Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Biggest Loser - good or bad?

I think he/she deserved everything that was said to him/her.

A lot of us work out around here. Some more than others, but many of us put in much more effort than many naturally thin people do. It pisses me off that people assume because we are fat, we are lazy. We are here trying to do something about it and snotty asshole comments from people like tiki are not helpful in our struggle.

well said babygrl...well said

I don't watch much tv at all so I haven't seen this show many times - perhaps 2 or 3, and probably never saw an entire episode. So I understand that I may not get the larger picture of what's going on. Knowing that, the concept of this show really makes me mad. Just like so many shows like it do. They take people who know they have a problem, and (I assume) really want help overcoming it, and then try to sabotage them for ratings.

This is probably 2 years ago, at least, but I caught a preview for an upcoming season of this show. It showed people crying while exercising, etc. -- and I remember them showing a long clip of one very large lady bawling and crying like a baby, blabbering out something like I just want food!!! Please just let me eat. I need to eat!!" I thought that was so disgusting. I thought it gave America exactly the picture of obesity they wanted. But I understand it gets the ratings.

I have this conversation with the tv crowd I work with (the ppl who can tell you everyone's name and who their allied with, who's doing who, etc.) and they say "But these people know that's going to happen." That's fine, but the idea of trying to sabotage these people's progress still irritates me. I'd rate it along with "Temptation Island."

I have to disagree respectfully with Wheetsin. First off, I must say that I hate reality TV. I don't watch it and I don't respect shows that exploit people aka Temptation Island, Fat March, etc.

But with the Biggest Loser, I really think this show is improving the health of not only the contestants but viewers as well. The show provides diet information (e.g. switching to ground turkey instead of ground beef) and nutrition facts for people who might not know these things, have internet access or a trainer. But most importantly, I think it provides motivation. People see real people losing weight and they think "I can do that".

As an example, my sister and brother-in-law started a Biggest Loser challenge to see which one could lose weight and exercise more during the run of the show. And for myself, I hit a speed bump in my own exercise routine, failing to exercise for five days in a row. Watching my taped episode of the BL today got my butt off the couch and into a 40 minute work out.

Sure, NBC makes money off the sweat of these folks. But the people are gaining something from the experience and so are the viewers.

Just my two cents - :-)

nkent this is great? Can you tell us what weight you came from and what your weight loss goals are?

came from 295 I now weigh 173

I love watching The Biggest Loser but the only criticism I have of it is why do they make the guys take off their shirts to get weighed? If they all kept their shirts on, it would be even. The girls wear the skimpy tops. I just think that this could possibly be embarrassing to some of them and it would be nice if they would be allowed to be more modest. I know I would be uncomfortable if it were me.:embarassed:

I totally agree. I would hate standing up there in a bra and then this week the team that won got a massage. OMG I would have been so uncomfortable with someone I don't know touching my fat!!! LOL

Oh wow, yes I saw that. Also, one of the girls being massaged had her towel really low, but they only showed it for a second. I was thinking that i would hate that.

"The Biggest Loser" is my guilty pleasure. :)

I especially find the season finales inspirational...because it shows just how much exercise can play a role in shaping how one's body looks. They wouldn't look half as good had they only lost weight from dieting alone. I use TBL as my motivation to exercise. :)

Of course, the contestants have trouble maintaining their weight loss and exercise regime long-term... but hey, we have our Bands. Now, we just need to keep up with the exercise. Actually, that's one thing my Band gave me... I discovered I really loved working out. I hated gym class as a fat kid... but I love lifting weights, yoga, and doing very easy choreography aerobic tapes. :Banane20:

[rant on]

From my personal POV this is one of the worst sorts of "reality" TV. It takes advantage of people who are in a desperate situation for others' entertainment. Sure, people who have attention-whore disorder and don't mind parading their personal pain in public can lose a lot of weight with all the help they are given. But what they go through has less than no bearing on anyone's real life. And I am 100% positive that, as with the general population, 95% of those contestants will gain all of their weight back and more over time.

I can't imagine what would make it worth going through that process so publicly and having the experience follow me around the rest of my life. If boot-camp style tactics worked permanently, I'd have been able to avoid a life of morbid obesity after "fat camp" at age 10.

[/rant over]

As with all reality shows, they signed up for it! No one put a gun to their heads to do it. The show is not bad like other reality shows out there. At least B.L. provides those who are on the show and the public on ways to lose the weight. What other show is doing that? I bet, those individuals who've watched the show have been motiviated to start doing something to change their lives better their health. For me it's just that, a motivator to get out and get moving to lose this weight that burdens many people today. So kudos to Bigger Loser!!!!!

HI all, I'm involved in a Biggest Loser format at my gym. It's Awesome! I'm 5'6" 40yo currently 291 pre surgery, waiting for a date. I've lost 9 lbs in 3 weeks, but the gym is my second home.

I enjoy watching the show. Though I don't have the machines they have to excercise, and the special trainer, I'm encouraged to keep going. To keep losing so that my goal is met.