Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hand on your heart - how bad were the first few days after getting sleeved?

I'm going in tomorrow, and would like a realistic idea of the aftermath of surgery and what to expect. My surgeon operates mostly on an outpatient basis and I should be home by early afternoon. What am I really in for, based on your experience?

How did it go?? Hope all is well

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

To be honest, it was a very, very rough day. I experienced severe nausea and I think that I had a bad reaction to the anasthesia. Came home in the afternoon. My husband is taking amazing care of me. I have no desire whatsoever for food - only sips of Water and sugar-free ice pops.

Hoping for a better day today. am glad that I did it and glad that the surgery is now behind me. Now mustt focus on getting better and stronger. Thank you, everyone.

I only had gas pain in my shoulder of all places but other than that you get liquid pain meds and you sleep for most of the day ...once the pain meds start to wear off you feel some pain like you were stabbed in the side but you just re-up on the pain meds and you're back to good graces !!!! This is only for 1 week then you'll feel back to normal !

Hi, 6 days out and feeling good. I really did not have any issue after surgery. I kept my mind positive that all would be ok. I was kept in the hospital overnight and up walking every hour which I believed helped me feel better. I never took one once of pain meds. My surgeon was shocked no pain meds. I never had morphine so I was afraid not sure how I would feel on it. Good luck and keep a positive mind all will be good!!!!

Mine were great! I had no pain or nausea and I walked around a couple hours after the surgery. I was discharged on 3rd day, walked 5 miles home, never took any pain meds.

I'm 8 days post-op now, the only thing I regret is stupidly eating some (murderous) shrimp and vomiting. Thankfully nothing happened, it was just unpleasant.

skinnyjeans, if your experience is like most people's, you are in the very hardest part now. I was sleeved on August 11 (exactly two weeks ago), and for the first day or two was very nauseated, I think from the anesthesia and the pain relievers they gave me. Other than that, my abdomen was very very very sore, like I had done 10,000 sit ups. It was hard to stand, hard to sit, hard to move around in bed. This made it hard to sleep -- never knew I moved so much in the night until each time woke me up!

But after day 2 each day was appreciably easier than the last. A week after my surgery I went out to dinner (well, I looked at my friend's dinner) and a Broadway show to Celebrate a friend's birthday. Absent real complications, God forbid, you will feel noticeably better every day. During this time, if you're tired, rest! You'll have days when you feel perfect and then suddenly you get very tired...listen to your body.

Emotional ups and downs are very common too. Not only has your body just been through a lot, there's all the mental and emotional work and pain that got us to this place. So be gentle with yourself.

Congrats on your surgery and here's to a smooth recovery!

I'm four days post op (VSG 23rd August with hiatus hernia repair) and I was in hospital for 2 nights after surgery. I took all the pain medication and anti-nausea drugs they offered, even if I was feeling fine when they came round. Since getting home I've continued to take all the drugs the doctor prescribed and will do for at least the first week.

I have had no pain, just a bit uncomfortable around the lower rib cage. I haven't had any nausea at all. I can sip drinks and slowly eat pureed food which feels odd rather than painful. I did have a painful stab in my left side once but that was when I did what I'd been told not to do - lift anything heavy, I forgot and picked up a laundry basket - which was only for a second.

(just to add, apparently they had trouble controlling my pain in the recovery room immediately after surgery but I can't remember any of that at all as I was still partly under the general anaesthetic)

I'm very surprised at how well I am feeling. I am sleeping a lot and twice a day I stroll around in the fresh air followed by an hour's nap. I'm taking a few weeks off work too. My surgeon is really pleased with me, she says nurses and doctors make the worst patients as we think we know better, but I'm following the post-op plan down to the tiniest detail and I'm so pleased it all went so well.

Edited by Clea

At 66 three years ago, I spent about 10 hours in the hospital, went home, took only one pain pill. Went to the grocery store the next day, walking slowly and reading labels. Walked through the mall four days later. I honestly wondered if I really had surgery, because I never had pain or nausea. It was so easy compared to some others' experiences.

@@skinnyjeansatlast,

Congratulations on your surgery!

I didn’t get the sleeve, but I think you have gotten some great answers here. Everyone has a different experience. It could be very painful after surgery, or it could be smooth sailing. A lot of it is out of your hands, but there are some things you can do to help yourself, even at this point.

Probably the biggest thing is to hit your Fluid recommendations. It’s hard, I know, but that’s the one thing that can help you heal faster and get over pain and nausea faster. You can also try using walking as a pain management technique.

You are probably in the hardest phase now, so stay positive and think about the benefits!

I'm only 4 days post op but for me it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. I woke up in recovery with no pain or nausea, made it back to my room and immediately had to use the restroom. I was still half drugged and clumsy but made it with the help of a nurse and back. Still at that point feeling no pain. About an hour later i had walked up and down the hall, the fog had lifted and i could feel some tightness in my tummy. I had out patient surgery so I got dressed and left, made it up 2 flights of stairs at my mothers house had a few sips of Water and passed out in a recliner. Woke a few hours later to some pain meds because i was starting to feel sore. Not thinking of my new tiny stomach a swallowed the whole dose and immediately puked it back up. I only got sick one other time late in the night and the next morning i woke up feeling very tired and a bit sore. Now its day four and im back at my desk job working. Im still tender and my lower back aches from some of the positions i have put myself in to prevent stomach pain, and still very tired, but doing a lot better than i thought I would be at this point. Now my biggest issue is getting all these fluids down! Best of luck!!

Hello,

The first few days were not that bad. My chest hurt a lot but the meds controlled it. I was very sleepy but I was shocked at how well I felt really quickly. Best thing I have ever done :) Good luck!

I am six weeks out and was surprised by how easy I thought the process was.

No nausea, no pain - I think I used the pain button twice. No gas pain and I was drinking Water 4 hours after surgery.

Got released from the hospital after two days and found the elevator in my building was out! Had to climb 7 flights of stairs to get home. Went back to work at day 5. A little fatigue was my only symptom for a week or two.

I'm 5 days out. Second day in the hospital I was very nauseated. Dr said it should be gone by the next day. It was 80 percent gone pain was fine, it's just the first few walks. I've just been sipping on Protein Shakes and tried a little yogurt. The unknown stinks, but I feel like if we do what they say it will all work out perfect

Everyone is different .

I'm post five weeks. Two days in hospital a few wind pains and soreness. Very thirsty but found it difficult to consume very much at all for two days . Then found warm drinks much better than cold. Very tired. When I came out of hospital. Kept drinking and consumed liquid broth Soups . Didn't feel hungry. Sucked mints to help with the wind. Took lansaprazole to help heal stomach and protect from acid paracetamol for the pain . Things really do get better week by week . Best wishes xox