Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reality of this is hitting home

Hi Everyone. I had a endoscopy with bravo done yesterday and everything went fine. The problem that happen was when I got home i went into full blown panic attack mode. I suppose I had a real realization of what I was doing.

With that being said, I still feel like this is the best decision for me and my surgery date is August 19, but Im not sure I am strong enough to go through with it. Evelyn

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

What is it that you fear about the surgery ?

Not strong enough in what ways ?

This is so hard for me too explain. I have been dealing with a panic disorder most of my life. You know inappropriate fight and flight response. Although I have been managing them very well for years now. I think I'm afraid of my panic attacks becoming uncontrollable. This must be hard for people to understand who has never had one before. I really need this surgery and I'm not sure I'm strong enough to fight through my panic. Ugh this sounds weirder and weirder the more I write about it.

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I too suffer from a severe panic disorder and my doctor has assured me that in pre op they will give me something for my anxiety and afterwards he will order my anxiety Meds should I need them. Just talk it over with your doctor so he know what to expect. I also has an anxiety service dog who will be staying with me at the hospital

I don't have one yet still in the 6 month waiting period

For what it's worth.....I've had zero complications and zero issues with my sleeve surgery. It was a breeze and living with it is very easy. Weight loss has me feeling better about every aspect of my life.

The experiences that I've had are mirrored by everyone else who posts on my bariatric center's private FB page. Smooth and trouble free.

The only place I see negative comments about the surgeries is here, on BP. Maybe the folks that are having great results just don't post very often....I don't know.

You said earlier that you are certain that this surgery is the best choice for you. That means you've done all the hard work already.....which was making that decision. That is the hard part. You've done it. Finished.

Now all that is left is for you to roll along and have a textbook surgery and enjoy the results.

10 months, 192 pounds, you my hero!

Congrats,

I do see mostly negative reviews about recovery.

Its like reviews online, so its good to see your surgery went well.

I am going into this thinking all is going to be great. If its a little uncomfortable for a week, I can handle it.

I put myself in this situation, so....

jen

10 months, 192 pounds, you my hero!

Congrats,

I do see mostly negative reviews about recovery.

Its like reviews online, so its good to see your surgery went well.

I am going into this thinking all is going to be great. If its a little uncomfortable for a week, I can handle it.

I put myself in this situation, so....

jen

Thank you and that is a great perspective to have. You are going to do great.

The experiences that I've had are mirrored by everyone else who posts on my bariatric center's private FB page. Smooth and trouble free.

The only place I see negative comments about the surgeries is here, on BP. Maybe the folks that are having great results just don't post very often....I don't know.

I'd like to reiterate that. Reading post-op threads on BP had me second guessing my decision. But my private FB group which is 92 members currently has given me the utmost confidence in my decision. (I'm getting sleeved on Monday, so I don't have a post-op experience to share but I am also a lifelong anxiety sufferer and panicked for weeks that I'd die while I was under anesthesia.) I'm feeling better and better as I watch each and every person in my FB group post "I'm out of surgery and feeling some pain but otherwise doing great!"

My fear that I never talk about is that I'll chomp down on the breathing tube and break some of my teeth. I am cursed with naturally fragile teeth and I live in fear of breaking or chipping them. I had my pre-op appointment yesterday and the anesthesiologist was like "ok, so let me tell you that it's a possibility. It's highly unlikely but it could happen. Listen, we care about your teeth too and don't want you to have to go from sleeve surgery straight into dental surgery. So we're very careful and it's really, really unlikely. But worst case scenario, you break a tooth, you get it fixed, life goes on. You can't worry about stuff like that." I'm still worried, but I'm betting it's all going to be fine.

You know honestly, I didn't really have any "pain" to speak of. Sure there was discomfort for a few days after surgery, but that's to be expected. I think if you keep the positive outlook and know that you're doing this for yourself and your family, and keep your eye on your goals, you'll get through it just fine!

Best of luck!