Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fill

I am going in tomorrow for my first fill and I am a little nervous. Not really about getting the actual fill but about how easily I will be able to eat afterward. I am looking forward though to getting a little kick to my weight loss since I havent lost anything in a couple weeks. Has anyone gotten their first fill yet? If not when are you planning on getting it?

That's so exciting! I'm still at my two week mark, just getting excited about eating mushies. LOL It's great that we are all at different stages. Please, keep us posted about every little detail. Good luck tomorrow! :clap2:

Pammy, I'm glad you started this thread. I hope lots of people will reply as they start getting fills. Your Dr. is moving you along a little faster than my doc. I had a nutrition class today and advanced to solids. I won't get my first fill until Sept. 28. I'm really anxious and somewhat nervous for the same reasons you are. Please post after you get your fill. I'm really curious about the whole experience. My doctor wants you not to eat for 3 hours before a fill. What about yours?

I am really excited to hear about your first fill. I am only 8 days post op, so I am still on liquids. I don't really know when I'm suppose to get my first fill. How did you know? It seems so fast. Please let me know the difference in how you feel... Dana

My doctors office didnt give me any special instructions about eating or not eating before my fill. Im scheduled for 1:30 so Im not planning eating lunch till later just in case.

My doctor has a standard time for when you can schedule your first fill, its 4 weeks after surgery. He is a little more relaxed I guess you would call it all the way around. I was able to go to mushies just 2 days after surgery.

I will let everyone know how my fill goes tomorrow. Thanks for your well wishes

I just got home from getting my fill and it went very well. The actual procedure only took about 15 minutes. I really didnt find it painful at all, just felt like a pinch or a bee sting. I found out that I have a small AP band that holds about 10 cc. The nurse put in 3 cc, which kinda surprised me that it was so much but Water was going down, slowly but down. I am sipping on some Tomato Soup right now, feels good but Im going slow to make sure everything is ok. I am to be on soft food for 24 hours.

Thanks for the report. I'm glad it wasn't painful for you. I'll be anxious to hear how that 3cc's affects you. Again, I think my doc is more conservative that yours. Mine says the first fill will probably be 1.5 cc. I don't know what my docs policy is on liquids after a fill. I didn't think to ask. I hope the fill works beautifully for you. Wouldn't it be nice to get good results on the first fill? May you be so lucky.

I had my first fill on Sept 4, just 2 days short of my 4 week mark. It didn't hurt at all and my doc always does them under fluoro. The nurse told me she put in 3.6cc and said that was about average. I am not sure what size band I have. I don't feel like I have restriction (I ate a little Pasta tonight) but I am very fortunate that I really don't get hungry. In fact, I have the opposite "problem". I can't seem to get in enough calories. Is anyone else experiencing this? I have been hesitant to ask because I know that there are so many people struggling the other way that I didn't want others to start growling:angry at me!!!

Good luck!

I'm scheduled for my first fill on 09/21. My Dr requires you to have had no solids on fill day, and post-fill diet is clear liquids/full liquids/mushies (3 days). All fills done under fluoro, so a bit more aggressive. I'm actually not looking forward to it--I'm not hungry, I'm tolerating food well and I've lost 6lbs in the last 10 days. Why mess with success?

Lessnless,

I was in the same boat, I was never hungry. When I got my fill, It didn't seem to cause me any problems. I can still tolerate any of the foods I have tried, though I haven't tried bread or rice yet. Now I am really never hungry and have not ever come close to getting my cals wich my doc really enforces that I need at least 1000 to prevent me from going into starvation mode. I contacted the nurse and she told me to go to higher calorie foods if I start plateauing. Good luck with your fill.

Lessnless,

I also get my first fill on 9/21. We'll have to compare war stories. I'm looking forward to it since at the moment I feel no restrictions. I am sticking to my "plan".......only making healthy choice of mushy foods. Woo! At the moment I am maintaining my weight at 25 lbs lost. Guess it's time to get back on that treadmill!!!

Well I had my first fill yesterday. Everything went well, can't say it was no pain, but it was Ok. Dr. K doesn't routinely use the fluro, so my experience is different than those who have it done under fluro. It amazes me how different we all are in the amount of fills. He put in 1.5cc, tried even .1 more and it was too tight.

First he locates the port with fingers and then used the sonogram to verify. Cleans the area well with Betadine. Then sticks the needle in to where he thinks the port is. A little jiggling around with the needle to make sure it is in the port. (That is not bad, but not comfortable). Then when he is sure he is in the port he adds an amount of saline to start. You then sit up with the needle still inserted and has you drink a small cup of Water. If you feel it, (the ole pressure in your chest) then he waits to see how long it takes for the feeling to go away. If too rapidly he adds a bit more until he thinks the timing between drinking and the pressure being released is about right.

What I love is his direction to come back in a month, but earlier if it gets too loose or sooner if it is too tight. I really like his flexiblity.

Now if I could only stop eating before I am uncomfortable. Can't seem to remember to not take the last two or three bites of something that tastes great until it is too late.:faint:I know I will learn, but .......

Marilyn

HI All- Sounds like everyone is getting ready for their first fills. Mine is tomorrow. My doctor doesnt use fluro, so we will see. But I do know that I have to be on liquids for two days and then mushies for two. Its amazing how different the treatment and follow up depending on the doctors. Well good luck to all of you, I will let you know how I have made out.