Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally ate at a restaurant today!

To anyone who hasn't been on our journey, it sounds silly. But I am 12 days post-op & went out with family today for lunch. Though I only had egg drop Soup, it felt like a small victory!!! I was able to "eyeball" the small soup, knew when to stop and it was a great feeling!

I know for many on here, they are moving through stages very fast. My medical group is conservative & I've followed it to the "T". Today was great affirmation that I'm making good progress! I also had strained fat free cream of chicken soup for dinner and all went well!

For anyone whose needing a "sweet fix", I wanted to share something I've made for years. My husband is diabetic. So you use I box of sugar free Jello instant pudding, 1/2 of the milk called for and mis them together. Then add a tub of sugar free cool-whip. It comes out the consistency of a mouse, is delicious and very satisfying with hardly any calories at all! chocolate, pistachio and cheesecake are our 3 favs!

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Highest weight - 286

Surgery day weight - 240

Today's weight - 220 (12 days post-op)

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm honestly scared to eat any sweets (sugar free Jello included)... I have read too many stories of regain & I'm scared once I start down that path it will eventually make me gain weight (sugar free or not) ...I know it's about portion etc but still was wondering would it be better not to introduce sweets at all or jst do sweets in lil increments? (PS...I have everything submitted & approved, jst waiting on a surgery date..so haven't talked to ANYONE about anything yet as far as surgeons and foods)...but that recipe sounds yummy

Sent from m

I haven't eaten any of the Jello mousse either. Was just sharing the recipe. But I am equally terrified of dumping syndrome! Nothing is worth that feeling in my book! But, with this mousse being very low fat & sugar free it's a nice option. I have many diabetics in my family and instead of cakes for birthdays, we typically have fresh fruit and the Jello mouse as options. I actually have low blood sugar - reactive hypoglycemia. So, I kind of know what dumping feels like. Don't ever want to do that to myself intentionally! I wish you luck with your surgery! I'm thrilled I had it done!

I guess I'm jst trying to get opinions on any sugar free sweets after surgery...I have IBSD bad! So yeah I don't want dumping syndrome either...my mom is diabetic so I'm used to SF things in the house growing up...but again I'm scared of regain & wanting sweets after surgery ...I'm jst questioning thoughts on avoiding all together or if it's best to do lil at a time so you don't binge on sweets eventually?? Idk if that makes sense...but jst trying to get thoughts

Sent from m

I think totally avoiding could set you up for a binge possibly. Small APPROPRIATE sweet treats now and then seems like a reasonable plan. My mom and brother have IBS. My mom has had gastric bypass and does great with the mousse and other sugar free Desserts. You just need Portion Control and moderation on frequency from her experience.

I've never been a binge eater. So I guess I can't really relate regarding eating a huge amount of something. But I do get cravings. When it's that time of the month, I crave chocolate like crazy. I found the think think brownie bites (as an example) during the months before surgery and would eat 2 or 3 bites and be fine (3g sugar per bite). Can't eat those now of course. But I'm committed to finding ways to follow my new dietary rules and still feel happy, satisfied and healthy.

Products that are sugar free using many forms of artificial sweeteners and also products using natural no calorie sweeteners such as stevia should be fine and should not cause dumping syndrome.

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I strictly avoid processed sugars. I have a sweet tooth and that is one of the major causes that contributed to my weight gain over my lifetime. I limit myself to artificial sweeteners (such as Splenda and sugar alcohols), to natural low calorie sweeteners (such as Stevia) and to the natural sugars found in fruits and milk. I had diabetes. That went into remission when I left the hospital two days after surgery and I have not taken any diabetic medicine ever since and my blood sugar levels are good. I test my blood sugar levels periodically. I read the labels of all food that I consume. I look at the grams of sugar per serving. If it is above 5 grams, I look at the ingredients. The ingredients are listed in order by highest percentage, and if the first 5 ingredients contain processed sugar (in any of its many forms), then I avoid this food, like a plague.

The sugars I avoid are sucrose (table sugar), fructose (honey), dextrose, corn Syrup, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), cane juice, evaporated cane juice, agave, molasses, corn sweeteners, brown sugar, barley malt, beet sugar, and pure maple sugar.

I also think that not having even something like a treat sets us up for failure, I do have things that are SF. But as far as not getting the dumping syndrome with SF stuff isn't in my case: I can eat SF hard candy etc but give me SF chocolate and look out. I became Lactose Intolerant after my RNY so I think that is part of my problem, I am 3 years out from my RNY and I have lost 124#'s (which I did in 6 months) I have maintained that weight for 2 and 1/2 years. My lowest weight was 117#'s, so I did gain 8#'s back but I can tell you just 8#'s difference for how I felt is AMAZING!!! My Surgeon and Nutritionist both told me that in time there are no FORBIDDEN FOODS you just have to do it in MODERATION. This is my approach to my eating plan and my exercise program, so far it has worked very well for me!!