Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low iron..... infusions?

Ok, so I understand our bodies do not absorb Iron after RNY bypass, but are infusions the only option if you become anemic?? And how is an ibfusion done? Is it like an IV?? So what the long term effect of low Iron, which is basically not enough red blood cells? Anyone hear of severe complications years out? Im getting more nervous by the minute, hearing about all these complications, gout, anemia etc.Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

My surgery is tomorrow on 9/19 so I don't have personal experience but I am a nurse and have given Iron infusions. We start an IV and run the infusion 15-30 min. Usually needed for people who are very anemic but don't quite qualify for a blood transfusion. Being anemic too long wears down ur heart, so take ur Iron pills and eat ur Protein as red meat. Green leafy veggies are also great.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgery is tomorrow on 9/19 so I don't have personal experience but I am a nurse and have given Iron infusions. We start an IV and run the infusion 15-30 min. Usually needed for people who are very anemic but don't quite qualify for a blood transfusion. Being anemic too long wears down ur heart, so take ur Iron pills and eat ur Protein as red meat. Green leafy veggies are also great.

It looks like we share surgery dates. My RNY is tomorrow the 19th at 8 am. I am interested in your insights about iron and infusions. My brother-in-law had a sleeve procedure done in May and he had to have an infusion this past Friday.

Sent from my SM-P900 using the BariatricPal App

Thank you, saved 315

I just went through an Iron infusion a month ago. It took about 6 hours start to finish using Infed. I had no side effects of any kind. Now that my iron levels are up, my energy level has also gone up a great deal. The only downside was how long it took. You are sitting most of the time, but you can get up and take your infusion with you to the restroom if you need to go. I took my tablet with me to watch movies and to read.

There is another infusion drug that only takes 30 minutes and you do it twice in 2 weeks. It is a far more expensive drug. Your insurance coverage may vary depending on which infusion you choose. The 6 hour drug, Infed, is the cheaper infusion.

I just went through an Iron infusion a month ago. It took about 6 hours start to finish using Infed. I had no side effects of any kind. Now that my Iron levels are up, my energy level has also gone up a great deal. The only downside was how long it took. You are sitting most of the time, but you can get up and take your infusion with you to the restroom if you need to go. I took my tablet with me to watch movies and to read.

There is another infusion drug that only takes 30 minutes and you do it twice in 2 weeks. It is a far more expensive drug. Your insurance coverage may vary depending on which infusion you choose. The 6 hour drug, Infed, is the cheaper infusion.

How offten do you have to get infusions CharlotteKat:?

My hematologist told me that the frequency of Iron infusions varies. If you are still having a period then you may need it more than once a year. They will check your Iron level about 2 months after your infusion to estimate when you will need it again. If you are peri-menopausal or in menopause then you may be able to make the infusion last up to 2 years. I go back in mid October to have my levels checked.

One thing is for sure, you will feel better after about 3 weeks. My energy level is so much better now.