Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know, I know! It will get better..just got sleeved on 7/29. Down 20lbs so far, diabetes is under control for the first time in years, etc...I freaking miss food, and every commercial, every Facebook post, all my fiends posts, everything around me is food. When my wife cooks for her and the kids...ugh...I don't mean to sound so negative but I'm trying to be honest, hopefully someone knows what I'm going through and will give me some insight or somerhing but I can truly say without a shadow of a doubt that so far, I whole heartedly regret the decision to get this surgery...sorry to bring ya'll down but I had to get it out.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

It's tough, especially at first, but only because it's what you're used to, not because your body needs it. You can fall in love with food all over again, but this time, do it with healthy food. Nothing is more satisfying than eating something you find both to be delicious as well as helping you reach your goals at the same time!!

I'd recommend taking up cooking and/or gardening if you're into that and have the time. Gardening has been a wonderful hobby for me and gives me some great ingredients that are healthy, organic and delicious.

Best of luck to you!!

I think regret at this stage you are in is pretty common. You are suffering from surgery, losing a big component of your entertainment and emotional aspects of life (food), and aren't yet seeing any of the benefits of surgery. I am not saying that what you are feeling right now is not valid -- it is completely understandable! But have faith that you will see benefits down the line, including a longer and more active life with your wife and children. I know you must want that. I know that you know that is more important than missing food right now, as hard as missing food is.

You may want to take a ruthless approach to the food/images of food that are giving you grief. For example:

--ask your wife to prepare food that you don't like

--remove yourself from the immediate area when food you miss is being prepared or eaten. Obviously this is a temporary measure. Explain why you are doing it so your family doesn't feel shunned. It's the food you are shunning, not them.

--stay away from Facebook as much as possible, but when you are there, block posts that involve pictures of food. There is something a little satisfying in that! You can also temporarily unfollow people on Facebook who post lots of pictures or descriptions of food.

--turn off the tv or only watch tv from a dvr so you can fast forward through food commercials.

--ask that junk-type foods either be removed from your home, or stored where they are not as likely to be seen (in the back of the cabinet or fridge).

Good luck!

Thank you both, truly, for the helpful words...I will keep pushing though and think of the long run...I more than anything want to have a more active life style with wife and kids and this is the way so I will be patient and realize and always rememeber why I did this in the first place.

If it makes you feel better, I'm almost three-years out and every once in awhile I still miss food too. Most of the time I don't really think about it unless I realize I'm hungry, but there are times such as a special event or a bad day where part of me misses a bowl of icecream in front of the tv. You know what's better than food though? Feeling happy in your own skin, shopping for small clothing, and not spending your free time planning your next diet or workout.

It's ok to miss food...soon enough, you may not even think about it anymore.

I know, I know! It will get better..just got sleeved on 7/29. Down 20lbs so far, diabetes is under control for the first time in years, etc...I freaking miss food, and every commercial, every Facebook post, all my fiends posts, everything around me is food. When my wife cooks for her and the kids...ugh...I don't mean to sound so negative but I'm trying to be honest, hopefully someone knows what I'm going through and will give me some insight or somerhing but I can truly say without a shadow of a doubt that so far, I whole heartedly regret the decision to get this surgery...sorry to bring ya'll down but I had to get it out.

honey of course we know how you feel! You might be getting caught in the future tripping trap, like holy shit I'll never eat thus and such again. I'm fairly certain that I will on occasion eat foods that may be deemed bad and I'm cool with it. The part of my disease I'm not cool with is my obsession with food. it's never been the food I'm scared to lose, it's the obsession, the comfort, loss of control all the trendy but true ways I use it avoid what's right in front of me..

Shit, I'm not losing food! I'm losing the destructive way I interact with it. I want to learn to enjoy food for the reasons it's meant to be used. I want to reject fat as a way of keeping myself barricaded from the world. I don't want to confuse food's real mission. I want to be clear on what it is and what it isn't. I hope for these things for all of us on this journey.

Hold on baby, keep on posting your posts, keep on reaching out. You have no idea how many others you are helping right now this minute. You are, and I know this, a dear person who has the courage to speak where others are afraid. Good for you and as my dear departed mother would say, "You got it going honey so rock on!"

I think regret at this stage you are in is pretty common. You are suffering from surgery, losing a big component of your entertainment and emotional aspects of life (food), and aren't yet seeing any of the benefits of surgery. I am not saying that what you are feeling right now is not valid -- it is completely understandable! But have faith that you will see benefits down the line, including a longer and more active life with your wife and children. I know you must want that. I know that you know that is more important than missing food right now, as hard as missing food is.

You may want to take a ruthless approach to the food/images of food that are giving you grief. For example:

--ask your wife to prepare food that you don't like

--remove yourself from the immediate area when food you miss is being prepared or eaten. Obviously this is a temporary measure. Explain why you are doing it so your family doesn't feel shunned. It's the food you are shunning, not them.

--stay away from Facebook as much as possible, but when you are there, block posts that involve pictures of food. There is something a little satisfying in that! You can also temporarily unfollow people on Facebook who post lots of pictures or descriptions of food.

--turn off the tv or only watch tv from a dvr so you can fast forward through food commercials.

--ask that junk-type foods either be removed from your home, or stored where they are not as likely to be seen (in the back of the cabinet or fridge).

Good luck!

Great advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

honey of course we know how you feel! You might be getting caught in the future tripping trap, like holy **** I'll never eat thus and such again. I'm fairly certain that I will on occasion eat foods that may be deemed bad and I'm cool with it. The part of my disease I'm not cool with is my obsession with food. it's never been the food I'm scared to lose, it's the obsession, the comfort, loss of control all the trendy but true ways I use it avoid what's right in front of me..

