Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hit goal at 6 months...now what? :/

I'm one week shy of 6 months from surgery (RnY), and I've already hit my goal weight of 200lbs (this was the weight discussed with my surgical team and my own personal goal). My highest weight last year was 330 and my weight when I began the process was 328, so I'm about 130lbs down since October of 2015, 100 on the nose from surgery.

So...now what? My surgical team advised it would most likely be 9 mos - 1 year before I hit my goal and would probably plateau many times along the way. i guess I'm kinda concerned that I've lost so much, so fast, and haven't really plateaued at all (even though I was mentally preparing myself for it). This isn't a boastful post in any way, shape or form. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has hit goal this fast and...where do you go from here? Did you lose a lot more past your goal? My bariatric NP said to enjoy it and lose as much as I can.

I'm looking at running a 5k in the next few weeks, and I worry with the increase in exercise, I may lose even more, faster. Proper nutrition while training is also going to be a major concern, but my dietitian gave me the name of an RD that has a site - BariAthletes, who deals specifically with this.

Thanks, all! :)

Edited by nearperfectmess

Congratulations on hitting your goal!

For me, once I hit my goal then I reevaluated my goal to determine is this where I really want to end up?

I know there is a typical 10 to 15% regain over time so once I hit goal I began to consider losing a bit more just so I had some wiggle room. I would have liked to have stopped at 155 but my body decided 158 was good enough and I have been maintaining between 158 and 162 since March.

The other thing I would say is maintenance is so very hard compared to the weight loss phase and I thought that was really hard. I did not lose my weight as quickly as you, it took me 18 months to get to my ultimate goal.

The last 30 were the hardest and I fought for every pound.

Maintenance takes a while to figure out and honestly I have learned that if I slip up at all, it is easy to gain back a few pounds. I am currently sitting at 162 trying to lose the 4lb gain and maybe just a few more.

Once you get to your ultimate goal, then it is time to start adding in some whole grains if you haven't done that already.

At the end of the days, it is up to you to decide if you are happy where you are at or if you want to go a bit further......

Best of luck!

I have no useful advice because I am hit my goal at about 8 months out so I kinda got the same questions. Your progress is amazing! Don't you prefer this problem to the alternative! Congrats!

I am in a similar boat. I also started at a similar weight to you (333).

My surgeon doesn't set goal weights, but he thought I should be able to get down around 200. That didn't seem low enough for me (I'm 5'8"), so I set a personal goal of 185.

Well, I hit sub-200 about 4.5 months post-op. I hit 185 at about 5.5 months.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Per BMI, I'm not "normal" weight until around 165. Do I shoot for that?

I'm actually going to get a DEXA body scan next week to help guide me. With the excess skin and the difficulty in seeing me the size I actually am I'd like some more statistical feedback. Depending what my body fat % is will help me chose rather I try to shed a few more pounds or if I try and shift into maintenance.

Fantastic!!! Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon doesn't set goal weights, but he thought I should be able to get down around 200. That didn't seem low enough for me (I'm 5'8"), so I set a personal goal of 185.

Now I'm trying to figure out where to go from here. Per BMI, I'm not "normal" weight until around 165. Do I shoot for that?

I'm actually going to get a DEXA body scan next week to help guide me. With the excess skin and the difficulty in seeing me the size I actually am I'd like some more statistical feedback. Depending what my body fat % is will help me chose rather I try to shed a few more pounds or if I try and shift into maintenance.

you lost 133 pounds in 4.5 months? holy shit!!!

you lost 133 pounds in 4.5 months? holy ****!!!

No, I was down 133lbs 4.5 months post-op, but that was about 6 months after I began my pre-op weight loss. So it was 133lbs in 6 months, not 4.5.

As an update, I'm down to 165 as of this morning. I'm now half the man I used to be, and only 1 pound away from being at a "normal" BMI. I'm now at 168 lbs lost in a total of 8 months and 10 days.

Being men

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I hate to say it, but it's true. They did warn my entire bariatric class at mayo that men do lose faster than women.

It's interesting to see my post and where I am now.

