Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am so concerned that my skin will be flabby and floppy. I don't want to look older. I chose the sleeve so I wouldn't lose the weight too fast. But am I the only one thinking about how their skin is going to react?

I'm a big girl and think I'm sexy. I don't want to lose my confidence. If it wasn't about getting to a healthy weight and maintaining then I don't know ....

Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It's my understanding that weight lost in the sleeve is fast and primarily the excess weight lost is in the very first year. You have up to 2 years to get your skin to reduce before attempting any plastic work. Stay hydrated and keep up on exercises, especially ones that help reduce excess skin by toning muscles. bmi.png

Loose skin bothers some more than others. How skin behaves post op is highly individual. My skin was flabby and floppy with rolls of fat pre op. Now it still flabby and floppy but fat free. I prefer the later.

@@luvelye1101

Its normal to fear the unknown outcome of your weight loss. Some insurance companies will cover skin removal if you have documented rashes from your surgeons office.

I think some of the loose skin photos scared me. I expected the worst. My loose skin was not as bad as I thought it would be. My confidence is 100% improved with my smaller healthier package.

@@luvelye1101 I asked my doc about loose skin (which I think is inevitable) but he suggested proper hydration and weight training to help the skin bounce back. I have read about skin firming lotions also.

I am concerned about loose skin too (I am pre-op) but anyone I have asked has said they would take the loose skin over the weight any day.

weight loss with the sleeve can be fast. I was loosing a pound a day in the beginning. In almost a year I have lost 200 lbs including my pre op loss...for reference

the skin is a concern, but it's better to have loose skin than to be overweight and unhealthy in my opinion

@@luvelye1101

I watched skin tight on TLC and one thing that show makes clear is no matter how you lose the weight, fast or slow, if your skin is stretched out, it is stretched out. They have people on there that took 5 years to lose their weight without surgery and their skin is still ruined. So it doesn't matter how fast or slow you lose the weight, and in that case, you might as well lose if fast and get the health benefits.

I have lost about 150lbs in a year and yeah I am flabby, I still have at least another 50 pounds of fat I need to lose. Still my skin isn't just loose skin, it is filled with fat.

I don't look delicious naked, but I look really good in clothes and Shapewear helps a lot. I'm not married, I date. Men don't complain. Now men are calling small (so nice to live in the midwest where everyone is fat as hell).

Don't let the skin concern you, after losing weight my life is enriched in so many ways the skin doesn't even matter, really.

I am scheduled sometime in October. I am fearful of the flab as well. I just can't imagine walking around tucking my skin in my clothes. Is it really that bad? Have anyone attempted weight lifting after healing? Has it helped?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@luvelye1101

I watched skin tight on TLC and one thing that show makes clear is no matter how you lose the weight, fast or slow, if your skin is stretched out, it is stretched out. They have people on there that took 5 years to lose their weight without surgery and their skin is still ruined. So it doesn't matter how fast or slow you lose the weight, and in that case, you might as well lose if fast and get the health benefits.

I have lost about 150lbs in a year and yeah I am flabby, I still have at least another 50 pounds of fat I need to lose. Still my skin isn't just loose skin, it is filled with fat.

I don't look delicious naked, but I look really good in clothes and Shapewear helps a lot. I'm not married, I date. Men don't complain. Now men are calling small (so nice to live in the midwest where everyone is fat as hell).

Don't let the skin concern you, after losing weight my life is enriched in so many ways the skin doesn't even matter, really.

Great response. I'm pre-op and after my own research I learned that skin is ruined if it's stretched out so yeah.....I'd rather loose it fast but I agree with all of what u said here. I want to be small and I don't think skin matters. I do it in the dark as it is already lol. Atleast now I'll be able to fit into the lingerie and shape wear I want. Sorry for the tmi

Sent from my SM-G530T using the BariatricPal App

If you're anything like me you've lost and gained weight your whole life. My biggest loss was 70 lbs in 2009 and yeah, my skin didn't look great. Since then I've gained and lost 40 a few times so I'm sure by the time I hit goal I'll look like a deflated balloon, but at least I can tuck it into cute clothes! Lol!

I figure a bit of loose skin that can be covered with pants and sleeves will look much better than what I've got going on now. Maybe I'll be able to do some plastic surgery down the road but the only person who sees me naked is my husband and he'd rather see me healthy and a little droopy. ;)

You're definitely not the only one. I am terrified at the idea of looking like I'm melting. I love being a fat woman and if it wasn't for my health I wouldn't do this. I'm sexy as hell and I don't want to lose that. I want to be able to look sexy naked, not just in clothes, after losing weight. But I have no choice in this anymore, my health plummeted in the last couple years so I can't stay big anymore. I love Water too so I always stay hydrated but like was said, if your skin is stretched out, it's stretched out. I'm hoping that my new insurance I get next year will pay for some skin removal if I have rashes. I can't believe I'm hoping to get rashes! Everything else I'll need plastic surgery on. I have NO idea how I'll pay for it, but it's either that or be miserable. It's okay for your looks to be important to you, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for worrying about it!

I had 1 appointment with a personal trainer...turns out his sister had a sleeve last year and he developed a workout for her, heavy on weight training , that really worked for her, and she was a 49 BMI. Very minimal excess skin.. So he developed a plan for me, too. 50 bucks for a one hr visit, and it was worth every penny. My surgery is this coming Thursday, and as soon as I am cleared, I am doing exactly as he advised.

Sent from my KFASWI using the BariatricPal App