Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery 8/30/07

Hello everyone I'm new here. My surgery is this thursday 8/30 by Dr. Felix I am so nervous I feel sick. I think the thing that most worries me is how I will feel after surgery, Does it hurt? At the same time I wish it would hurry and get here already. My sister was going to have surgery with me on the same day but her insurance won't approve her until she finishes this supervised diet for 6mos. Now I feel alone.

So if someone could tell me what to expect the day of and after it would be great I'm really scared.

Thank you

Roo - Welcome! I was banded on August 17th and was just sore the day after. I kept on top of my pain meds as directed by one of my nurses and have had very little pain, problems or anything. I drink fine, eat all of my allowed foods fine and just have very little soreness around my port area.

Good luck and keep us informed!!! Lots of information on this site. I love it!

Angela

I am so excited for you. I have at least 3 more months to go before I get a date to be banded. I would love to hear how you are doing and what you experience after the Thursday.

Good luck on Thursday.

Hello, I was banded on Wed . Aug 22, I am doing fine, I was extremly nervous going to surgery, but it went great, I had alot of scar tissue from a auto accident that had to remove my spleen so I think I am feeling more pain from he scar tissue removal, but today is Sunday and I am planning on going back to work tomorrow at least half days, I would suggest moving around as much as possible, as it helps with getting the gas out of your system and that is part of the pain, so I would suggest trying to move around without overdoing. Good Luck, hope to hear from you and hope it goes well.

Hello, I was banded on Aug. 20th, I too was very scared. All went well with me as it will with you. Just remember to take you medications and you will do fine. The first day post op I was up and felt great, just a little soreness in the abdomen area. I can drink and eat fine. I go to the doctor for my first post op appt on tues. Just remember to walk and walk and walk. It does help relieve the gas pains and such. I myself did not have much gas pain or referred pain due to the gas. I did have a little diarrhea though. Yesterday I swollowed to tylenol and it was just fine also. You will do great......... Keep us informed........

Nulife2be

Roo, my band date is 8/30 also, not feeling nervous, probably i'm lucky that I have been so busy that all I have time to do is think about what I need to do to be prepared for my post op life! Good luck!

Congrats on your date! :clap2:You'll do fine. I was very nervous also before my surgery which was on Aug. 21st. My pain was a little more intense, but I think that was only because I also had gallbladder surgery on Aug. 14th (one week before). I had a lot of gas pain and the incision sites were really sore but, that's what the pain meds are for.

I stayed overnight having surgery on Tues., staying Tues. nite, and leaving after lunch on Weds. I was a little dizzy which was probably from the meds. I haven't had any meds since Thur.

Yesterday and today I haven't felt too well with my intestines constantly rumbling and running to the bathroom but, from what I've been reading on here on another post that's normal. I was starting to worry myself.

I would suggest that you try to get your pain meds filled before surgery, because you won't feel like going to get them after leaving the hospital. Good luck and keep us all posted.:biggrin1:

Hi,

How are you doing since the surgery. Is food staying down? Do you get full fast?

I have talked with one person and she had it done in May and says she is eating the same volume of food that she always did. That makes me nervous. That shouldn't happen right?

Well I haven't had it done yet. This thursday is the big day. Yes I hope that doesn't happen to me either the whole idea is to restrict food.< /p>

jlw190 - At first, I definately got full faster. Now, almost two weeks out, I can tolerate a little more. I do feel different after eating, though. It is like a switch is going off and saying "you need to stop eating now". I never ever had that feeling before the band. I am anxious for a fill and begin the real journey. I'm still a month away and want to concentrate on healing and re-learning how to eat.

About your friend, has she had any fills? Has she discussed this with her doctor? I am self pay and was told by my physician he is there for every part of my journey and WILL make this work and I tend to get my money's worth! (it helps that my doctor is banded, too)

Good luck and keep in touch!

Angela

I was banded 8/24. After I woke up from anesthesia, I had abdominal pain that was treated with IV pain meds. I was given ice chips when I was ready and gradually became more alert. The pain meds helped and I was walked to the restroom to empty my bladder. No problem there but two others who had surgery that morning couldn't void and were catheterized. I was moved to a recliner and given some ice chips to chew on. About an hour later, doctor Hollis came by and told me I could go home. My sister drove me home and we stopped by the pharmacy on the way to get my pain meds. Took the meds and went to bed when i got home. Woke up off and on and moving around was uncomfortable but tolerable. I just kept taking the meds every four hours. The gas was the most painful, the gas that they extend your abdomen with so they have room to work. I'm now on day four and I feel much better. None of it was unbearable; I made sure to stay medicated to avoid that. I have no pain tolerance. I will be returning to work tomorrow. I have a desk job and I don't expect any difficulties. The walk from parking to desk is going to be the challenge; it's a long walk. I will post tomorrow with how that goes...

Elaine

Hi, I had surgery on August 14th and I feel great. I was a little tender for the first day but was up and walking right away and the more you walk the faster you get rid of the gas. It has been a wonderful experience, I have lost 17 pounds and look forward to loosing much more! You will be fine and it is really quite easy and painless.

FlyGal

I'm SO ready to lose weight! I'm not hungry at all yet. I'm sipping on liquids and that's enough. I'm doing one shake a day; that's all of that I can stand for now.The powder is so sweet and I am NOT a sweets person. I got the vanilla flavor and adding sugar free Nestle's Quik helps but it's still sweet. I'm going to have to figure out another way to get in the Protein, because I will not be able to drink that sweet crap all day! Any suggestions?

Elaine

Thanks! I'll try. I'm loving the broths right now. My sister got her band in April and she kept telling me how nasty the broths were but I love them! Much better than the sweet stuff!