I'm now 7 months out from surgery and blew way past my goal. I'm 189lbs now (OMG), for a total loss of 141lbs since November of last year and 111lbs since surgery. And not too long after that last post I took a tumble with my dog and broke my foot, and have been in a cast since (and will be for another 7 weeks). I was nervous that I'd gain weight, but I'm still losing. So much that my NP told me the other day that I may get to the point that people start to say that I'm "too thin" or look gaunt. She said I will eventually gain some back and will even out, but to lose as much as I can (safely) so that I'm in a good position.

Being at home for a few weeks was a good challenge to stay away from snacking and eating while bored. I had a snack here or there, but made good choices and somehow, I'm 11lbs under my original goal.

I'm also REALLY sick of buying new clothes. lol

Info on your meal plans and exercise regimine would be greatly appreciated. My goal is 200lbs off, setting me at 185. Anything under 195 woukd work for me. I was thinking that 100lbs in a year would be a realistic goal, and i am 1/3 of the way there 2 weeks post op, but i would love to hit goal in the first year. Tips and tricks would be a locely gift!

HW 385 SW 359 Sleeved 10/5/16

I essentially try and eat "real food" as much as possible. I get in 60g of Protein a day and my 64oz of fluids (usually more). I don't have a calorie goal, but it usually ends up being 800-1000 a day. This would be a somewhat "normal" day:

Breakfast: Protein shake

Half a banana

Peanut powder (PB2 like, but without the sugar)

Cocoa powder (unsweetened)

chocolate Almond Milk (unsweetened)

LUNCH: I cook up about 4 weeks of lunches in advance. Recent Meals:

Bean Soup

Split Pea Soup

Black Bean Quinoa chicken Enchilada Casserole

Spanish chicken Stew

Dinner:

Animal Protein (Chicken/Shrimp/Scallops)

Veggie (green Beans, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli)

Snack: fruit (varies). Examples:

Strawberries

Blueberries

Watermelon

That's pretty typical for me, and I don't really stray from that too much.

As far as exercise goes, I am not strict about it, but I try to get to the gym at least twice a week (been very inconsistent lately) for a "real" workout - running and weight lifting. Then I try and get out a go for a walk with my dog and/or daughter a couple times a week. Just a mile or two.

That's it. I've been eating this way pretty much since I got to the "normal food" stage. The food I eat is delicious. I get hungry, but when I do, I just eat. But I eat good foods.

The only tough part, for me, is what I can't eat. But as the months go by I care less and less about that. Once in awhile something my family is eating looks SO good to me. I will often take a TINY bite of these things (like a tiny pinch) and almost always I think "man, that wasn't as good as it looked".

Info on your meal plans and exercise regimine would be greatly appreciated. My goal is 200lbs off, setting me at 185. Anything under 195 woukd work for me. I was thinking that 100lbs in a year would be a realistic goal, and i am 1/3 of their way there 2 weeks post op, but i would love to hit goal in the first year. Tips and tricks would be a locely gift!

And I believe you can get to any weight you want. Just follow your plan. Like I said above, my personal goal started at 185. That seemed IMPOSSIBLE at first. Like you, I would have been happier had I lost even less that that. My thought was anything under 225 would be great.

I'm at 165 and still losing. Albeit not nearly as fast, but I am still losing 2 lbs a week. I feel I could get to the 150s even 140s if I wanted to. The surgery is an amazingly effective tool.

Info on your meal plans and exercise regimine would be greatly appreciated. My goal is 200lbs off, setting me at 185. Anything under 195 woukd work for me. I was thinking that 100lbs in a year would be a realistic goal, and i am 1/3 of their way there 2 weeks post op, but i would love to hit goal in the first year. Tips and tricks would be a locely gift!

And I believe you can get to any weight you want. Just follow your plan. Like I said above, my personal goal started at 185. That seemed IMPOSSIBLE at first. Like you, I would have been happier had I lost even less that that. My thought was anything under 225 would be great.

I'm at 165 and still losing. Albeit not nearly as fast, but I am still losing 2 lbs a week. I feel I could get to the 150s even 140s if I wanted to. The surgery is an amazingly effective tool.

How tall are you?