****, I'm not losing food! I'm losing the destructive way I interact with it. I want to learn to enjoy food for the reasons it's meant to be used. I want to reject fat as a way of keeping myself barricaded from the world. I don't want to confuse food's real mission. I want to be clear on what it is and what it isn't. I hope for these things for all of us on this journey.

Hold on baby, keep on posting your posts, keep on reaching out. You have no idea how many others you are helping right now this minute. You are, and I know this, a dear person who has the courage to speak where others are afraid. Good for you and as my dear departed mother would say, "You got it going honey so rock on!"

This touched my heart and soul in ways you wouldn't imagine...thank God for this app and such a supportive group of people! I will keep you all posted on my journey and once again, THANK YOU!

I know.

I, too miss food and everything that food represents. I miss the social aspect of food as much as the food it self.

So, we've both said it out loud. Now what???

We can't undo our sleeves. Speaking for myself, I always have to have a "plan". How to I cope with this unexpected development?

This is my viewpoint:

I can look upon my WLS as a "wrong" decision that I'm "stuck" with.

Or

I can turn it all upside down and "make a "wrong" decision "right".

I have chosen to do the latter.

I've taken a deep breath and have started working with my sleeve. I listen to it. Yes, it will growl and groan when unhappy. It will also giggle and gurgle when happy. I've had to learn the difference.

I've learned and am still learning about Herbs--domestic and exotic. I've learned to take ordinary food and make it extraordinary with herbs and spices without adding calories. I now know the difference between OK Protein and high end quality Protein. Big difference there.

Cooking has become my new challenge/hobby. I go out of my way to speak with restaurant owners/chefs to encourage them to offer "small plates" to their menus--just delicious portions of protein and delicately prepared veggies. And I have yet to be denied a "small plate" of my own design at any restaurant.

What am I getting at? I strongly believe that I can either bitch and moan about the surprise of missing/mourning my favorite foods--making myself and my family miserable.

OR

I can become proactive and accept my new life's menu as a healthy challenge.--not only for myself, but for my family as well.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

Will you pick it up????

I know.

I, too miss food and everything that food represents. I miss the social aspect of food as much as the food it self.

So, we've both said it out loud. Now what???

We can't undo our sleeves. Speaking for myself, I always have to have a "plan". How to I cope with this unexpected development?

This is my viewpoint:

I can look upon my WLS as a "wrong" decision that I'm "stuck" with.

Or

I can turn it all upside down and "make a "wrong" decision "right".

I have chosen to do the latter.

I've taken a deep breath and have started working with my sleeve. I listen to it. Yes, it will growl and groan when unhappy. It will also giggle and gurgle when happy. I've had to learn the difference.

I've learned and am still learning about Herbs--domestic and exotic. I've learned to take ordinary food and make it extraordinary with herbs and spices without adding calories. I now know the difference between OK Protein and high end quality Protein. Big difference there.

Cooking has become my new challenge/hobby. I go out of my way to speak with restaurant owners/chefs to encourage them to offer "small plates" to their menus--just delicious portions of protein and delicately prepared veggies. And I have yet to be denied a "small plate" of my own design at any restaurant.

What am I getting at? I strongly believe that I can either b***h and moan about the surprise of missing/mourning my favorite foods--making myself and my family miserable.

OR

I can become proactive and accept my new life's menu as a healthy challenge.--not only for myself, but for my family as well.

The gauntlet has been thrown.

Will you pick it up????

Touché. Great advice...I will start looking up some recipes now so that I have a head start. Thank you, very much for the feedback!

@ Valentina:

I've learned and am still learning about Herbs--domestic and exotic. I've learned to take ordinary food and make it extraordinary with herbs and spices without adding calories. I now know the difference between OK Protein and high end quality Protein. Big difference there

I love this post. I need help with those tips. Didn't realize there is ok protein and high end quality protein.....

@@Justgotsleeved, this is your adjustment period, you will do great. I am cheering for you!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by MemphisWLS

I am 13 months post op, and sometimes I miss some food sometimes too. You are not alone. I can mostly eat whatever I want, just in small quanities. One meal I miss so much is eating a big o deli sandwhich, I miss sitting down and eating that whole deli sando with a bag of chips and washing it all down with a bottle of rootbeer. Mmmmm soda. Some people can stilll eat them but my tummy does not like bread. I can eat toast, or Pizza Crust in small doses but thats about it. I dont watch calories or fat intake. I know I probably should but I suck at diets, always have. Eventually You will be able to eat most of the stuff you used to eat. Somethings will not be as good as they used to be. I used to love icecream, but now its an ocasional treat. My daughter made chocolat chip Cookies today, I used to eat a half dozen in one sitting, now I will probably only eat 1 or 2 out of the whole batch. pizza was a once a week staple for me and I would eat half rhe pizza myself, I just cant stomach it anymore. cheese enchiladads are my new favorite food. One enchilada and I am full. Yumm! And yes those Arbys/Hardees commercial really make me want one of their sandwhichs, but i would never be able to make that work with my stomach.. It gets better , I remember being newly sleeved and wondering if I made a mistake, but thats all gone now. I like shopping in a normal store for clothes. Throwing away my size 58 jeans , and wearing size 38 which are now getting too baggy on me. Going from 5xlt t shirt to an Xl. Having my a1C go down to a prediabetic stage and almost off my blood pressure pills. I promise it will ge better, and us guys lose weight fast! So hang in there buddy!

Edited by Michael Hamilton