate to the device most of us "read" from - our phones.

But, point is I think we still have excitement and if anal sex doesn't keep vets engaged......

I hear you. I'm the same way now. I'm at the point just ignore such posts. However, occasionally I will read a post from someone that either makes me laugh, roll my eyes or turn bright red in anger. I truly don't understand why some people get the surgery if they aren't willing to make any changes to what they are going to eat. Don't make me laugh about the people that claim they were eating steak just a couple of days outside of surgery!

I'm riding out the next 3 months until I can post in the Vets forum the best way I can. I have a question I want to ask but I only want input from Vets so I'm waiting. It is a long hard wait...

Why not PM one of them if the question is that important?

And may your question not be regarded as "dumb ass stupid" or something... :rolleyes:

There are plenty of people on here I talk to outside of this forum on facebook/text etc, so I could ask them but I would rather it be a topic of discussion, than just ask people one on one. Especially since the vets I know, I pretty much already know their opinion and my question would help other people.

Thanks for popping up with your winning personality as usual! It wouldn't be a thread without you.