Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Biggest Loser - good or bad?

I know Diane! I DVR the show as well and always forward thru the commercials and then know that I need to forward a bit when the show is back on because it is a recap from the last bit before the break. Do they think our attn spans are that short? As if I forgot what happened 3 minutes ago?? Weird editing! Whatever..I still love the show and love watching the day after with my fast forward capabilities.

I haven't attached to any of the cast on this season yet. Has anyone else? I don't know why. I actually really liked Phil(?) who was sent home. Maybe as the teams whittle down it will get more personal. I am not rooting for one in particular yet.

I haven't attached to any of the cast on this season yet. Has anyone else? I don't know why. I actually really liked Phil(?) who was sent home. Maybe as the teams whittle down it will get more personal. I am not rooting for one in particular yet.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't picked a fave yet!

For those who watch The Biggest Loser, do you think it is a helpful television program or sets people up with unreal expectations for weight loss and exercise goals? Even though I know that losing 8+ pounds a week isn't going to happen for people who can't devote every minute to exercise, I still think it is a motivating program. And, for some reason, I really like Jillian Michaels. It doesn't feel exploitive like Fat March or other reality shows. What do you guys think?

I think The Biggest Loser is a terrible program. Not only does it set unrealistic expectations, but the poor contestants fall in to one of the great dieting traps; by loosing weight rapidly, your body goes in to famine mode and you loose muscle mass as well as fat. When you stop or slow the rate of dieting, your body comes out of famine mode and rapidly stores fat.

That means, you drop 10lbs of fat and muscle on the program and then put back on 10lbs of fat. One of the winners here in Australia now advertises Jenny Craig, because she put on so much fat she had to start dieting again! And we all know what it's like to have a see-swaing weight, don't we?

I looked at a lot of diets before I decided to have my band, and a long slow permanent change to my weight is what I want. Do it once, do it right.

Tiki:

Bad move! If you're on this website that means you also have /had a weight problem. We need to feel free to discuss whatever we want and give our opinions.

Why bad? The question was whether those who watch the program think it's a good or bad program. I think it is a bad program because it sets unrealistic expectations. Please feel free to discuss your opinion about the program rather than flaming my opinion.

Maybe if all of you devoted a little more of your TV watching time to exercise you wouldn't be in this situation. You don't have the "time" or "determination" for exercise but you have "time" for TV and the "determination" to get a Lap-Band. Seriously this is an hour long show... sometimes two hours... and you are here complaining that in the real world you can't realistically do this, get real. Want to try and separate TV from Reality....try "separating" your rear from the couch your "reality" wouldn't be so large...

Colsie, I believe jelbel was referring to the above statement.

Oops! The reply came back to me (as an email response). I didn't think I was being a bringer of doom. Now I understand! Sorry Jelbel.

Where's tiki2007's response to all of this?

I'm not really attached yet, but Kae is an inspiration to me. Even though she is the smallest one there, she has really kicked butt on the scales. She is the only one that has withdrew from every food related temptation so far and I think that she is very dedicated. I really liked Phil too and thought he probably could have won. I am glad that Amy went home last night. She was too whiny and complained too much.

Maybe if all of you devoted a little more of your TV watching time to exercise you wouldn't be in this situation. You don't have the "time" or "determination" for exercise but you have "time" for TV and the "determination" to get a Lap-Band.

Let me get this straight. You found this web site and created a user profile and then searched the 10,000+ post and this is what you come up with as your one post to society? I think we have a new biggest loser and If I see anyone else using quotation marks in the "wrong place" I will know it is you.

Moderator: Please send my "be nice email" now. :lol:

Julie - I'm not sure if you may have misread Living's post or are possibly just poking fun back at her. Just in case, Living didn't use the quote button correctly. She was actually trying to criticize Tiki's original post.

I agree with Living. It is odd that someone would find this thread and take the time to sign up just to post such a ignorant comment then disappear which looking at Tikki's profile info is exactly what appears to have happened.

Maybe if all of you devoted a little more of your TV watching time to exercise you wouldn't be in this situation. You don't have the "time" or "determination" for exercise but you have "time" for TV and the "determination" to get a Lap-Band. Seriously this is an hour long show... sometimes two hours... and you are here complaining that in the real world you can't realistically do this, get real. Want to try and separate TV from Reality....try "separating" your rear from the couch your "reality" wouldn't be so large...
Maybe if all of you devoted a little more of your TV watching time to exercise you wouldn't be in this situation. You don't have the "time" or "determination" for exercise but you have "time" for TV and the "determination" to get a Lap-Band.

Let me get this straight. You found this web site and created a user profile and then searched the 10,000+ post and this is what you come up with as your one post to society? I think we have a new biggest loser and If I see anyone else using quotation marks in the "wrong place" I will know it is you.

Moderator: Please send my "be nice email" now. :lol:

Living the dream, you are totally inappropriate. These boards are used for a variety of reasons. Get a life.