Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks for sharing, Brittany! :)

http://www.seriouseats.com/vegan-experience

I love this website for recipes. This is a page focused on vegan cooking.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for sharing! Can't wait to get in that kitchen with all these new recipes!

I just bought his book. Is your Protein goal just 30 grams for the day?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

In between 30 and 50 grams. Honestly though, I don't count. Maybe that's a mistake, but I'm eating a vegan diet with some vegetarian meals; everything is predominately whole-foods. I feel amazing! I can't wait to go to my 6mo post op appointment and check in with him.

Dr. Garth has truly changed by life.

All the other bariatric surgeons tell us to eat between 60 - 80 grams but I found his book pretty compelling for a lower Protein diet. Not sure I can do the vegan thing, though so I haven't actually tried it yet. The book didn't have a very extensive diet plan. Did they give you much in the way of guidelines?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Not too much of a guide plan. Just whole, plant based foods. Fruits, veggies, legumes, etc. The options are truly endless and SUPER delicious.

I personally don't eat animal Protein or dairy, minimal meat replacements, and minimal processed foods.

My husband, who ate red meat at every meal before my surgery, has become a vegetarian. We both love how we feel and are astonished that the strong craving for sweets has completely diminished.

Not sure how helpful this has been. I'm just going by my personal experiences :)

@@BrittneyMarie I found your posts very interesting. I'm 2.5 weeks out from my sleeve surgery and a long time vegan. My NUT has the same Protein goal as most, of 70grams. At this point with my restriction being so small I'm finding it hard to reach with Beans, and other whole plant foods so I'm still heavily using the protein powders. I am concerned about consuming so much protein in the long term but at this point I am convinced it's important for healing and muscle maintenance. I've got a lot to figure out but I'm glad I was already vegan before surgery. I definitely feel like my recovery has been on the easier end of the spectrum, not a lot of pain and my energy is returning. Even did a light workout at the gym yesterday.

On 8/16/2016 at 0:55 PM, BrittneyMarie said:

I was just wondering if there is anyone that is thinking of weight loss surgery or has had weight loss surgery that eats a plant based diet?

On April 11, 2016 I had the gastric sleeve done. Once I started my liquid diet and no longer was eating meat, I just switched to a plant based diet and never looked back. I still will occasionally have traces of dairy in something I eat, but I'm working on switching to a vegan diet.

Would love to hear your post-surgery plant based meals if this is something you are also going through.

Brittney :)

Brittney thanks so much for all the info. I fully intend to switch to a plant based diet & my wife is on board as well. My only fear is I have no ideawhere to begin or how to incorporate meals into our lives. I'm hoping to have my surgery in April or May. This may seem like it would be simple but from someone who's never done such a thing I feel so lost. Any suggestions you might have or words of encouragement would be much appreciated.

I am a Raw Vegan chef so transitioning back to veganism won't be much of an issue. I've been one for 11 years but fell off the wagon several years ago. I've done plenty of research and believe veganism is right for me.

Hi Brittany!

Wow! Your success is SO inspiring....especially since I will also have surgery with Dr. Davis. I look forward to hearing about your continued success with the plant based diet. I am so interested!!! Take care!

had a gastric sleeve a year ago tomorrow. Lost a bunch, put some back on. Starting to make the transition to plant based for my health mostly (reflux, diabetes, etc). I have read lots of good information and have seen Forks Over Knives, it was informative. My questions is on supplements. Of course our bariatric doctors say Multi-Vitamin and Calcium supplement forever specifically for bariatric patient. Plant Based information says don't take any supplements. What do you all do? Trying to find a good middle ground. I'm on day 3 of my transition of trying to go plant based, what is your advice?

had a gastric sleeve a year ago tomorrow. Lost a bunch, put some back on. Starting to make the transition to plant based for my health mostly (reflux, diabetes, etc). I have read lots of good information and have seen Forks Over Knives, it was informative. My questions is on supplements. Of course our bariatric doctors say Multi-Vitamin and Calcium supplement forever specifically for bariatric patient. Plant Based information says don't take any supplements. What do you all do? Trying to find a good middle ground. I'm on day 3 of my transition of trying to go plant based, what is your advice?

I never thought about this but I suggest to go as your body tells you. It's very hard to say no supplements if you obviously need them, like Iron and B Vitamins , because you will notice the effects of being deficient quickly.

6 hours ago, Ladybug2012 said:

I think as a bariatric patient you should generally err on the side of caution. The only Vitamin supp I'm really concerned about is Calcium because of the research Dr. Greger has talked about that shows calcium supplements can increase the risk for CVD, blood clot, and stroke. So... I don't know. I'll definitely be taking everything as recommended immediately following surgery. But it's the long-term I have concerns about. If after 6-12 months I'm eating enough greens, chia, Beans, and fortified soy milk to meet the 1000mg dietary recommendation, I might opt to stop the supplement for the reasons mentioned above.